Billet Compressor Wheel - GTB2260VK

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Your turbo builder should be able to supply it. Doing it yourself?
turbo-upgrade.com has them in stock , otherwise Majesty78

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
We have lots, We sell balanced cores too with billet wheels

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I have already spoken with Z-Turbo e.U.and they suggested I try to find a builder here in the USA to do work on my turbo as shipping and customs would drive the cost too high. I would have to send it to a builder as I do not have the equipment nor the knowledge/experience to do the balancing. I was hoping to find a top notch wheel and then a builder to do the work.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Turbo lab america.com they custom built my hybrid turbo and they've done a lot of other people I know of as well. They are very busy last time I checked so their turnaround time could be 5 or 6 weeks

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I called Turbo Lab and the guy I spoke to was a little unsure of which turbo I was inquiring about so he had me send pictures of the turbo. We are going into the holidays here in the US so I do not expect to get a whole lot done before years end and that's fine. The emissions issue put everything on hold for so long that a little longer makes no difference.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Turbo Lab responded after looking closely at the pictures and numbers on the turbo. Response was

"think that turbo already the largest turbine which is 46.6 by 50. The compressor wheel can be upgraded pretty large though"

That sounds like they probably need to get a better look at the GTB2260VK specs

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
This is what I what I heard regarding a GTB2260VK upgrade that Z-Turbo e.U. offers. But as I stated before I am in the US so this upgrade is cost prohibitive. The following is literally copy/pasted from the guy that recommended the Z-Turbo e.U. upgrade

"available nice upgrade for this turbo - the new designed turbine shaft which are increasing the flow(+20-30hp) and due to lightweight have much better spool and throttle reaction compared to the stock shaft."

Now if those kinds of numbers were true I have to say it may be worth the cost to ship to Europe and back from the US. I just do not know though, +20-30hp sounds optimistic

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Z Turbo only works on new or Garrett reman. turbos, he doesnt work on used ones, so keep this in mind. Maybe he changes idea soon :D
He has good stuff (very light turbine wheel).

My US clients dont pay customs, its just a matter of shipping cost. 10kg from Ro to US is about 80-90$

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I must have misread your original post, post#1 asks about a comp(ressor) wheel, and the subject changes to turbine wheels and shafts. Or was the comment in post#6 an attack on Turbo Lab America?

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Hy Gordon, I already replied to you on Facebook Message.

Maybe I can recommend you or help you finding someone local, I have seen now you are in Cypress CA and will reply to you as soon as I have something for you.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I must have misread your original post, post#1 asks about a comp(ressor) wheel, and the subject changes to turbine wheels and shafts. Or was the comment in post#6 an attack on Turbo Lab America?
No no please do not take offense, I was not attacking Turbo Lab. I was in a hurry and did not elaborate. In fact I will try to get back to them tomorrow. Let me explain so everyone can see where I am coming from and it may possibly help in the long run...

I will start with this, I am sure it is obvious I am no Subject Matter Expert.

I have another thread here regarding the purchase of a tubular manifold. I spoke to a European fabricator online who makes a tubular for my car and in our chat he recommended Z-Turbo's upgrade. As stated that upgrade looks to be cost prohibitive, and a friend who sold me the turbo told me he did not know of a turbine upgrade that could be sourced here in the US, but he had said that I should be able to find a billet compressor wheel for it. So I had kind of given up on a turbo upgrade like Z Turbo offers and posted this thread regarding the comp wheel. Although I will say this, now that I have given it more thought, if the turbine upgrade Z Turbo offers is a recent discovery and therefore not common knowledge yet here in the US, and those kind of hp numbers mentioned can be realized, I would gladly pay 290.00 Euro plus the expensive shipping cost to do it.

I called Turbo Lab Friday and the gentlemen I spoke with did not sound all to familiar with the specific turbo/application I was inquiring about so he asked me to text him some pics and the numbers off the turbo itself. That is totally understandable, this application is not exactly mainstream here in the US, and/or it may not be a one man shop. If I had asked about a gas app instead of diesel I bet he would have been all over it...Or maybe it is under new ownership maybe? Their website lists them in Austin Texas but the gentlemen told me they are in Virginia. I told him that I had heard what you posted about yourself and others on a forum having had some work done by Turbo Lab that and that did not seem to ring a bell with him so that is why I brought up the possibility of new ownership.

So while I had him on the phone I mentioned that I had heard that there is a turbine upgrade offered in Europe for this turbo and could he please look into that as well. He did get back to me a little later via text and said he thinks the turbo "already has the largest turbine which is 46.6x50 but the compressor wheel can be upgraded pretty large though". And of course all this took place late Friday afternoon, on a weekend that precedes a week many folks take off of work, as I have done. I would not expect someone to start looking closely at my inquiry in that scenario.

I am looking forward to hopefully speaking with him tomorrow. I am thinking he will have more info then. But it is the holidays and as you have said they may be very busy so I am going to be patient and see what happens.

And thank you for the referral!

