Adblue DPF Injector Crystallization

WildChild

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI 6MT
This isn't normal. I had mine replaced late last year. Be sure to have the dealer replace the injector. Mine replaced the feed line first because his TSB mentioned that even though the leak was clearly coming from the injector...

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Not normal ....
Pretty bad actually...It means you are leaking...
Def is urea in a super saturated demineralized water solution...a tiny bit of evaporation can cause a mess...
That's why once a container of def is opened. The unused amount should be discarded...and the empty container NOT reused or stored.....a few crystals can cause a mess to start growing in the tank too...
I know many folks like to do diy refills using used Vw bottles...and they must be 100% clean....

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I do not think the DEF is a supersaturated solution. (where is that princess bride quote?)

the concentration is specified to keep the concentration of liquid the same as that frozen. (so the concentration does not change when temps are below 11 f and some of the stuff gets solid or slushy in the tank)

but your caution against leaving open containers is still a good one.

my bet is that the leak is of the normal solution, which evaporates after leaking in the original photo

do not think this leak would alter the % in the system, but should be repaired by the dealer while under warranty.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I'll leave this here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428991&referrerid=425269

Warranty Fix, but shouldn't blow the car up immediately.
Yup...just be aware that you might get a "low def" warning if it has been going on for a bit...
So if your appointment is not in the next 1500 miles or so, you might need to add a bit if you get the warning for low def...
But judging by how deserted the dealer was when I got my 20,000 mile service done, no appointment , in about 2 hours, I think you could get it done when you have an afternoon/morning....

e909

TDI
15 MK7 TDI
Sorry for posting a known issue - didn't see the other threads documenting it . Thanks for the help though!

As an update, the dealer replaced the supply hose but not the injector. I'll see if that fixes it long term. They also applied an emissions update 2309? which thankfully has not impacted mileage.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Most say replacing the supply line will not fix the issue, let us know if the leak continues.

e909

TDI
15 MK7 TDI
Most say replacing the supply line will not fix the issue, let us know if the leak continues.
There is more crystallization again since the supply hose was replaced.

Part of me wants to believe it's just residue from replacing the supply hose, but it seems to be growing.

What is the best way to clean the stuff off?

I'm going to try to clean it very thoroughly and see how much comes back.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Crystallization is a result from exposure to air. How is this going to stop? Urea is very water soluble. Any luck using water to remove the deposits?

e909

TDI
15 MK7 TDI
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Crystallization is a result from exposure to air. How is this going to stop? Urea is very water soluble. Any luck using water to remove the deposits?
I took a small water spray bottle and toothpick and it broke right off. Wiped the area clean and will drive another day or two and see if the buildup occurs again.

I suspect it will, and hopefully replacing the injector will fix the issue.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Let it grow....to prove to the dealer it is still an issue.
Call the dealer....let them oder parts if they need too..make the appointment...
Just cleaning it is like hiding it.... don't do it...
The bigger the mess, the less issue you will have getting the proper fix.
The mess proves that the injector is leaking liquid , which is then drying...making the crystals...

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I took a small water spray bottle and toothpick and it broke right off. Wiped the area clean and will drive another day or two and see if the buildup occurs again.
I suspect it will, and hopefully replacing the injector will fix the issue.
Yeah, if you haven't already, take a clean photo and then a photo later if/when it grows back.

When I had mine replaced they had to get the whole assembly from Germany, which took some time, so perhaps this is why they were hoping just the hose would fix it.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
This happened on my wife's BMW X5d. It was a leaky cap - local dealer just replaced the cap. No problems since.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

mr pepper

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Experiencing the same with my 2.0L MK7 TDI at 39,200 miles.

Earlier this week my Check Engine Light and AdBlue refill warning light (600 mi) came on. Checked under the hood and found the crystallization buildup(pic below). Ran my OBDII Reader which displayed a P20E8 error code - "Reductant Pressure too Low."

Odometer is at 39,200 so about 3K Miles out of warranty. Took into dealer and they diagnosed as a crack in dpf seal. Parts are coming in Monday. They say they should have no problem getting this covered since I'm so close to warranty expiration and that they have tech notes of this happening on similar models.

I'll save fighting words for later if they deny coverage. Planning on doing buyback at some point next year, but a pricey fix could move up that date if there are bigger problems and they refuse to cover.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
^These items are included in the new extended warranty that comes with the Phase 1 fix (reflash). Though you're looking to sell back, it should still be covered under the emissions warranty as it's vital to its function.

ejpomeroy

TDI
Jetta MY2001 & Passat 2015
Injector crystaliztion

Just had the urea supply line replaced under warranty (there is apparently a bulletin on it on file at VW for this car) - 2015 Passat TDi, did not fix the issue. Now scheduling to go and have the injector unit replaced.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
when we bought the '15 Passat it was on the service documentation they replaced the hose to that injector, due to crystallization. No leaking or crystals in the past 6K.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Experiencing the same with my 2.0L MK7 TDI at 39,200 miles.

Earlier this week my Check Engine Light and AdBlue refill warning light (600 mi) came on. Checked under the hood and found the crystallization buildup(pic below). Ran my OBDII Reader which displayed a P20E8 error code - "Reductant Pressure too Low."

Odometer is at 39,200 so about 3K Miles out of warranty. Took into dealer and they diagnosed as a crack in dpf seal. Parts are coming in Monday. They say they should have no problem getting this covered since I'm so close to warranty expiration and that they have tech notes of this happening on similar models.

I'll save fighting words for later if they deny coverage. Planning on doing buyback at some point next year, but a pricey fix could move up that date if there are bigger problems and they refuse to cover.

I've already had my DEF injector replaced at less than 10k miles. Up to 65k now, only a couple months from wanting to turn my car in. Just had a low AdBlue warning, as well as check engine light and P20E8 (low reductant pressure) code. I thought the tank just needed to be filled, so I put in 2.5 gallons, then the low AdBlue error went away, but the CEL remained. After driving for a while, the low AdBlue error came back.

I checked under the hood, and found lots of crystallized DEF:
https://dominijanni.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/file-1.jpeg

https://dominijanni.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/file1.jpeg

Going to take it to the dealer tomorrow, hoping for a warranty fix, because I don't want to spend any money on it, being so close to turning selling it back to VW. Also don't want to continue pouring DEF into the tank with such an apparently big leak.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Thats quite a bit of crystallization. I found mine leaking at the same area, though not as bad as that. Had the tech look at it while I was at the dealer getting a key programmed. They ordered the Adblue injector and supply line, and I'll be going in on Saturday for repair. Covered under warranty.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Thats quite a bit of crystallization. I found mine leaking at the same area, though not as bad as that. Had the tech look at it while I was at the dealer getting a key programmed. They ordered the Adblue injector and supply line, and I'll be going in on Saturday for repair. Covered under warranty.
What mileage? Still around 50k as indicated by your sig?

My original leak was much more tame, see post from late 2014

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Went in to get this repaired today. They replaced the Adblue injector. Checked it out when I got home and realized the tech broke the end cap on the supply line and taped it together :mad: On top of that, there was coolant EVERYWHERE. Had to hose it off when I got home. Very sloppy tech at this dealer.

Called the dealer, they're ordering a new adblue supply line and will replace it next week. See what else they can do for me, for the trouble.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
how could coolant get everywhere?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Back to the dealer today for the repair. Replaced Adblue supply line, 5Q0131984E, about a ~3 hour job.