Best TDI Engine fit for an '87 Vanagon Westy Syncro

ECFG

TDI
2013 Audi Q7 TDI, Vanagon Westphalia Syncro TD, 2004 Jetta Wagen TDI
Which TDI would be the best fit for my '87 Vanagon Westy Syncro?? I currently have a 1.9l AAZ installed, but I'm thinking that I may like to upgrade to a TDI with more power and torque. I've seen used ALH's, AHU's and BEW's for sale on the internet for around US$2000.
All opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Try the Conversion section. Andy Bees has a long thread that you might want to read.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Here is a link to the 1st of 68 pages of narrative and lots of pictures: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

Right now, I'm loading photos to post relating to my Stainless steel oil pan (replacing the modified aluminum) and a few other things.

It's hard to believe the Thread has had over 147k hits/views.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Which TDI would be the best fit for my '87 Vanagon Westy Syncro?? I currently have a 1.9l AAZ installed, but I'm thinking that I may like to upgrade to a TDI with more power and torque. I've seen used ALH's, AHU's and BEW's for sale on the internet for around US$2000.
All opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
if you already have an aaz installed using the 50* bell housing and pan from a 1.6d van then an AHU/1Z from either a b4 passat or mk3 jetta would be the simplest swap by far... or you could import an AFN from Europe ;)

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
My father-in-law has a 1Z in his '87 Syncro. Works great!

jack1

TDI
Audi Allroad 1.9tdi, Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi, Vw T25 2.5 V6 tdi
I have fitted ahu's and afn's in these and they work great, the ones I used came out of b5 passats or b5 audi a4, even though the afn is 110bhp over the ahu 90bhp , personally I would fit the ahu as the wastegated turbo is more reliable than the vnt and you can easily and safely tune the ahu to the same bhp as the afn , just my 2 cents