www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 13th, 2018, 08:45   #1
nestea

TDI(s): 2006 jetta
Default LED headlights

Does anyone know a way to turn off the monitoring for burnt out headlights? I installed some LED's but they do not draw enough power and the canbus controller thinks the bulb is defective. I could live with the error, however as soon as the system detects the lower draw it shuts off the circuit. The led's work well with a 50w resister, however the resistor gets too hot for the inside of the headlight assembly and want my install to look clean and not have the resistor outside the lamp assembly.
I found how to shut off the lamp cold diagnostics under central electronics in vcds, however it not produce the result I was looking for and still triggers the circuit to be shut off. Any idea's other than the resistor solution?
I have researched and found no posts relating to any vcds settings other then the cold diagnostics option.
Thanks
nestea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 18:54   #2
SootHappens
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~44

I've been down the same road looking for a solution. After much research, I believe it's beyond the capabilities of VCDS. It seems that it can be turned off with a VAS tool, and is called 'warm diagnostics'. I went so far as to buy a (VAS 5054A ODIS V4.1.3) from ebay, but I couldn't get it to play nice with my Win10 computer.

Currently I'm running LED bulbs with a smaller 25w load resistor in my Dynabeam headlights.
Old March 14th, 2018, 08:24   #3
nestea

TDI(s): 2006 jetta

Thanks for the reply, I think I will go the resistor route as well. The LED's I got are 30watt each, however they shipped with 50watt resistor/decoder. The 25watt resistors would make much less heat and satisfy canbus. Do the 25w resistors make too much heat to install inside the headlamp assembly?
Thanks
nestea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 10:09   #4
SootHappens
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~44

Yes, unfortunately the 25w resistors still get hot enough to melt plastic. It's probably best to mount it to something metal. For some reason, my car was happy to keep both lights on with the use of only one 25w load resistor, connected to the passenger side circuit but YMMV.