Lost both of my keys.

P180

Veteran Member
Well actually my fiance' did.

I checked with the dealer concerning replacing them and found that one replacement key cost about $100 to that cost is an added cost for programing.

The only key I have is the "valet" key. Obviously the others are more convienient to use but, that aside, I think I better get another before the valet key is lost.

Does anyone out there know of a less expensive source for these keys.

2001 NB

Thanks, P180

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Sorry, P180. I don't know of an alternate source. But, please share with us how your fiance managed to lose both remote/key combos.

Thanks,

-Mel

tdibugman

Veteran Member
I know there is a process by which you can reprogram them yourself. It involves starting the car with the valet, getting out, locking the car with the new key and holding it in the lock position for a few seconds, unlocking the car, turn the car off, then start the car with the new key. These are not the exact directions, but you ge the idea. I'll see if i can find them somewhere. In the meantime, go to http://www.clubb5.com and do a search for key programming or so. I know the directions were on there. I'll post later whether or not I can find them.

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
It's been my experience that you can reprogram the remotes yourself with some funky steps like that, starting getting out, holding a button for a few seconds etc. the procedures vary by manufacturer. I'm wondering if the reprogramming your dealer is talking about, however, is the immobilizer chip in the key itself. If i'm not mistaken this has to be coded specifically to your car? or would that be already done at the factory when ordering the 100 dollar key?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Check your owners manual. I recall reading a procedure in mine for the Golf. And if you have access to VAG-COM, it should be able to help out if the manual doesn't.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Two dealers told me that making keys without built-in remotes (like the valet key, but you can make master keys without remotes) was about $60, and reprogramming the immobilizer was $40 (which you need all of the keys you want to use present, and which will cause any non-present keys to become unrecognized). Obviously, keys with the built-in remotes will cost more.

You may want to have all the keys made at one time, since you should be able to have the immobilizer reprogrammed for all of them at once.

Frank Doherty

Until VW decides to make a more "replacement friendly" (which could mean "thief friendly") lock system, I think that it is a real good idea for everyone to buy another "opens everything" key when they first get the car. In other posts I have told how it took two dealers weeks and numerous attempts to duplicate a master key for me. I ended up with 4 keys.....none of which "work" in ALL the key holes, but all of which work in one of the key holes. (Yes, I'm serious...I have a key that only opens the trunk. I have another that only opens the door, and I have another that only turns on the ignition! (and they said it couldn't be done!) )Perhaps in the 20 months since I got my car the dealers have become more adroit in ordering the correct key blanks, cutting the keys, and programming the locks. Regardless, IF YOU DO BUY AN EXTRA KEY, BE SURE TO BRING ALL THE KEYS YOU HAVE TO THE DEALER AND CHECK ALL THE KEYS YOU "WALK AWAY" WITH IN ALL, REPEAT ALL THE KEY HOLES before you leave the dealership.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
I purchased a key from vwparts.com
It fit fine the first time - fits all: the ignition, door and trunk.
Of course I needed to reprogram the ECU with all the keys.

Still, the key half plus the remote half is still going to cost about $100.

I thought I was purchasing a vallet/maintenance key, but I (or vwparts) got the part numbers mixed up and ended up the key half. Some day I'll order the remote half.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: HowardZ ]</p>

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
P180, have you checked "vehicle recycling" yards? They may have keys from VW's that were totaled. Getting the remote parts from them may be cheaper. Then have the dealer cut new key parts and reprogram.

vwtechnc

There are two ways a dealer, no 3 ways a dealer can make a key for you, make a copy of your current key with a 2k dollar machine, make a new key from your VIN with a 30k machine, or order a new key to fit your car with the VIN which should now take about three days, yes there is a procedure to redo the immobilizer with the 5051, the remotes are programable with or without the 5051.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HowardZ:
I purchased a key from vwparts.com
It fit fine the first time - fits all: the ignition, door and trunk.
<hr></blockquote>

Where on http://www.vwparts.com did you find the key? Searching for "key" doesn't seem to turn anything up.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>
Of course I needed to reprogram the ECU with all the keys.
<hr></blockquote>

With the VAG-COM tool?

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Impex auto parts (vwparts.com) can get you any vw part you want. The only questions are if you are willing to wait for them to special order it, and if you like the price.

And yes, you need to use the VagCom whenever you buy a new key or a new remote.

Back when I did it I posted the procedure here.
You can do a search.