www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old March 11th, 2018, 14:11   #1
berks_tom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 42 mpg
Default Searching for used Mk V. What to look out for in non TDI models

Earlier this week, my son totaled the 2006 Jetta in my signature. So I am now looking for a replacement. Since we are very familiar with the Mk V model and we've become something of a Vdub family-- my other son has a 2013 GLI, I am looking for a Golf or Jetta as a replacement. Although it would be a much easier search if a manual transmission were an option, I am stuck searching for an automatic (or DSG). Please don't tell me I should force him to learn a manual. I've already had that conversation.

Based on the expected insurance company payout, I'm looking around the $3500 price point. I've found a number of cars on craigslist. They all seem to be from 2005.5 - 2007 and have the 2.5 motor with around 130K miles.

I test drove one car last evening. I was just about convinced to buy the car when it started shifting very hard into second pulling away from a stop. It did this repeatedly for me until we got it back to the parking lot.

Is the auto transmission a common problem on the non-TDI models? My DSG never gave me any problems on the TDI. and the car made it to 289K miles.

What are the other problem issues I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

(Mods -- If I put this thread in the wrong place, feel free to move it.)
"When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." -R.A.Heinlen
berks_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 18:01   #2
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

The 6 speed auto in the 2.5 is probably the only weak spot in the car.

You SHOULD be good just replacing the valve body, but it's a gamble. I would say out 8 out of 10 transmission problems behind the 2.5 are solved with a valve body.

Good odds, unless you are one of the two.

The good news is that the 6 auto from a 2.5 are so abundant, we get them from salvage yards for about $500.
Old March 11th, 2018, 20:35   #3
berks_tom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 42 mpg

Thanks. That's a bit more reassuring than what I read on Vortex last night.

The information I found there suggested the valve body was the common culprit, but it sounded a lot pricier for the parts and/or replacement transmissions. It sounded like the valve body went for around $1000 and the transmissions went for about $1400 or more.
"When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." -R.A.Heinlen
berks_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:07   #4
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Well, What you read is correct.

A new (Reman) valve body goes for $950-1250 depending on what part number it needs. PLus you have the fluid, filter, and gasket.

A new (reman) trans goes for between $4,000 - $5,000.

The price I quoted was for a used transmission from a salvage yard.