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Hy Gordon, I already replied to you on Facebook Message.

Maybe I can recommend you or help you finding someone local, I have seen now you are in Cypress CA and will reply to you as soon as I have something for you.
Hi yes I just now found your message. Thank you so much that is very kind of you!

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Hear is another example of my ignorance, I did not know until now that Garrett does not sell turbo parts. So any part I see for a Garrett turbo is aftermarket or used. And that is not a problem for me. I have 3 race motorcycle's and every single one of them have some aftermarket engine internals so this worries me not.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
IIRC, the 6+6 blade configuration will give earlier spool, but the 11 blade will make more boost--albeit later in the RPM range. So what do you really want your engine do is the real question: red light killer or top end runner? The shop is owned by two brothers, Austin and I can't remember the others name. They bought a new building in a different location last year, but i don't know if they have moved yet or not.
Here is the assembly of my personal turbo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwpS-0MRltM&t=75s
He does install the heat shield backwards in this video, but he did fix it.
There are tons and tons of TLAmerica videos on YouTube if you have the time.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
IIRC, the 6+6 blade configuration will give earlier spool, but the 11 blade will make more boost--albeit later in the RPM range. So what do you really want your engine do is the real question: red light killer or top end runner? The shop is owned by two brothers, Austin and I can't remember the others name. They bought a new building in a different location last year, but i don't know if they have moved yet or not.
Here is the assembly of my personal turbo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwpS-0MRltM&t=75s
He does install the heat shield backwards in this video, but he did fix it.
There are tons and tons of TLAmerica videos on YouTube if you have the time.
I made a mistake, their website does list them in VA. I have been searching and reading so much stuff on so many sites lately that some of it is a blur. Austin and Ian our their names. Texas must have been something I saw on another site I was looking at and somehow Austin Texas stuck in my head :eek:

Yes everything I read says the same thing you did regarding the wheel blade config and honestly that is a hard choice to make as I have no real time experience to go by.

From what I have read so far I think my 13 Passat NMS CKRA with a tubular manifold, a DPF delete/3" downpipe, a Neuspeed turbo discharge pipe, and a custom tune should just about handle everything the GTB2260VK can give, but no more. Anything more then that would require a new fuel pump and injectors, h-beam rods and stronger head studs etc. Does this sound about right?

There are several road tracks in the Southern California area that have club days which are fun to do and I want more power but I do not want to push the motor to it's limits. I would like to treat it as a daily to stay safe. I am thinking power off the line and out of corners would suit me well. But maybe this big turbo can cover that so well the an 11 blade might top it off nicely?

And just to get this out there my auto dsg trans has been updated with a new clutch pack, new flywheel, Wavetrac limited slip diff, new oil pump, new pan/w an8 fittings piped to a secondary fan/cooler unit up front which runs in conjunction with the stock cooler. It kicks in automatically at a certain temp and can be manually engaged with a toggle switch as well. My suspension is set up pretty well for street/track. My car is very planted for what it is.

Thank you all so much very for your help. I will continue to search and listen to your advice!

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Turbo Lab responded

"think that turbo already the largest turbine which is 46.6 by 50. The compressor wheel can be upgraded pretty large though"
The Audi GTB2260VK has "only" 45mm turbine exducer, not 46,6mm. Inducer 50mm is correct.

There are 2+2 more options to this TURBINE specification.

50/46mm (BMW GTB2260VK) and
51/49mm AMG GT23

Those two are also available in a light weight high flow design which gives faster spool and more top end flow.
They weigh about 20-30% less than the original GTB turbine wheels, and especially compared to the "head heavy" AMG turbine there is quite some advantage in spool and transient response.

Regarding the HP numbers (conservative spoken)

OE GTB2260 Audi is good for about 300-320hp
OE GTB2260 BMW up to 340hp
AMG turbine up to 370hp

The high flow versions add about 8-10% top end flow.

In terms of compressor wheel choice you are almost "unlimited" from standard 44,5/60mm OE wheel (which is not a bad wheel!) up to standard size billet versions and bigger size billet versions, plus all the different geometry designs and blade numbers....

These are rough numbers, as results always is greatly dependent of compressor size, engine size, engine setup, supporting mods, quality of the software, accuracy of the dyno and so on....

Last edited:

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I think these numbers are way out of my league
AMG turbine up to 370hp

From what I have read so far it appears to me that these kinds of hp numbers vastly exceed the capacity of my stock CKRA type common rail engine.

It looks like this CR motor max hp is around 300hp, and that requires hardening the block, porting the head, upgrading the fuel pump etc etc.

I am hoping to put this turbo on the car with the manifold and dpf delete and get a good tune so that the car has a nice power boost but is still somewhat reliable.

Maybe I can expect 190-195hp with a really good tune?

Last edited:

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
For 190-195hp a GTB2260 is way to big.

You sacrifice low end spool and transient response for a non used top end power capability...

If you aim for 190-195 WHEELhorsepower, take a GTB1756VK or even a GTD1752VKLR in consideration.
Especially the GTD1752VKLR gives a huge load of torque in lower rpm and has great throttle response, its superb for a daily driver....

