www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old May 11th, 2017, 17:47   #1
mittgore

Default 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium

Hey all, so I'm selling back my 2013 jetta tdi next week so ive been looking for a new car, including other VWs, toyota, ford, honda..

I test drove a 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium today. It has 20k miles, 1 previous owner (lease). Everything was great until I took it on the highway. There was a slight shake in the steering wheel and a vibration in the seat when I went past 80MPH. I told the salesman that if they fix that, i would buy the car. My questions are as follows:

- Im thinking it needs an alignment. Is that common for a car with only 20k miles?
- only 20k miles.. should I be concerned with a shake? should be solid. did the previous owner hit a lot of curbs or pot holes?
- if I do show back up tomorrow and the shake is gone, is there any way they can temporarily mask it? I dont want it to come back a month down the road..

VIN : 3FA6P0D91FR140944
mittgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 19:11   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Most likely cause is a wheel out of balance. It may simply have worn itself out of balance - it happens.

It may be due to a worn tire. It may be due to a bent rim from a kerb or pothole.

It's unlikely that any such thing could be masked temporarily - it's either fixed, or it isn't.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 19:18   #3
mittgore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Most likely cause is a wheel out of balance. It may simply have worn itself out of balance - it happens.

It may be due to a worn tire. It may be due to a bent rim from a kerb or pothole.

It's unlikely that any such thing could be masked temporarily - it's either fixed, or it isn't.
thanks for the response!

yes! he also did mention doing a wheel balance. I'll look closer at the rims tomorrow and see if there are any dings/dents
mittgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:44   #4
GetMore
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.1/42.7/38.1

It could be on the inboard side, so it might be difficult to see. It is much easier to see when mounted on the balancer.