Golf Mk6 2.0 TDI 140 , DPF Regeneration

DaleWinton

TDI
Golf GT TDI 2.0 140
Hi all,

I purchased a 2009 VW golf GT Tdi 2.0 140 break with 112k on the clock.

Car has FVSH.

I know the person who i bought it from used to drive upwards of 60 miles a day .
I am having a bit of a problem with what i believe the DPF regenerating more often than it needs to.

When i am using the car to drive to work (3 mile away) the car usually starts with the DPF process after the 5-10 mins of the engine being started. and on a couple of occasions i have taken out the key and the engine still seems as its running.

I get no warnings on the dash or anything like that and it usually lasts around 10 mins and then goes back off but its just starting to get a little but annoying.

Whats the solution ?

Thanks in advance!

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
That commute is really pretty harsh for a TDI to keep up with and stay healthy. You need to try and get the car out for a longer drive at least once a week, that will let it fully regen and should stop it from doing so every time you run it.

The "still seems as its running" pert is normal if you interrupt a regen, it is keeping the electric fans on until the DPF is cooled enough to be safe. But it does mean that the regen did not complete.

If you can keep it at about 1600-2000 RPMs for about 20 minutes at least once a week, it will clear up the regens and should help it run better as well.

DaleWinton

TDI
Golf GT TDI 2.0 140
Surely it shouldnt be doing that as often though ? as i say the guy who had it before used to run do a 60 mile commute everyday . and it did it as soon as i got it.

Think a dpf delete might be an option ?

Ps thanks for the reply.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Surely it shouldnt be doing that as often though ? as i say the guy who had it before used to run do a 60 mile commute everyday . and it did it as soon as i got it.

Think a dpf delete might be an option ?

Ps thanks for the reply.
You'd have to consult local laws and inspection protocols for if it's possible to delete. My guess would be that your DPF is slowly becoming clogged and attempting to regen more often to make up for it. Could always verify with a dealer that you have the most current software for your car. Since getting tuned and deleted my car has become more consistent.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
My thinking is that it keeps doing regens every time you drive because it is never able to complete one. That short a commute, no way the car can warm up and start/complete a regen before you arrive, they generally take between 15-20 minutes from what I've seen.

It keeps trying to regen, unable to finish, and the next time you start the car it tries again. Like I said; do a nice long drive at least once a week and it should stop ;)

DaleWinton

TDI
Golf GT TDI 2.0 140
Thanks for the reply all , i took the car out today to the shop , 1 mile drive the dpf started the regen after 5 mins (usually starts when idling in traffic) and then stopped after 10 mins of driving.. drove for another mile or so turned off the car went into the shop for 5 min , came back out to drive home , car started the regen again,

I do believe it is completing.

I have a friend who has the vagcom software to look for faults may have to consult with him see if that picks anything up.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Have him check the ash load as well; see how high it is. If you are saying it completed a regen in 5 minutes, I think you are mistaking an EGR cleaning or another event for a Regen.

If you meant it took 10 minutes, that could have been a regen. Just wasn't sure which you meant.

sportdi

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
You'd have to consult local laws and inspection protocols for if it's possible to delete. My guess would be that your DPF is slowly becoming clogged and attempting to regen more often to make up for it. Could always verify with a dealer that you have the most current software for your car. Since getting tuned and deleted my car has become more consistent.
Assuming your car is for off road use only how would you address NJ emissions/smog if it wasn't?
I was thinking of heading out to Diesel Dubs but hung up on compliance.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Assuming your car is for off road use only how would you address NJ emissions/smog if it wasn't?
I was thinking of heading out to Diesel Dubs but hung up on compliance.
Get your good readiness ECU backed up; then get it tuned with the delete. You'll retain readiness until you clear a CEL. If you do clear a CEL all that is required is another flash back to stock to regain readiness. Only one monitor will fail or not show ready which is passable in NY and NJ.

If you wait till your have issues with your DPF your backed up file won't be clean (this is what I'm dealing with). Then you'd need to either get stock good equipment, drive 100 miles for readiness then get backed up, tuned, etc. Or buy an ECU from a wreck with good readiness, this is what I did to avoid going stock again.

Then go to a private inspection, you'll pass.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Is there any way to back up readiness with vcds or isomething it something that must be done with a ecu backup rig?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what I thought.
I have a 2011.
Thinking of jumping right into a Stage 3. But for now I'm bone stock and may go tune only, keeping dpf and such.
If Les thinks he could keep your readiness I'd drop your DPF; I don't know what kind of gains you get with it still on though.

sportdi

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
If Les thinks he could keep your readiness I'd drop your DPF; I don't know what kind of gains you get with it still on though.
I'm contemplating this now and have contacted DD. My concerns are those typical to emission/smog testing IF i decide to dedicate a vehicle for off road use only. So...you can remove dpf and tune and maintain "readiness"? Anyway you can elaborate on that?

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Power gains are pretty good with a stage 2 and keeping the emission equipment. Power gains AND fuel mileage increase is what you get with stage 2 and deletes.

DaleWinton

TDI
Golf GT TDI 2.0 140
Hi all just a quick update, checked the DPF and it was showing the ash levels at 110 (according to the vag com rages upto 320 for a problem?)

Also showed the car hasnt regenerated for over 100km??

What could it be doing ? does it show the same systems when a egr re-gen?

Thanks

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Have you driven the car for a long highway run lately (at least 30 miles)? If you're doing short trips exclusively, then the car will never be able to complete a regeneration. If your daily drive consists of three miles each way to work, then it's important to do a longer trip once a week so that the DPF can do its thing. If this isn't practical or possible for you, then a TDI is not the right vehicle for you.

DaleWinton

TDI
Golf GT TDI 2.0 140
Still having the issue , i was sat in traffic the engine revved up as it does and i was just watching the mpg calculator going down , why would the vag com say its not got a problem when it appears to be doing a re-gen

OsirisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tech Package DSG Golf, Executive Egg
I noticed that the high speed cooling fans were on quite a bit after engine shut down. I found that my Golf needed to complete a NOX regen. However, the car requires a DPF regen before it will initiate a NOX regen. The NOX regen alone requires a full 30 minutes of driving to complete.

Last edited:

DaleWinton

TDI
Golf GT TDI 2.0 140
Just a quick update had the cambelt done at my local vw garage , they had a look at it and told me its nothing to worry about as the light hasnt come on , but its really annoying me re-genning all the time. what can i do ?