www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 11th, 2018, 08:08   #1
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46
Default rear axle bushings

Yeah, BABY!
The real deal!

I replaced the originals on my B4V (255K miles on them) with the Meyle version that lasted about 15K. They are SOOOO torn up it is hard to drive in a straight line. Having a broken rear spring doesn't help either.

The OEMs were something ridiculous like $170 each at the time and have since come down to $38 each at the on-line VW site.

I wonder if the recipe for these OEMs has changed to reflect the cheaper price. What would VW care if they only lasted 15K? These cars are now at least 20 years old.

We will see. I really put them through their paces on the dirt road where I live.

Last edited by JETaah; March 11th, 2018 at 08:33.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 09:15   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I wonder if they're on their way to NLA? If they work out it might be worth getting another set....
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 12:11   #3
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
I wonder if they're on their way to NLA? If they work out it might be worth getting another set....
My thoughts exactly. I've seen this same thing happen when parts move to NLA.

The reason these go south is because of excessive suspension travel in the rear. That could come from repeated hammering on gravel road washboard or from bouncing due to blown out struts etc. The more rotational twisting the more likely it is they will tear and separate. Even a failure in one bushing will bring about the failure of others.

One might not like the manufacturer of the the replacement products but that's what we have to work with, the OE product is not some magical item that outlasts all others by decades, it's just not possible.

In fact I would really like to know when those new bushings the OP is going to install were made. I would bet it's not recent.

I'm going to put this out there again, VW did not manufacture the originals, and my guess is that there were several companies who supplied VW with the parts for these since the cars using these were produced for a decade.

If you're really concerned about longevity then buy the poly ones. You will have to import them but they are available. Also, they're available in different grades of stiffness.

For rubber goods I would not probably seek out OE parts that were made a decade ago just because they are OE. Just because it wasn't installed doesn't mean that the rubber hasn't degraded. I would be more inclined to use fresh aftermarket rubber goods than 10yo OE stuff.

I have 23,000 miles on my Meyle rear bushings and at last look they were doing fine. I will be checking them in the spring though to make sure it's all still good.

My .02

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 12:35   #4
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

I have had issues when using other Meyle parts. In fact I usually have fit issues with them.
The A4 sway bar bushing kits had brackets that weren't even close to fitting.
The bushings themselves wore (torn to shreds) out in 10K miles.
Breather tube for the 1Z/AHU block ?The fit was just ridiculous. I consider Meyle a cheap part that you put on a car right before you OFF IT! It might as well be Prothe.
I could go on but won't.
You could be very right about the OEMs being blow-out specials manufactured 2 decades ago but this will no doubt be the last time I change them. Meyle could have the last laugh that I paid so much for them.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 23:22   #5
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

I am not a fan of Meyle, I tried to use their hydro front control bushing kits on my MB 300SD and they would not press into the control arm. That was the beginning of my disfavor with them.

I know that Meyle is the low cost provider for these rear bushings but had there been something else between Meyle and OE I would have tried it, unfortunately there wasn't anything at the time. I tried to get a Febi kit for both sides out of the UK but shipping was horrible.

I do see now that RA carries a Moog kit for the rear and also one marketed by AC Delco.

As for the breather tubes there isn't a decent aftermarket product out there from what others have commented. I know that Abacus has tried several and they all seem to fail pretty quickly. I have a Dorman installed now and I'm just waiting for it to start leaking.

It's not getting any easier to find product, maybe I should check into the poly bushes again, those would definitely outlast the rubber we have now.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 18:35   #6
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

I'd definitely have higher trust in an OE part that has sat in a box or wrapped up, not exposed to much ozone or sunlight for 20 years than I would a brand new manufactured last week Meyle part.
Old March 13th, 2018, 06:58   #7
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Make sure you have the suspension leveled when you do the final tighten on the bushing through bolts.

Seen too many suspension bushings fail prematurely due to improper orientation when tightened (tightened with suspension hanging) - causes the rubber to be stressed with the suspension on level ground.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote