BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
Thanks...I will work on that snub mount. I decided this morning to swap back in the transmission mounts that originally came with the allroad (2001) and it may a significant difference. I had been running Sterns. If the old mounts made that big of a differenct, I am hoping a brand new set will help even more. When I get the new mounts, I will probably swap the engine mounts for the protective sleeve or least move the sleeve over.

hipavlos

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI x 2
Hello TDI brain collective.
I am planning to do a 6-speed manual swap with a used crank from Franz ('05 BHW). I have reviewed this and other forums. I have not seen any advice on crank removal and installation.
Questions I have are:
  • Any crank replacement write ups? I have done the BSM replacement so I have been in that vicinity...
  • Parts to replace with installation: front seal, rear seal and flange, thrust washers?, crank bearings?, rod bearings?, conn rod bolts, balance shaft assembly bolts?, etc.
  • Determining crank bearings - if the crank is in good shape, should just need stock replacements, correct? Do they need to be replaced? The block is not being bored obviously.
  • Camshaft - how to check for wear? Replace at the same time?

hipavlos

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI x 2
You probably won't see much info on crank swaps as there are far cheaper and easier ways to get around the pilot bearing problem, Most have been addressed here. Check my user picture album for another.

In any case, to swap the crank you will need at minimum all crank main and rod bolts, crank pulley bolt and front and rear crank seals. I would not re-use any type of balancer, geared or chained, they are all a liability so a delete kit would be required. I would replace all bearings as well, since they have worn to fit the crank you are removing.

Cam wear is pretty obvious. The lobes start off with a chamfer all around. As the cam wears the chamfer will begin to disappear at the lobe tips, pretty much always just the exhaust lobes. If the chamfer is gone on more than just the tip of the lobe, the wear progresses fairly quickly. In the advanced stages, the lobes will wear a hole in the lifter top, the lifter will collapse and you will hear the distinctive "bupping" noise. Inspection is easiest when the T-belt is still on, roll the engine over via the crank bolt and check all the exhaust cam lobes.
Thanks for the cam & crank info. Those things to replace make sense, though I will stay with my geared balancer. I do agree that there are cheaper and easier ways to get around the pilot bearing issues but I do not believe they are as good as swapping crank, that is why I am planning to do this. I do not like the advice to only seat the bearing part way, I do not have a mill to make my own bearing holder, nor do I like dealing with all the conflicting clutch information - no one has consensus, so how does one decide...

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
If the crank doesn't come with the gear to drive the balance shaft you will need that also. Mains torque is 120 nm plus 1/4 turn. I don't offhand know rods.

Seems to me you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist. Many swaps have successfully been done with the BHW crank. Some clutches don't even use a pilot bearing. I just did one on a Toyota, and I was surprised. No pilot bearing.

RobertT

TDI
00, 01,02 beetles, 02 Jetta...flipped and totaled.04 Passat BHW
Interesting. I miss my B5 wagon. Wish I could find a good clean one up here, they're all rotten now.
I can get you one with a blown automagic easily for 1500 us. they dont rust here is south carolina bc we don't salt the roads.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
they're like 500 here in the midwest. i've seen several in the last few years. I bought one in milwaukee last year for 500 with blown auto.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I would love to find a rust free TDI wagon and have it shipped up here. I've given up on a rust belt cars but really miss my TDI 6 speed. I have the old one for parts with the swap still.....Couldn't bring myself to part it out yet.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I have one, bought for the engine. Black. Big dent in the hood and a ripple in the left front fender. 17 in. wheels. No steering wheel buttons. The rest is in pretty nice shape. Sell cheap. Washington.

RobertT

TDI
00, 01,02 beetles, 02 Jetta...flipped and totaled.04 Passat BHW
Let me know what is missing from the list & I'll update it.
could you post a pic of the locations and part numbers of the mounting bolts and where they go. It would be uber conveinent. I have a buggered up install I need to fix. TIA

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Wanted to update this thread...

For clutch selection, I went with the DMF/sachs SRE combo, obtained through Darkside:

I now have 300,000km on the swap, and the transmission continues to shift just fine.

However, the DMF was starting to make the "death rattle" more common on the BRM cars (rattle at idle, clanking, changes or goes away under load)

So, with a failing DMF, and 300,000km, should I order just the DMF, or another whole clutch kit? I decided to get the DMF, and hope that the clutch was/is still servicable.

Upon disassembly, the DMF was shot - the center pivot bushing had roughly 1mm of play, where there isn't supposed to be any...

The clutch has 8.4mm thickness new according to Sachs Race Engineering's website, and mine currently has 8.0 mm of thickness - not bad for 300k km, though much of it was highway with little shifting.

Going by depth to the rivets, I had used up only 15% of the lining thickness, so I decided to reinstall the clutch on the new DMF, along with a new release bearing. WIth the DMF replacement finished this evening, the car idles much smoother, and the rattle/clanking is now gone.

All in all, I would still go with this swap using this clutch.

