Glow Plug light on for just a second car won't start

newbug

TDI
1984 Jetta, 1999 Beetle, 2002 Jetta, 2005 Passat Wagon
I just had a major problem with my car not starting.
It started about a week ago took several attempts but it started ran rough til it warmed up plus smoked a lot.
113,000 miles on 2002 VW Jetta TDI.
The last 2 days (April 18, 19, 2018) very hard starting and yesterday wouldn't start at night no matter what I tried. Killed the battery too.
So I charged it up and tried again finally got it to start after turning the key on and off maybe 20 times to get the glow plugs hot. Started and ran but 1 hour later no good.
So today (April 20, 2018) I changed the 109 relay as I always have a spare after breaking down in my 1999 Bug.
No good same thing.
Put the Vac Com on it no codes except for door and windows from the battery going dead while trying to start.
I also removed the plug from the temp sensor under the vacuum pump and when turning on the key the Glow Plug light stayed on for about 10 seconds but the car would not start even after 4 attempts, so I put the plug back on another strike out.
Called Ross-Tech and after telling them all I did no solution was found.
So I as a last resort removed all the Glow Plugs.
I tested them with a Fluke Ohm meter and they all had less than 1 ohm resistance. I then tested my brand new Bosch spares and same thing.
So the next thing I did was use my 20 amp variable supply and tested each Glow Plug raising the voltage from zero to 13 volts and checking the amps they used.
The amps were 6 and lowered to 4.5 after the Glow Plug turned red.
The last Glow Plug Read zero volts and zero amps.
So I rechecked the other one and the new ones and all were about the same.
I rechecked the one that read Zero and same thing which meant it was shorted under voltage and I believe was killing the voltage and current to the entire 4 Glow Plugs. Funny but no Codes?
So I put in 4 new Bosch Glow Plugs and the light came on and off but the car started right away I tried several times later after the coolant temp dropped and it started again so as of now all looks good.
Strange thing also I was checking the TDI timing and even with a 193 degree on gauge and 85.9 Celsius said engine not warm enough 80c should have been enough maybe the shorted Glow Plug was screwing up the ECU.
I will check it later but now it starts as soon as you turn the key no cranking.
Hope this helps.

Today 4-21-2018 and last night 4-20-2018 the car started right up maybe 1 turn of motor several times at about 35 degrees no more problems.
Looks like all is solved.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Great report!

I wonder if there's an easier way to detect/test. Maybe an amp clamp on the harness for starters? Could catch offenders by disconnecting one plug at a time to see which one is causing the greatest draw?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The amps were 6 and lowered to 4.5 after the Glow Plug turned red.
The last Glow Plug Read zero volts and zero amps.
So I rechecked the other one and the new ones and all were about the same.
I rechecked the one that read Zero and same thing which meant it was shorted under voltage and I believe was killing the voltage and current to the entire 4 Glow Plugs.
Sumpin doesn't make sense to me. You say it reads zero volts and zero amps.

If it's shorted it would read high current. Unless your power supply is shutting down?

Isn't there a fuse on the GP's? Why didn't it blow?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you set a meter on each side of the glow plug, and the plug is shorting out, then the meter will read zeroes. Basically the same thing as trying to measure a voltage drop across a single fat piece of wire. You would get zeroes.

What I want to know is, how do you get it to start without cranking? I always have to crank mine. They start quickly, but since I don't live on a hill, I have to crank them first. Just wondering...

Cheers,

PH

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Having a similar issue on a 01
code p0684 gpcm so I swapped out relay 180 -no difference
ohmed gp's all were 0.8 ohm's
pulled out the coolant sensor and the gp light stayed on for 10 seconds....
changed the coolant sensor ---still same code (and goes out after 1/2 sec)
checked pin 88 on the ecu and it had 12 volts
pins 2 and 37 had 0 volts and are supposed to have 12 volts I believe.....going to check the Bentley manual
going to go pull the glow plugs and check them
pulled glow plugs and all are fine....
kinda stumped

01 tdi
stage 4 Malone
vnt 17 turbo
heavy duty clutch
520 nozzles
11 mm pump
straight pipe
egr delete
Start your own thread. Reference this thread in said thread by posting the link to it in your post. That is the proper way to post on this forum. You will get better assistance that way and it's better etiquette.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If you set a meter on each side of the glow plug, and the plug is shorting out, then the meter will read zeroes. Basically the same thing as trying to measure a voltage drop across a single fat piece of wire. You would get zeroes.

What I want to know is, how do you get it to start without cranking? I always have to crank mine. They start quickly, but since I don't live on a hill, I have to crank them first. Just wondering...

Cheers,

PH
Still doesn't make sense. He has a power supply set to x volts. Applies it to the plug. I can see voltage dropping to zero if the plug is shorted but current wouldn't be zero.