Declaring Mods On Insurance

chavy

TDI
VW Polo 2011 1.6 TDI
Hi, I am 17 and I am just wondering if any YOUNG drivers from the UK actually declare their mods to their insurance company?

Thanks. :D

TONX

TDI
Golf Plus / Golf Match
You obviously should declare everything, especially if it’s visible.

Failure to do so could render your insurance void and in the worse case, could mean that they simply void your insurance from the date it was taken out and fail to pay anything.

So assume you have a bad one, hit a 40k car, write it off, injure someone in it and then your insurer finds out your wide wheels, remap, exhaust etc.

Now your in to 50/60k of debt as the other insurance company sues you personally for the losses. Is it really worth it.....probably not ?

Fokker

TDI
Golf MK4 AHF
Had a heavily modded MK4 (TT suspension, LSD, GTB2260 with supporting engine mods ect) insured with Adrian Flux for a number of years and the policy increase between declaring all the mods was approx £50 to £70 for the year.

If you're involved in a serious accident with life chancing circumstances to the 3rd party, the police/insurance would possibly want to inspect the vehicle afterwards. You'd possibly be slapped with a large fine, 6-8 points on your licence, possible driving ban as your insurance company will deem the vehicle not insured as you haven't declared the mods.
Might end up having 3rd party solicitors chasing you for injury claim,vehicle repair, loss of income, courtesy car and leaving you in a life changing situation which might not have been your fault at all..

I've done it before yes, but thinking about the consequences changes your mind very quickly.

Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure...