ECU tuning for 2006 PD 1.9L TDI DIESELS

seniac

TDI
2006 jetta 1.9lt TDI
Im in red deer alberta and cant seem to find any dielers or tuner companys close other than upsolute in calgary for my 2006 jetta tdi anyone have the upsolute tuning on their newer pd tdi,are you happy with it. Anyone know somewhere close in alberta thats doing good ECU tuning any info would be great?

Last edited:

Poolboy1191

TDI
2006 Jetta
I want to know where one is close to Wichita, KS. I don't want to have to pull my ECU, but i will if i have to.

I also have an 06 TDI PD motor.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Both of you would benefit from tuners that use flash loaders.

Malone Tuning
TDTuning
KermaTDI

seniac

TDI
2006 jetta 1.9lt TDI
MALONE TUNING and Flashzilla tuner

Has anyone used the flashzilla tuner from malone tuning im looking at the 124hp or 140hp tunes for my 2006 jetta TDI any reviews would be great one more question anyone recomend a good exhaust temp gauge for newer jetta and were you mount it?

Last edited:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Has anyone used the flashzilla tuner from malone tuning im looking at the 124hp or 140hp tunes for my 2006 jetta TDI any reviews would be great one more question anyone recomend a good exhaust temp gauge for newer jetta and were you mount it?
Malone has an excellent reputation. I'd say you should contact him directly.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I have a q-loader from kerma. There is several good people that do the tunes. I like the ones that have a loader that you get the tune emailed to you to load on your car. For the record your turbo's will limit you the most on the tuning. You can't have more then 18 psi boost on a stock PD engine.

hytron

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - PD 1.9L
I have been looking around the net and seems like MALONE TUNING is a good place to do your tuning.

And now here is the main question: Does the tune shorten the life of your engine?
If VW could get 24hp and 50ftlbs more out of their engines, why didn't they adjust/modify the ECU so engine would perform better? Where is the catch here?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It shouldn't reduce the life of your engine.

VW could do a lot of things differently, but it is a balancing act between emissions, longevity, power, fuel economy, and other things.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
I have the stage 2 40hp tune from TDtuning.com it was a fantastic mod. I highly suggest it. Made the car a lot more fun to drive and gave me a nice mpg bump when I stay out of the throttle.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
I have a Malone Stage 4 tune on my Jetta and I have 518k miles on it. Still original engine and transmission, so tune has not shortened the life of my engine.
Contact the Malone Tuning dealer in your area and you will not regret it, you will wish you had tuned your car a long time ago. :)

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
Malone Dealer in Red Deer

Flo-Pro Performance Exhaust in Red Deer is a new Malone Dealer. Sorry no phone number for you.:D

hytron

TDI
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the inputs!!

Does stage 2 require any additional components to be replaced/tuned other than the ECU? Would the stock turbo provide enough boost pressure?

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
Stage II tune for BRM

With a stage II tune, you should have it logged via VCDS to make sure you are safe. :D

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
As a Malone dealer, I can speak for his Stage 2 (and also for Rocketchip as a former Stage 2 user of Jeff's on my personal '06). Answer to your question I believe is the same for each of these two tuners.

Stage 2 is designed to push the stock hardware as far as it safely can be pushed. In the case of your car, the turbo is the limiting part with a smallish turbine being the restriction and boost creep that can cause turbo failure due to overspeeding being the problem. There is variability from car to car though and a stage 2 tune on one that does not creep may creep on another. That is why Malone recommends logging stage 2 PD tunes to verify creep won't be an issue. IIRC, RC handles it the same. Because that tuning level is a tad close to the hardware (turbo) limit, a boost and EGT gauge is recommended for monitoring creep and possible dangerous EGTs so that you can prevent issues by lifting your right foot under those conditions. It is not difficult as dangerous boost creep and EGTs are not something you will run into very often, only under sustained high load / high torque request such as very illegal speeds and say driving hard up a long and steep mountain pass in too high of a gear.

Stage 2 tuning is as far as you want to go with stock hardware. Next step for a '06 is a bigger turbo and a little more tune. Thankfully, there are now a few good options.

2bitthugs

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have a stage 1.5 from Malone installed on my 06 BRM. Nice little bump in performance. Also gain some MPG's if driving conservative. Besides those gains it also puts out a some black. Nothing crazy but noticeably more.
I recommend a 1.5 from Malone.

hytron

TDI
Thank you for this fine explanation. I am still thinking between stage 1.5 or 2. I drive this daily so didn't want to damage something. Sounds like stage 2 would work good except in certain conditions, so driving it in a normal manner should be a problem at all, correct?