Car wont start, might be starter?

Tjorgensen

TDI
2013 vw jetta tdi
so yesterday 11/20/2019 my 2013 vw jetta was running perfect, started fine and ran fine.

this morning 11/21/2019 i went to start the car and i had a series of lights and noises that where new, one of which being a single higher pitch beep when the 6 normal ones where done. when i went to turn the key all i heard was rapid clicking paired with all of the lights in the car freaking out. but the car wouldnt start. i got 2 different messages on the ODOMETER, they are "--->P/N", and "CLUTCH" so im thinking a clutch position sensor might be out, but the clicking has me thinking the starter might be bad. sadly i dont have a code reader to check the engine light and i cant move the car because it wont start.

Video of issue:
https://youtu.be/pefok9UcpHw

Clutch on ODO:
https://gyazo.com/7b5cb8d7634cb1456ccafcd201bfd797

--->P/N on ODO:
https://gyazo.com/7d2179b0228625a5231762a54042e6f1

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
low voltage is typical of creating high pitch beeps instead of regular beeps. Low voltage also can make multiple sensors produce erroneous codes. I would first say your battery, TDI's require strong batteries. If its truly not your battery, the starter could have failed as well.

Was there a big temperature difference between 11/20 and 11/21? - blame the battery

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Get a multimeter, you tube how to use it and check your battery that way. Sitting in your driveway not running, then trying to start. Those battery check autozone places are often run by kids that are often more conversant with their phones than how to run a test.

Multimeters are less than $30 at walmart or home depot, you don't need an expensive model just a cheap digital one.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
If you have to replace the battery buy a OEM, not some auto zone junk either

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Buy a new battery. Almost everyone at AZ doesn't know **** about **** in my experience. Did they perform a load test ?

Hook up wallmount battery charger put to start mode start car and go get new batt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tjorgensen

TDI
2013 vw jetta tdi
I’ll give trying a whole new battery a shot, I have tried to start the car off a jump and it has the same results. One thing I also noticed is when I turn the key to energize the car I don’t get any hydraulic assist in the breaks either

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Could be your battery is pooched bad enough to stop the car from starting. Starting to sound like it may be the starter though or a grounding issue.

Tjorgensen

TDI
2013 vw jetta tdi
I’m going to try jumping the car without a battery, see if that works, if not I’ll check the grounds on the starter and the starter itself, I’ll keep y’all posted

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I’m going to try jumping the car without a battery, see if that works, if not I’ll check the grounds on the starter and the starter itself, I’ll keep y’all posted
Why did you delete your last post where you mentioned actually jumping it without the battery..and you heard a pop at the alternator?..probably should not have done that:eek: