Snow screen vs. snorkel screen?

spkerer

Veteran Member
Could someone clarify exactly what/where the so-called "snow screen" is compared to the so-called "snorkel screen"?

There is an obvious screen where the air first enters the ducting on it's way to the air filter. Visible as soon as you open the hood, very obvious if you're looking for it.

Is there another screen farther back in the ducting between this initial screen and the air filter box? If so, where in this path is it? Do you need to remove the battery and such to access the part of the ducting necessary to get to this other screen.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't think he's talking about the same thing. You don't see the "snow screen" upon opening the hood. You see a plastic piece with a bunch of holes in it ... that's not it.

To see the "snow screen", you have to take out the last piece of intake duct before the airbox, it's buried inside and completely invisible from outside.

TDIinTX

Veteran Member
TDI
The screen isn't really necessary, but I opted to leave mine in simply because without it the snorkel between the screen and the filter box doesn't fit properly. I replace my air filter every 20,000 miles, and when I do I also take the snorkel screen/snow screen inside and wash it out.

spkerer

Veteran Member
Thanks Brian, that clears it up! Much like the first responder to my message, I had read the messages on the subject that could be interpreted as indicating there's really only one screen. But now I know there is the obviously visible "snorkel screen" and the hidden from sight "snow screen". Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll check my snow screen.

Thanks - Steve

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Is there another screen farther back in the ducting between this initial screen and the air filter box? If so, where in this path is it? Do you need to remove the battery and such to access the part of the ducting necessary to get to this other screen.
a. yes.
b. standing in front, inlet air goes to the right behind the headlight, then a hard left to the 'snorkel', then another left and up into the bottom of the air filter box.
c. I think it's easier done this way.

spkerer

Veteran Member
weedeater said:
a. yes.
b. standing in front, inlet air goes to the right behind the headlight, then a hard left to the 'snorkel', then another left and up into the bottom of the air filter box.
c. I think it's easier done this way.
Thanks for the response, but regarding answer c... what's easier done what way?

I mentioned whether you need to pull the battery and associated housings to access the snow screen in the middle of the ducting. Is there an easy way to get to the snow screen?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Pull the air box off and you will see one bolt holding the tube on remove it and pull that part out you will see the screen in the tube IF there is one. I have see several cars that the screen was never installed on.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
The snow screen looks like panty hose material and once you see it you will understand why it clogs so readily- what were they thinking.

spkerer

Veteran Member
I took a look and sure enough, it was about half clogged. I did indeed remove it. I figure the initial, coarse screen near the radiator is sufficient to keep out big stuff and for the little stuff, I'll rely on the easily replacable (and designed for that purpose) air filter instead of a hidden, non-replacable rigid panty hose!

Thanks for the info. From my readings of this site, I was a confused about whether there were one or two screens. I'm all set now.

Brat

weedeater said:

b. ... then another left and up into the bottom of the air filter box.
In my MY 2000 Jetta, the air enters from the right *side* of the air filter box, where there's a plastic grid immediately visible upon opening the box and removing the paper filter. Presumeably there isn't yet another filter that I've not found yet?