2006 Jetta Tdi 5speed manual - 6speed manual conversion - can it be done?

TDI
98 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
We have a 2006 Jetta TDi with 156k. Recently noticed a blob of gear lube on the driveway and took it in to a local repair shop. Looks like we need a new clutch AND transmission. Having a really hard time finding one to swap out. After hearing all the trouble with the 5speed manuals, we wanted to investigate the feasibility of getting a 6 speed manual (from a 2009, maybe). Anyone know if it's possible, where to look and what it will take? Our mechanic has exhausted most of his contacts for a swap and is looking at an extensive rebuild. We'd rather not go that route if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
All the trouble with the 5-speed manuals? The only trouble im aware of is the DMF which you would get with a 6-speed as well (unless you changed it to an SMF, which you could do in the 5-speed...).

Is your 5-speed giving you problems? Why are you wanting to replace it? In other words what besides the word of your mechanic tells you it needs replacing?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
6-speed is a direct bolt-on. There was a guy from UK who shipped 6-speed trans. Do some search and you might be lucky.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Yes it can. But lots of work. They use different flywheel & clutch, starter, dirve axles, various, brackets, etc. If you are serious, Ryan is probably the easiest way to go.

TDI
98 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
All the trouble with the 5-speed manuals? The only trouble im aware of is the DMF which you would get with a 6-speed as well (unless you changed it to an SMF, which you could do in the 5-speed...).

Is your 5-speed giving you problems? Why are you wanting to replace it? In other words what besides the word of your mechanic tells you it needs replacing?
Well - "all the trouble" may be an overstatement to some, but it just seems that there are plenty of websites out there that list various powertrain issues with the mkV. And, yep - I'd say it's giving me problems. It's not a matter of wanting - but having to replace it... that's typically what you'd have to do when the rivets shear off the clutch plate and work their way back off into the transmission gouging a neat circle in the input shaft wall, trying to make themselves at home where they don't belong - you know, mayhem and carnage. We'll probably replace the DMF flywheel (not apparently damaged - go figure) with an SMF seeing that (based on what I've read) it seems to be more reliable. I don't want to do this again. K - enough validation.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Jetta, which is why I'm willing to sink the cash into it to get it back on the road as quickly as possible, and even shed a few more bucks to upgrade the transmission to 6 speed if possible (sounds like too much effort, though). So - any other feedback on what we should consider?

Pam

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
First and foremost, I am just making sure money isn't being spent without good reason to spend it (unless you have a lot of money to spend and its burning holes in your pocket). To do so I wanted to make sure you (are aware that you) may not actually be having problems with your GQQ transmission and only with the clutch/flywheel.

What I gather is that the GQQ transmission never experienced a failure, and is still in operational condition (just with some new machining done to it by the clutch), which is what I wanted to check.

"Looks like I need a new transmission" personally is a bit of a red flag with this transmission (considering how reliable and proven it is), except in rarer cases similar to yours where the clutch/flywheel are hell bent on doing damage to the tranny... As well as that, any post containing sentences including but not limited to: "took to local repair shop" and "the mechanic says" is always up for question in my book. That's the reason I chimed in.

I bid you good luck on all your current and future endeavors.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Yes it can. But lots of work. They use different flywheel & clutch, starter, dirve axles, various, brackets, etc. If you are serious, Ryan is probably the easiest way to go.
Not actually true. As far as I know, there in NA the code of gearbox is GQQ. I have a 6-speed with code GQM. It also uses 228 mm flywheel and clutch, same starter, etc. All you need to do, I think, I swap the shifter. Not sure about the axles and other different brackets, though.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Not actually true. As far as I know, there in NA the code of gearbox is GQQ. I have a 6-speed with code GQM. It also uses 228 mm flywheel and clutch, same starter, etc. All you need to do, I think, I swap the shifter. Not sure about the axles and other different brackets, though.

Got the full setup sorted now. Looks like the swap is going to be pretty similar to a A4 Golf Swap, especially from 5 - 6 Speed.
Thanks Ry
Source thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302432

In the MkV (per Bentley's, ETKA, & personal experience:
The OA4 5 speed gear box (various sub-codes) uses a 228mm flywheel.
The O2Q 6 speed gear box (various sub-codes) uses a 240mm flywheel. GQQ & GQM are sub-codes.
The different flywheel size = a different starter.
A different transmission case = different axels & brackets.
As with the later MK4 brethren, the shift mechanism can be reused.

TDI
98 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
"Looks like I need a new transmission" personally is a bit of a red flag with this transmission (considering how reliable and proven it is), except in rarer cases similar to yours where the clutch/flywheel are hell bent on doing damage to the tranny... As well as that, any post containing sentences including but not limited to: "took to local repair shop" and "the mechanic says" is always up for question in my book. That's the reason I chimed in.

I bid you good luck on all your current and future endeavors.
And we appreciate it, the chiming and the feedback - thank you! You've given us good food for thought, and good questions to ask.

kjmiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Look up JasonTDI here on the boards and give him a call. It would be worth your time and effort to get the car to him in Madison.

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
And we appreciate it, the chiming and the feedback - thank you! You've given us good food for thought, and good questions to ask.
Can I ask if you got your transmission problem fixed and what was the outcome?