2012 tdi dead, want opinions

speckmc

TDI
2012 Jetta 6mt
ok, so my 2012 TDI which I did a dpf/egr delete and stage 2 refresh on just a few months ago, gave out..

I took it to guy roberts, and they checked it with their computer and said no fuel pressure, and that it looked like the HPFP had failed..

I was driving down the road and the car shut off during acceleration... and wouldn't crank back up, and acts as if it doe indeed not get fuel..

so VW said the HPFP would be covered under warranty... so I had it towed up there...

now VW just called me back and has informed me that they turbo is "completely locked up" and "not allowing any exhaust flow" and that the HPFP is perfectly fine... I find this difficult to believe as it should still allow exhaust to flow even if it is locked up......

so what are the chances that they are trying to pull a fast one, and charge me for a turbo, when its just the hpfp, and I know I can get a CR170 turbo for cheaper than what VW charges for new factory turbo on the car...

please provide thoughts... im trying to call them back and see if they are going to warranty it, or tell me my downpipe voids the warranty... *severe eye roll* if anything the dpf/egr delete would extend the life of the turbo......

fyi the car only has 111k miles on it

2012 TDI-6MT
so what are the chances that

speckmc

TDI
2012 Jetta 6mt
so they are saying without it throwing a fault they cant warranty the turbo.... and because of the tune it won't throw any faults... im calling bull**** on this whole damn thing...

ja_cain

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I can't believe they would even consider covering it with a tune and being deleted. I agree that the removal of the emissions crap potentially extends the life of the motor, but fat chance in the dealership using that kind of thinking to cover something under warranty. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

speckmc

TDI
2012 Jetta 6mt
so I called another VW dealership.... and just told them 1 shop said HPFP, and another shop is telling me the turbo story... and they said "that sounds highly unlikely, and fairly illogical, it should still crank and run with a locked up turbo, it would likely just run like crap"....

so I may be getting this bastard towed right back to guy roberts...

speckmc

TDI
2012 Jetta 6mt
waiting on a call from the warranty administrator at dealership #2, which is actually my usual service spot but its about 60 miles or so away... however after speaking to Guy again, he told me that hes had a good deal of trouble out of the dealership that I had it towed to with them trying to find ways out of warranty work, and telling people stuff is broken that is not......

vw customer care told me that HPFP should be covered, as what ive done doesn't really have an effect on the HPFP.. but we shall see what the warranty admin says tomorrow am..

speckmc

TDI
2012 Jetta 6mt
still would love to hear anyones opinions on what dealership#1 said..

also Guy said my car is reporting 370 bar or psi or something in fuel pressure instead of the 1400 or something that its supposed to have??

side note, I dont really give a crap about it being covered under warranty, and am fully prepared to drop the 500-600$ on the HPFP... I sent it to VW at the request of Guy, who said if its covered I might as well get it done for free instead of paying him... cant beat that logic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It sounds like the hpfp crapped out to me. Check the screen on the pump for debris. I don't think they'd warrantee either the hpfp or turbo with an aftermarket tune. The tune puts added strain on both parts, so they'd have a legit reason to deny coverage. If it is the hpfp, you're looking at way more than $500 to fix. It will almost definitely need the fuel injectors replaced or professionally cleaned/flushed. I think Kerma can flush them if they aren't too damaged. The entire fuel system also needs flushed after a hpfp failure.

speckmc

TDI
2012 Jetta 6mt
It sounds like the hpfp crapped out to me. Check the screen on the pump for debris. I don't think they'd warrantee either the hpfp or turbo with an aftermarket tune. The tune puts added strain on both parts, so they'd have a legit reason to deny coverage. If it is the hpfp, you're looking at way more than $500 to fix. It will almost definitely need the fuel injectors replaced or professionally cleaned/flushed. I think Kerma can flush them if they aren't too damaged. The entire fuel system also needs flushed after a hpfp failure.

Yea that’s why Guy wants me to try to get the pump warrantied

What gets me is dealership #1s service manager told me that they would warranty the HPFP, knowing everything that’s done to the car

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Good luck, I hope they cover it for you. I wouldn't expect it though. I'd be surprised if they'd even work on a deleted car without putting it back to stock due to legality issues.

speckmc

TDI
2012 Jetta 6mt
so it did end up being the turbo.... VW dealership actually loves the car, but won't warranty it lol.... I put a new turbo on it and its fine now

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did the stealership do the repair or other shop?

I would want to see the old turbo myself.