How do people typically lower a MK4 Jetta?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A lot of sites (ours included) consolidate what is a surfeit of part numbers into a few springs, since the aftermarket doesn't make available all the options that VW's catalog shows. This is further complicated by suppliers often using incorrect or obsolete part numbers in their catalog, so what you see on a web site may be the suppliers incorrect number, not the correct number for the spring that was originally in the car.

I've had Golf, stock Wagon, and Wagon towing springs in the rear of my Wagon at one time or another. Trust me, the car sat at a different height and handled and rode differently with each. They are different.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Here is what my sedan had on it:

https://autotech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-498-804K

They are progressive rate springs and much lower than stock. The car did handle much better than my wagon. I had assumed that the previous owner had recently lowered the car, but I was wrong unless he used old struts/shocks. The shocks and struts were worn out, causing the harsh ride, I'm sure. I've replaced the shocks, struts, and springs all the way around. The ride is much nicer and the car is much higher off the ground. It doesn't look as cool though. :)