I guess teaching my teenager how to drive stick on this car certainly didn't help matters...

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
Out of curiosity, is that a 228mm or 240mm diameter setup? Did you use a spacer between the engine and trans?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Oh boy, here we go again! I picked up a rust free '02 Wagon 1.8T/auto from the south. My TDI has been sitting for 4-5 years outside at the farm, but fired right up like it was yesterday. The body was pretty rotten, even holes in the a-piller which is why I parked it. Front coil springs both broke while sitting too.

This time around:

New DMF
Sachs SRE Organic clutch kit
Balance shaft delete

Last edited:

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe coat everything rustable with fluid film, lanolin product.

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
Greetings 6 speeders,

I was the one that did the six spd swap for MILESB, I am prepping another swap and as per Miles a few posts back there are a few items we could add to the parts list: Transmission support part numbers

The last swap we used 8D0 399 114 AC and 8D0 399 113 AH for transmission mounts. I can't seem to match these up to what car they originated from and leaves me thinking there may be other choices out there. What I can find in etka appear to be different part numbers.

Part number are easy to see from below the car. If anyone has parts in hand to confirm or pictures to compare I would much appreciate it. This one is going in my own TDI wagon.

Cheers!

Last edited:

yadic

TDI
just looking
First - thanks to all who have written info on this in previous threads.
Second - I am half way though my swap and have discovered a few things not previously mentioned.

Let's start with the REAL parts list: (Work in progress will update as I complete my swap.)
6 Speed transmission
Passenger side heat shield above axle
240mm flywheel/clutch (get new bolts if reusing used parts)
Pilot bearing 056105313C
6 speed shifter & rods, boot and knob.
Starter
Axles. (larger inner CV than 5 speed units)
5.5mm spacer plate between bellhousing and transmission 01E 103 551B if using stock 240mm DMF. 228mm can do without.
*** 16x18.8 dowel pins x 2. 01E 301 153E. No one has mentioned this before!
Clutch switches and pigtails.
Clutch pedal with longer mounting pin
Brake pedal and rubber - OR cut and modify your original one.
Clutch master cyl, slave cyl and line. Apparently one from a NA 1.8T will work fine
Longer upper starter bolt
Longer bolt + nut for passenger side lower through block
Also used a bolt + nut to relocate the starter wire support on the passenger side. There is an extra through hole up there not used.
Fresh gear oil (recommended)
New outer CV boots (recommended)

In the beginning.........We had a funny looking brake pedal, and something was missing.

In this image you can see where the master bolts in above the steering shaft. There are two grommets you will pull out. Push them through to the engine side. Bolt up the master without the pedal attached garage flooring dallas. It sticks through the firewall far enough to clip in the line after. Then put the pedal in. It's a tight squeeze, but just fits between the fuse panel and the steering shaft. Just rotate it around, it goes.

Here's how I dealt with the brake pedal, as I didn't get a donor one:

The all important 3 pedal shot:

I chose the perfect timing to do my swap. There was a vibration in the front right, which I had assumed was from a torn CV boot eating up the outer joint. WRONG:

Here you will notice 2 bolts missing. The other 4 also were well on their way out. Car was dealer service prior to my purchase.....:rolleyes:
More updates to come....
Having completed the swap a year ago, I'm still struggling to iron out the kinks in the abs. The donor car I used was a 2005 2.0 TDI, FWD, auto with ESP abs. I still have a traction control warning light and an inop cruise control. ABS works, but not the ESP. If there is anyone that has experience with this this please comment.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
To confirm - you swapped a 01E 6spd into your 2005 Passat TDI, rest of the car is unchanged?

Who did the tune for the ECU?

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
I should be taking my old 6 speed wagon apart soon. I will check the mount numbers when I have it out.
Nice thanks, I was able to find the part numbers I listed out of lithuania. The numbers I listed will work, but their are a few different numbers for the same or similar parts I came across as well.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I believe there are 2 sets of mounts that work. One set works with the original automatic subframe and the other ones require a different one.

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
I believe there are 2 sets of mounts that work. One set works with the original automatic subframe and the other ones require a different one.
Great point, as the Euro Passats that came with a factory six speed could be using a different subframe than our N. American version.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Time to update this thread!

I really miss my 6 speed wagon. It has been the BEST car by far I ever owned except for the rust. It was so rotten I retired it a few years ago but kept it around in the yard. Recently I picked up a southern rust free 1.8T/Auto wagon. I am planning to swap the entire drivetrain and dash over from the old car. Just been driving it around waiting for the transmission to die, but it's been almost a year now!

Last spring I was visiting the farm where I have the car stored, it hadn't been run for a few years. Both front coil spring broke sitting in the yard, the battery was obviously frozen solid and dead. I threw another battery in the car and it fired right up like it was yesterday. Only issue was the alternator was seized from sitting. I shut it off right away and the reverse torque freed it up. Ran it for about an hour as warm as I could get it stationary and seems in good running order still.

Can't wait to get everything moved over!