Manual transmission, DSG transmission fluid change

badnews

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, FWD, Manual6
I've only had the car 7 months and still don't know all the slang that goes with my 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen but I do have a lot of experience with other cars. It has a 6-speed manual transmission with a clutch pedal. So here's the question:

At 40K the maintenance manual says: "Transmission: 6 speed DSG (non-Automatic) Change fluid and filter."

I've never seen a manual transmission with a filter, and I can't find a filter on my car, but my tranny is certainly "non-Automatic". A bit confusing.

In Wikipedia it says VW makes a DSG transmission "without a conventional clutch pedal". I've driven a Citroen and a Volvo like this but I haven't seen a VW with one in the States. Are there some?

And lastly, none of the Youtube videos showing guys changing the tranny fluid on a manual ever mention a filter. And one of them says the fluid is "permanent".

So my guess is that my car is NOT DSG, there is no filter, and I don't need to change it at 40K unless I really want to. Am I right or wrong?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Correct, your car is not a DSG. There is no filter on the manual gearboxes, and there is no 40k mile requirement for fluid changes on the manual gearbox, either.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just as jonferns says you have a manual tranny.

This is what DSG means:
DSG stands for Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe or direct shift gearbox. One can essentially treat it as two manual gearboxes working alternatively but packed inside one housing and therefore it uses two clutches and two gear shafts (one for each 'box, so to speak) to deliver power to the wheels.

But there is NO clutch pedal !

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Be glad you don't have a DSG. Not cheap to fix or maintain.
You neglected to add: IF it needs to be fixed and IF you have it serviced at a dealer. Ours has been fine at 68K miles, and I did the 40K service myself for around $120. I like it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought up fluids and filters from those turning their cars in, for cheap. $40 or less per kit (fluids and filter). I have enough to make it to at least 200k miles at the moment. Oil and filters as well. Pretty darn cheap if you try.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This is simply not true. I'd be interested in hearing what experiences you've had with the DSG that made you feel this way
I dunno, oil change costing 150+, if you diy of course, twice as often at 40k. Manual = 30 bucks or so using syncromesh every 90k. I swapped to manual and went with single mass flywheel, so no more dual mass flywheel worries, get 10mpg more. win win :D Any DSG troubles will cost you dearly.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This is a false statement. :rolleyes:
Show me the math. I use to own one. I have oil/filter receipts. Not to mention flywheel receipts. I have to admit though, some are quite reliable if not abused, as with anything. I just wanted to skip the headaches of dmf and expensive oil changes. Went to manual and save all that weight was the best decision. My true motivation was better mpg.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Show me the math. I use to own one. I have oil/filter receipts. Not to mention flywheel receipts. I have to admit though, some are quite reliable if not abused, as with anything. I just wanted to skip the headaches of dmf and expensive oil changes. Went to manual and save all that weight was the best decision. My true motivation was better mpg.

I can show you hundreds of service history, just stop by the shop. You can do your own math. The 40k service is not *that* expensive. If that makes your butthole pucker, you should never own a Volkswagen in the first place.

Nobody will argue the manual is less money to operate, it is also $1100 less to buy new. But it isn't like the DSG is some horrible autobox like a lot of other ones are. And the manuals have DMF failures too.

I prefer manuals too, but the 02E DSG is not a bad transmission at all should you decide to not want to row your own gears. Stop spreading falsehoods here and scaring people about the DSG. :cool: