www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 12th, 2018, 09:37   #76
Hasenwerk

Question - why do you have the engine leaning way over like that as opposed to the stock 15-degree mounting angle? Some say that the turbo drain needs to be straight down +- 15 degrees, which if un-clocked, I think you would not be following that rule.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 10:24   #77
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

I had to lean it towards the drivers side in order to be able to mount my starter. My turbo drain is actually leaning in a way that gravity would be more likely to carry the oil away faster. I would think that would be a good thing. There was no way around it I do believe the pictures make it look more extreme than it is.

1949 Willys cj3a ALH tdi swap
Millennium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 10:41   #78
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

There is some interesting info on engine angles is this thread and several others on here.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4859970

My main concern would be that the oil pickup tube is fully submerged in oil. I would imagine the turbo drain would be an issue if you layed it over really far like guys do with vanagon swaps. I may pull the pan when I take the engine back out and look at the sump to make sure it will be ok. Time will tell, but after following some of what other people had done, i believe it will survive.

Old March 12th, 2018, 11:09   #79
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It doesn't look overly canted to me. Can't wait for some video(hint, hint) of this rig running and rolling. Is the missing headlight going to be your ram-air intake?
A snorkel would be kinda cool though.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:26   #80
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Thanks! Yes I cant wait to get some video of it! I will for sure post some for you guys! And I like your idea about the headlight. I think I will just mount a giant turbo inside the headlight opening and also cut a hole in the hood for a stack.

Old March 12th, 2018, 11:54   #81
mcd5843

TDI(s): 2000 jetta

Watch this videos I had a brand new hx30w turbo leak into the exhaust . I thought it bad was till seen this video .I only had about a 3 degree tilt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TYZChIdy14
mcd5843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 12:14   #82
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd5843 View Post
Watch this videos I had a brand new hx30w turbo leak into the exhaust . I thought it bad was till seen this video .I only had about a 3 degree tilt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TYZChIdy14
That's a very visually informative video!
Old March 12th, 2018, 12:24   #83
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

if 3 degrees tilt blows turbos on these things it is going to be worthless as an off road rig. I guess I better pull the alh and put a real diesel in the Jeep instead of this German boat anchor. Haha!

Last edited by Millennium Falcon; March 12th, 2018 at 12:28.
Old March 12th, 2018, 14:21   #84
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

I don't know if you've seen my vids,but some of the trails I wheel are 20 to 30
side hillin' and up and down.Seems to be fine with no noticeable oil loss.
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 15:19   #85
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Zoom, yes I have seen some of your awesome videos and many other swapped rigs on all sorts of terrain! Seems like they do just fine! I’m sure it would be ideal to run it at the stock 15 degrees, but ideal doesn’t always happen. I’m guessing Vw engineered some wiggle room other wise anyone that had a steep hill to go up or down everyday on their commute would be losing oil and ruining their engines. At this point I little fr into it to go back because my engine leans to far from the factory angle. I will finish it run it and if it gives me trouble I will decide what to do about then. I was joking about the boat anchor thing but I plan on driving this on a lot of off camber trails.....if drive one side hills that list 15 degree toward the passenger side I will be good to go! Haha

Old March 12th, 2018, 15:46   #86
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

You'll only have to drive in reverse half the time...
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 08:50   #87
Hasenwerk

There is a difference between going up a hill or driving on uneven ground versus driving all day long with the turbo clocked out of spec.

I wouldn't be mentioning this unless i've "been there done that" ;-)
Old March 13th, 2018, 12:24   #88
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Vnt 15 cartrage can be rotated correct? So why not just clock the center and make a custom oil drain if there is an angle issue?

Old March 13th, 2018, 15:34   #89
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium Falcon View Post
Vnt 15 cartrage can be rotated correct? So why not just clock the center and make a custom oil drain if there is an angle issue?
I don't dig into the insides of the turbos too much, but without machining tools, I think you can clock it but at only six(?) positions as there are set pins inside that the VNT bit moves on. I am sure someone can explain this better than it. I think if you can accurately move the pins, then any degree is possible. I just bring this stuff up because it's probably better to do it nicely now than later. I have dealt with enough Vanagon people moving engines to 50 degrees and they sooner or later have oil problems. Not trying to rain on your excellent build.
Old March 13th, 2018, 16:01   #90
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Im am to the point in this build where it would be way more work to go back and make a new adapter and motor mounts than it would be to just "see what happens" I will be going with the later. If I have issues I will have to make a new adapter or give up on the whole thing. If it works the way it is then I have to do nothing. At this point it the game its worth the risk. I agree that a 50 degree vanagon swap would cause problems but I confirmed my lean at 8.2 degrees so Im going to give it a shot.

I do believe the pictures make it appear to be leaning more than it actually is.

Here is a view of my oil pan. I tried to level the camera as best as possible.

Here is a head on view of my turbo. Oil inlet is about 12:30 and outlet is about 6:30... Some of my other turbo swaps have had worse drain angles and longer drain lines than this.

I am ready to move on to the next stage of this project. Thanks!