How much steering assist is normal?

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Odd question, but my 2k Beetle has been in the body shop for a month after a minor deer strike. Meanwhile I've been in a 2020 Jetta rental. I swear I could probably steer that thing with my pinky finger. After getting back in Beetle today I thought the engine was off, the steering was so heavy. I'm trying to remember now if that's the way it's always been and if I just got used to it. It does have the slightly bigger 17x7 Siata wheels so more rubber on the ground, but not that much more rubber.

Is this normal? Do the pumps wear out commonly and is it particularly hard to change?

Non related question, they ended up having to replace the bonnet and I can't believe how much louder the thing is without the original sound deadener fabric. They unfortunately didn't see fit to transfer it to the new part and they've disposed of my old panel already. Anyone know if they're available or anyone found a good substitute material? I thought about Dynamat, but I think that's more to stop reverberation rather than to actually muffle sound.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The shop should provide you with an installed replacement.
Steering isn't real "light" in the MkVl cars. The new ones are electric assist, aren't they?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, the shop should have transferred the insulation and you should have then get another for you. I wouldn't pay if they didn't.

Sounds like you have an issue with the steering to me, it's possibly the vacuum line not connected well. Doesn't sound like they did a spectacular job to me.

If you had insurance take care of it you can complain to them and they'll be good at getting you what you should have gotten to begin with. They have the power to pay, or not pay so they get what they want...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Yeah, the shop should have transferred the insulation and you should have then get another for you. I wouldn't pay if they didn't.

Sounds like you have an issue with the steering to me, it's possibly the vacuum line not connected well. Doesn't sound like they did a spectacular job to me.

If you had insurance take care of it you can complain to them and they'll be good at getting you what you should have gotten to begin with. They have the power to pay, or not pay so they get what they want...

Please explain where the vacuum comes into play with the steering system.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
The shop should provide you with an installed replacement.
Steering isn't real "light" in the MkVl cars. The new ones are electric assist, aren't they?
It would have been nice yes. This issue was getting it fixed period. At first my insurance wanted to total it, bumper, turn signal, one head light and bonnet on a 20 year old car will do that. I had to beg and plead and show them many thousands in repair receipts from the last 12k miles before they'd agree to not wreck it out. So I wasn't going to kvetch over a piece of dirty sound mat. I pick my battles.

Not sure, but that sounds likely. I suspect electric helps with efficiency, no drag. That crazy thing got as good fuel efficiency as the TDI if the computer was anywhere near accurate.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Please explain where the vacuum comes into play with the steering system.

Vacuum was a phone insert I didn't see before sending, sorry, a loose line was all that was supposed to be there.

Do you have any whining when you turn the wheel?

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Vacuum was a phone insert I didn't see before sending, sorry, a loose line was all that was supposed to be there.

Do you have any whining when you turn the wheel?

That makes more sense.

It seemed like when I did a fluid flush and put in new CHF 11S, my steering was a little heavier or so it seemed, I can't speak of beetles, still working on making everything work on mine. I'm finding so many things that are beetle specific it's ridiculous, the intercooler... really

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I personally prefer the feel of the '02 to the new ones. I've heard these cars even use that system to nudge you if you get out of your lane. As one who keeps their cars to the grave, I can only imagine what type of stuff you'd have to deal with when they give trouble.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
I can only imagine what type of stuff you'd have to deal with when they give trouble.

Exactly what I felt driving that car for a month. There is probably miles of wiring in the things now. Every time the eco mode would shut off the engine at a light I'd think, "what fun it will be when this feature develops a personality and it starts shutting off at other times". I don't even have much faith in keyless entry. I had to have the immobilizer zapped out of existence in Beetle several years ago because it would sometimes just not start despite the fact that the proper key was inserted.

Part of my wanted to let beetle get totaled because they said they'd give me 4k for it, which is I'm sure more than I can sell if for. But I have no interest in buying a rolling computer. The only feature that was a real value add to me was the backup camera because I have neck issues.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I also felt my steering was "heavy" in my mk4 after not driving it for a while. Then I remembered hearing German cars have what may be more caster angle than other cars (due to the higher speed stability needed of Autobahn), I'm not sure how if its a old wives tale, but my VW steering always feels heavier than any other car, but in a good way.