Cylinder block and head mating surfaces ready?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Without getting into it, as I have other threads on the topic, I have some questions on assembling my used engine.

I have cleaned up the block and head and have two concerns. First that there appears to be fly cutter marks from the original decking of the block. See attached photos. Second is that I can still see the head gasket marks on both the cylinder head and the block. I cannot feel them with my fingernail but can see them.
Other than these two issues the block and head look really good. Measure pretty much perfectly flat and the cylinders look great and the piston tops look great.

What do people think? Ready to assemble?

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Those machine marks are common, I see them all the time when I get heads back from the machine shop. The other marks are also common, nothing to worry about. What did you use to clean the deck and head surface with? looks very rough.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
It Looks a lot rougher in the reflections than it is. I used a grey scrubby and 220 paper with dawn. The Bentley says nothing coarser than 100 grit. I didn’t even get close to that.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Are you going to lap the valves as suggested in Bentley? Check the guide runout?
This is a chance to return an unknown head to nearly new specs.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Spray on head gasket coating is my 2 cents other than making sure the valves have no play in them and are lapped with new seals.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Are you going to lap the valves as suggested in Bentley? Check the guide runout?
This is a chance to return an unknown head to nearly new specs.
I haven’t done that before, so I was not planning on it. Looking at the condition of everything, I have pretty good confidence in it, but would be interested. The more I do the longer this takes, and my working conditions are not the greatest.

Pull the cam, then the lifters, and then what? The Bentley isn’t very specific about the steps involved. Special tools needed?