Timing Belt Replace?

03tdimn

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2009
1999 New Golf 2Dr TDI 5-speed with 58,000 miles.
Is it time to replace TB? Dealer wants $579.00. Can anybody in Southern MN do it cheaper?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I have another 40,000 miles until my first belt change, but when I need it, are the only parts I need to buy the belt and the tensioner?

Originally posted by GoFaster:
You might want to ask the dealer about using the new-style belt and tensioner. They might claim they aren't the right parts for your car, but they'll bolt right on, and then your next belt change won't be due for a longer time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

think diesel

Veteran Member
GoFaster-

My dealer and the parts dep't guy swore UP and DOWN that the new TB will not bolt onto a pre 2001 TDI and that it could "cause problems" and that I should not do it, could not do it etc.

I would call bullsh1t on that, except so far these guys have been very honest and trustworthy. They don't seem willing or able to do the install since the computer tells them I need the OTHER part number (the 60k belt) so whats the deal. Anyway to provide irrefutable proof that this is doable?

I've got a '99 Mk4 TDI for what it's worth and I just turned 40k

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's time to do it, and if you take into account the (approx) 5 hours of labour involved to do it RIGHT, the cost is going to be up there.

With regards to getting someone other than the dealer to do it, remember your powertrain warranty ...

You might want to ask the dealer about using the new-style belt and tensioner. They might claim they aren't the right parts for your car, but they'll bolt right on, and then your next belt change won't be due for a longer time.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by think diesel:
GoFaster-

My dealer and the parts dep't guy swore UP and DOWN that the new TB will not bolt onto a pre 2001 TDI and that it could "cause problems" and that I should not do it, could not do it etc.

I would call bullsh1t on that, except so far these guys have been very honest and trustworthy. They don't seem willing or able to do the install since the computer tells them I need the OTHER part number (the 60k belt) so whats the deal. Anyway to provide irrefutable proof that this is doable?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please explain how a bunch of us home mechanics replaced the timing belt on forum member Vik F's 2000 Jetta and installed the new-style 2002 timing belt and tensioner successfully a couple of months ago, with absolutely no signs of distress whatsoever. The parts bolt right on.

I've heard that there are some dealers around here who are automatically installing the new belt and tensioner on all A4 TDI's regardless of model year.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
My dealer refused to upgrade the timing belt on my manual '00 GTI, claiming VIN number didn't match the new parts.

Bummer, as no I'm stuck with another $700 belt change at 80K.

If there is a factory directive concerning a timing belt retrofit, I'd like to see it.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I'm willing to make a firm wadger (cash) that once the majority of VW dealerships purge the old (40/60 K) belts & tensioners out of their stockrooms that VWoA will come out with a service bulletin making the shift to the 80K belt.

Any takers ...?

I love a sure thing
Herm

asparks

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 1999, Silver
Originally posted by Herm TDI:
I'm willing to make a firm wadger (cash) that once the majority of VW dealerships purge the old (40/60 K) belts & tensioners out of their stockrooms that VWoA will come out with a service bulletin making the shift to the 80K belt.

Any takers ...?

I love a sure thing
Herm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My dealer put a timing belt on and claimed it was a 40K belt but the #'s are 80K #'s. They claimed that they didn't know of any changes in the belt design. Who knows, the way VWoA works I wouldn't doubt it. The service man hasn't jerked me around so far and has gone out of his way to help me out a couple times now.

So I'm not sure what that means, if they didn't know or just want me back in 40K!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
One theory is that there is no difference between the 40/60 belt and the 80 belt. That VW simply extended the service to 80 once they realized the belt would easily last that long (and after all the complaints from customers about changing them so often I bet
).

Just like VW used to recommend the first oil change in a gasser at 7500 miles but has now lowered it to 7000 only because of "concerns" by the general public that 7500 miles is to many miles on the first oil change.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
If you held the two belts in your hand the fact that they are not the same would become obvious. The tensioner differences are harder to tell but I was looking at an old style automatic trans tensioner vs. a new # tensioner and I think that the spring tension may be similar in these. Others have noted that the new tensioner is a bit more stiffly sprung (vs. older 5sp. tensioner), bearing #'s are the same.

tbonedr

TDI
altrkr7980
I just purchased my 1998 TDI and I am new to the VW world let alone the Disel world, the car has 44k on it, I don't have service records for it other that tires (which I replaced with some H rated the same dayI bought the car)

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The 40/60K belt verses the 80k is in fact a totally redesigned belt. The tensioner as well has a larger spring.

The New style belt is a direct replacement for the ALL ALH TDI's including the 1998 New beetle. The only engines that do not get this belt are the A3/B4 TDI's.

If you cannot see the difference between the new belt and the older style belt you have the wrong belt. The New style has a fabric weave applied to both sides of the belt.

There were no changes to the ALH engine that would prohibit the use of the new style belt. If anything the only change would be that the newer engines came with the new style belt and tensioner...

I have installed a hell of a lot of these belts on the 1999.5 as well as 1998 TDI's and they work perfectly.

The other running change that occured to the TDI was the transition to the non-stretch bolts on the injection pump. If you have any doubt about what type of bolt you have replace them with the new style found on the latest engine code.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
A3/B4 TDI's do not use pulley bolts. To adjust timing you rotate the pump rather than adjusting the oreintation of the pump pulley.

DB