Did I just Kill my turbo on the workbench?

hmr_tym

TDI
'03 Golf
Put a used turbo on the car to replace an exploded one. Been fighting an overboost issue. Couldn't get very much travel at all out of the turbo vane control arm. Ripped the turbo out again and chucked it in the vise. Disconnected the actuator. Put a pair of vise grips on the control arm and filled the turbo with oven cleaner. Started working it back and forth. Getting some good travel out of it. Still cant really move it by hand though, need the vise grips. So i decide to keep it full of oven cleaner and periodically throughout the night go out there and work it through the motions. Last time out there it moved alot farther than it had in one easy motion. i let go the vise grips and the arm falls out of the turbo. Not right out but as if it disconnected from the internal side of the arm. I searched and found some exploded pictures on here. Pretty sure I broke it. So i'm hooped now right? New turbo?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
yup, pretty much unless you're comfortable disassembling the "good" chra and putting the shaft, bearings, and compressor into your old turbo housing ... you have to keep the orientation between the turbine and the compressor perfect and reuse the nut

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Can he use the old nozzle assembly on the new one rather than the good internals in the old?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Can he use the old nozzle assembly on the new one rather than the good internals in the old?
the part he broke is integral with the chra housing and is not removable without grinding out a plug weld ...even then it's difficult to get back in the correct position... the nozzle assembly is removable but this is the control lever that interfaces with the nozzle assembly ... it's a common shaft that passes through the chra hot side flange with a plug welded lever on either side, the rectangular lever is outside the turbo and connects to the vnt actuator, the other peanut shaped lever is inside the turbo and interfaces with the nozzle control ring

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Ok. Never had one apart, fortunately. I thought the whole nozzle assy with the lever came out.

Have to search up some pichers.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Here a some pics that you can relate to...

In the pic below, you can see the "arm" that fits in a slot on the Vane adjusting ring. The shaft of the Arm goes through the char to the outside where the Actuator is connected .......... that's what he broke!

In the pic below, at about the 1:00 O'clock position, you can see the slot where the Arm fits...