09a Tiptronic shifting Isuee

rica_gti

TDI
TDI
Hi I have 04 Tdi with 09a tiptronic 130k. I recently started experiencing problem with shifting 2nd-to 3rd gear if i easy up gas pedal it will shift in third with big delay but if i keep foot on gas pedal it will rev high Also if i try shift in Manual mode it will shift 1-2 no problem then once i call for 3rd it won't shift to 3rd it pauses then skips to 4th this ONLY happens when car is cold , Once car is warmed up about 10 min or so shifts perfect .. I changed ATF and didn't help. I see people had issues with solenoids on this transsmisions ..Any Input or Advice would be appreiiated

I got CEL pulled codes with VAG-com and this is what i got

00300 Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor(g93) Impulsive Signal
00652 Gear Monitoring (Impulsive Signal)

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
Hi I have 04 Tdi with 09a tiptronic 130k. I recently started experiencing problem with shifting 2nd-to 3rd gear if i easy up gas pedal it will shift in third with big delay but if i keep foot on gas pedal it will rev high Also if i try shift in Manual mode it will shift 1-2 no problem then once i call for 3rd it won't shift to 3rd it pauses then skips to 4th this ONLY happens when car is cold , Once car is warmed up about 10 min or so shifts perfect .. I changed ATF and didn't help. I see people had issues with solenoids on this transsmisions ..Any Input or Advice would be appreiiated
I got CEL pulled codes with VAG-com and this is what i got
00300 Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor(g93) Impulsive Signal
00652 Gear Monitoring (Impulsive Signal)
From my understanding, the fluid temp sensor can be caused by the coolant temp sensor. Clear it and drive and see if it comes back, I had it, cleared it and never came back.

When shifting 2nd to 3rd are the rpms rising and then it shifts with a harsh jerk ? or ?? If you saying once the trans warms up and shift perfectly then it can be a sticky solenoid. If you do change the solenoids go OEM ONLY! and use the correct fluid. Don't even bother with the aftermarket solenoids.

rica_gti

TDI
TDI
From my understanding, the fluid temp sensor can be caused by the coolant temp sensor. Clear it and drive and see if it comes back, I had it, cleared it and never came back.
When shifting 2nd to 3rd are the rpms rising and then it shifts with a harsh jerk ? or ?? If you saying once the trans warms up and shift perfectly then it can be a sticky solenoid. If you do change the solenoids go OEM ONLY! and use the correct fluid. Don't even bother with the aftermarket solenoids.
I replaced Coolant temperature Sensor and Thermostat 6 months ago prior to this problem . I did notice my temperature gage takes a while to start moving it takes about 10-15 min to move up some when around 35-40 degrees but i think thats normal for PD engines.. Now back to shifting issue Well when RPM raises speedometer moves to so it doesn't really look like clutch its slipping its pretty much stuck in gear and its over reving ...Not to jerky when it makes shift ... Basically when car is not warmed up if you try to take off it won't shift out of 2nd to 3rd unless you ease up with gas pedal and then eventually shifts to 3 rd with delay.. All other gears shifts fine 1-2 3-4-5 even when Cold .. After car is driven for few minutes shifts normal 2-3 ... and makes all shifts on time ... I am thinking if i had sticky solenoid wouldn't that inter fear with other gears too since up shift solenoids are used on numerous gears n88,n89 and n92 ..... Thanks for Input

Last edited:

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
I replaced Coolant temperature Sensor and Thermostat 6 months ago prior to this problem . I did notice my temperature gage takes a while to start moving it takes about 10-15 min to move up some when around 35-40 degrees but i think thats normal for PD engines.. Now back to shifting issue basically when car is not warmed up if you try to take off it won't shift out of 2nd to 3rd unless you ease up with gas pedal and then eventually shifts to 3 rd with delay.. All other gears shifts fine 1-2 3-4-5 even when Cold .. After car is driven for few minutes ****s normal 2-3 ... and makes all shifts on time ... I am thinking if i had sticky solenoid wouldn't that inter fear with other gears too since up shift solenoids are used on numerous gears n88,n89 and n92 .... It always happens on same spot .. Thanks for Input
Before doing my solenoid change I read that many of the symptoms were when cold the transmission wouldnt upshift and it was solved when the solenoids were replaced. I dont understand or know much of these transmission as I am currently having a transmission problem myself and still am trying to solve.

here a thread with the same problem as you - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397309

For the 00652 code - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00652

They solved the issue by replacing the solenoids and had the 00652 code too. I just quickly skimmed through it and read that it has an issue with 2nd to 3rd and when let off throttle, it would shift other than that the rpms will rise. I suggest searching more on this before actually spending $300+ but like i said do not waste your time on the aftermarket solenoid.

rica_gti

TDI
TDI
I replaced all 9 solenoids from Cobra Transmission and my car shifts perfect no more 2nd to 3rd delay when cold.

MojoDiesel

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Does anyone know what happens if you don’t install the little clip next to the N91 solenoid? What symptoms will the transmission have? It was just too much and I went without it. Probably paying for it now.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
A series of fluid changes has helped many a 09A shift better. Since you can't change all the fluid at once w/o disassembly or removal, a series of changes can "exchange" most of it. Valvoline MaxLife was relatively inexpensive and worked well in the one I had issues (long story) with.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
A series of fluid changes has helped many a 09A shift better. Since you can't change all the fluid at once w/o disassembly or removal, a series of changes can "exchange" most of it. Valvoline MaxLife was relatively inexpensive and worked well in the one I had issues (long story) with.
ID Parts has "Transmission Cooler Coolant Hoses" listed for BRM and DSG transmissions. These look like coolant hoses, not trans sized hoses.
Does the trans cooler have hoses going to the trans?
If so can an in-line flusher be used?
Not familiar with the newer automatics, only the older type 3 & 4 auto's.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
ID Parts has "Transmission Cooler Coolant Hoses" listed for BRM and DSG transmissions. These look like coolant hoses, not trans sized hoses.
Does the trans cooler have hoses going to the trans?
If so can an in-line flusher be used?
Not familiar with the newer automatics, only the older type 3 & 4 auto's.
The hoses are for coolant, not transmission fluid. The cooler bolts to the trans with an oring seal. So, no... you can't use an inline flush setup. I'm sure there is something that could be built to adapt to the cooler flange, but I've never seen such a thing.

Coincidentally, I'm changing out a 155k mile 09a right now for the same symptoms as the OP (no improvement with solenoids and fluid change). FYI - a 1.8T will rev high and slam in third gear hard enough to chirp the tires. (It's possible that solenoids could have helped before internal damage was done by the teenage driver as I had done a fluid change at 100k w/ OEM fluid)

EDIT - the cooler on the 09a and the 01m (I assume that's what you have based on your profile) are different, but the answer is the same.

Last edited:

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
I've used the Cobra solenoid kit on my eldest son's BEW with good results but no long term data yet. He had the "no shift when cold" problem.

2nd to Jettawreck... I'd cycle that fluid out for sure. Jr is at college so we'll do a couple more changes as he comes back for spring/summer breaks.

dabest

TDI
05 Golf TDI
Was wondering if changing the solenoids cleared your codes I'm having the same problem at the moment but was curious about that codes especially the temperature sensor