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Sorry I have had no sleep tonight. I already have a new GTB2260VK in my possession, do you think the GTB2260VK would work for daily driver if the tune is done correctly? What realistic horsepower could I expect if I stay with the GTB2260VK and a good tune?

I am going to sleep for a while and then check back. Thank you!!!

fergyp

TDI
gtb'd fabia vrs
The Audi GTB2260VK has "only" 45mm turbine exducer, not 46,6mm. Inducer 50mm is correct.
There are 2+2 more options to this TURBINE specification.
50/46mm (BMW GTB2260VK) and
51/49mm AMG GT23
Those two are also available in a light weight high flow design which gives faster spool and more top end flow.
They weigh about 20-30% less than the original GTB turbine wheels, and especially compared to the "head heavy" AMG turbine there is quite some advantage in spool and transient response.
Regarding the HP numbers (conservative spoken)
AMG turbine up to 370hp
The high flow versions add about 8-10% top end flow.
In terms of compressor wheel choice you are almost "unlimited" from standard 44,5/60mm OE wheel (which is not a bad wheel!) up to standard size billet versions and bigger size billet versions, plus all the different geometry designs and blade numbers....
These are rough numbers, as results always is greatly dependent of compressor size, engine size, engine setup, supporting mods, quality of the software, accuracy of the dyno and so on....
Where do you source these high flow turbine wheels

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
what application is GTD1752VKLR, I have only seen a GTB1752VRK so fare...

You sacrifice low end spool and transient response for a non used top end power capability...

If you aim for 190-195 WHEELhorsepower, take a GTB1756VK or even a GTD1752VKLR in consideration.
Especially the GTD1752VKLR gives a huge load of torque in lower rpm and has great throttle response, its superb for a daily driver....

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR

If you aim for 190-195 WHEEL horsepower, take a GTB1756VK or even a GTD1752VKLR in consideration.
I am not really aiming for 190-195hp, I just thought that that might be all my motor is capable of in stock form. I want to stay with the GTB2260VK and get as much HP I can without risking blowing the stock motor, which I think is possible with I good tune.

So now what I would like to do is see if I can is upgrade my turbo with the AMG turbine high flow version and a Billet Comp Wheel. I am not sure which size wheel to go with but I think the bigger I can go and see gains would be preferable as you never know, I may decide to pull the motor out and shot for even more HP. It's not what I want to do right now though.

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Where do you source these high flow turbine wheels
You really think I am going to share my manufacturers?

what application is GTD1752VKLR, I have only seen a GTB1752VRK so fare...
Sorry, that was the auto correction on my cell phone....VRK is correct certainly!

I am not really aiming for 190-195hp, I just thought that that might be all my motor is capable of in stock form. I want to stay with the GTB2260VK and get as much HP I can without risking blowing the stock motor, which I think is possible with I good tune.

So now what I would like to do is see if I can is upgrade my turbo with the AMG turbine high flow version and a Billet Comp Wheel. I am not sure which size wheel to go with but I think the bigger I can go and see gains would be preferable as you never know, I may decide to pull the motor out and shot for even more HP. It's not what I want to do right now though.
Listen to Dave:

How about just leave the GTB2260 you already have alone???
As long as you are not going to "crazy numbers" far above 300hp, the GTB as is is totally fine, as stated above, the OE compressor wheel is a good design and the 45mm turbine can flow plenty for that compressor.

I hope you are not sleepless because of the turbo spinning your brain :D:D:D

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
You really think I am going to share my manufacturers?

Yes you are 100% correct, WTH was I thinking!!
:eek: Sorry about that!

Sorry, that was the auto correction on my cell phone....VRK is correct certainly!

Listen to Dave:

As long as you are not going to "crazy numbers" far above 300hp, the GTB as is is totally fine, as stated above, the OE compressor wheel is a good design and the 45mm turbine can flow plenty for that compressor.

Yes I agree. After reading non stop for weeks I am sure the turbo can provide more then enough for my motor. I would like to do a same-size Billet wheel for a couple reasons. 1) I think it may be a tiny bit more reliable. 2) I would like a shop to have a look at this turbo. My friend that I got this turbo from claims it is brand new, and it certainly looks brand new but it was not in a box and it was missing one of the housing captive washer bolts. He claims he robbed it for another turbo and never got around to replacing it. He did give me a proper bolt but it is not exactly the same as the others. It is a peace of mind thing for me

I hope you are not sleepless because of the turbo spinning your brain :D:D:D

Yes, I think I have slept a total of 5 hours since last Thursday evening because that is when I started my short vacation :D;)

I have been searching and reading everything I can find regarding this modification and my car. I am trying hard to educate myself as much as possible. I am trying hard to help everyone help me and hopefully someday I can help others

I do belong to some motorcycle forums and there it would be me giving answers and not asking questions because that application I know well. So I know all to well the more info an OP can give the easier members can help!