Castrol EDGE Professional OE SAE 5W-40 Safe With TDI

Felineforce09

TDI
2002 TDI GLS RED
I changed my oil last week with 4 quarts of Castro edge 5w-40 and half a quart of Lucas oil heavy duty oil stabilizer. wondering if I'm taking steps in the right direction to make my TDI last a long time? Is this oil safe for a 2002 TDI jetta? Is Lucas oil heavy duty stabilizer a good idea to add to my jetta? How long of intervals can I run with this particular setup? Any information would be helpful I would greatly appreciate it. I live in north Dakota summers 90-100° winters 0°- -30° it gets very cold here. Please tell me your educated thoughts.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
The oil is fine for your TDI, the lucas additive is not.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
If it's diesel rated, and not with a PD engine. I run Mobile One 5w-40 in my '82 MB and my '90 Dodge with the 12v Cummins. The '06 still goes to the dealer for the proper oil used in the PD engine.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I don't know of any 5W40 that wouldn't be fine to use with an ALH engine.

Felineforce09

TDI
2002 TDI GLS RED
what is wrong with lucas?

It says for gas and diesel engines what is bad about it? And anyone know how long I can drive/miles before I should change my oil

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I'm confused. Is "Fluid Strength Technology" better or inferior to "Syntec Technology"?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
It says for gas and diesel engines what is bad about it? And anyone know how long I can drive/miles before I should change my oil
Why do you think you need Lucas?

10K mi between oil & filter change

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Correct oils need no additives to be effective. Is there a problem you are trying to correct?

That particular additives makes the oil thicker (it is 6 to 7 times thicker than motor oil at operating temp), so who knows how thick it is at lower temps.

It's also a petroleum product of unknown type and quality. Synthetic oils only in TDIs.

Well, with that lucas additive, I'd say about 10 feet before you should change it out with a correct oil only. Correct oil interval is 10K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Fuels & Lubricants (101 Viewing)
Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

rock4xfab

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
That oil is what I get when I purchace from my vw dealer. You can also use edge 5w40 from autozone. It also is approved by vw.. as stated I would not add anything.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Most people on here will run Shell T6 or Mobil-1 TDT since they can be found about anywhere, but your oil is fine as well (I prefer CI/CJ oils). No additives needed.

Just change it every 10K, use a good filter, and drive it like it's meant to be driven, no lugging the engine.

We don't plug ours in and it gets very cold in Maine as well. No issues starting or running at all, ever. No need to reinvent the wheel or use anything special to get longevity out of these, just diligence.

Last edited:

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Look in your manual or call a dealership to inquire on correct oil for your car. Probably 505.00 or 505.01 . Then look at the back of the oil jug and make sure that's listed.