Front End Make Popping Noise after Front Bearing Replacement

crazywildtoys

TDI
looking!
I just had a front wheel bearing replaced in my 1999 golf. Now when I put the brakes on I hear a popping sound coming from the same side they changed the bearing on. The pop seems to happen when the front end compresses due to moderate braking or acceleration. If I place one foot on the brake and one on the gas and pedal back and forth I can get it to pop each time I apply brake or gas. I am going to bring it back to the garage but wondered what is the cause.

BTW Great Forum!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Something is tweaked or put together wrong....could be a half dozen different things.

TDI
None
Yep, something you probably goofed on...better you than someone else's car. Popping is most commonly a ball joint or tie rod issue, but can be any number of things too such as control arm bushings.

To check the ball joints, jack up the car and support it by the LCA with a jackstand with the tire about an inch and a half from the ground. Do a hand inspection first by rocking the tire along its turning radius (tie rod check) and then grab the top and bottom of the tire with your hands and check for wiggle laterally. Next, grab a long prybar and wedge it underneath the tire. While pulling up on the prybar, put your hand on the top of the tire and feel for pops or any play. Don't confuse this for play in the wheel bearing! If you suspect play, have someone help as you visually look for play in the ball joint. Next, get under the car and grab the tie rod end with your hand and shake it up and down, side to side and feel for play....

Report back with findings bitte.