2005 tdi (bew) jetti

evad

TDI
2005 jetta
2005 tdi (bew) jetta

I have a problem with my jetti,it has a surging problem with it. The 4 shops I've taken it to are all stumped. If you hold the speed at 75 to 80 it has a constant surging or miss. When you set the criuse at a speed it will begin to slow down, then if you tap the throttle it will go back to the speed it was set to. this all takes place between 2000 and 3000 rpm's. Also if you go up thru the gears at a slow pace you can feel the surging, but if you get on it the car performs fine. If anyone out there has any ideas on this problem, I would appreciate the INFO!

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Welcome to TDIclub!

It's a Jetta, not Jetti...

Try to find someone nearby who has VAG-com, or VCDS for short. They'll help you diagnose. I doubt there are any indy shops in MONTANA that specialize in TDIs. Then again, how far are you from Boise, ID? Username "Drivbiwire" is one of the top gurus and lives there. Definitely worth the drive to have him look it over/diagnose whatever problems you're having.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I would try this easy test: disconnect your MAF (mass air flow) sensor and go for a drive and see how it drives. It's the electrical connection where the accordion intake tube meets the air filter box. Running with the MAF sensor disconnected will cause the check-engine light to come on for a while, but it will go off on its own, and driving with the MAF disconnected will not harm things. But if it drives better with the MAF disconnected, it means you have a bad MAF sensor. One of the possible symptoms of a bad MAF is that it sometimes messes with the cruise control, but my experience with that is on an ALH motor, not a PD/BEW.

(if you do end up needing a new MAF sensor: http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=648 )

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
How is the idle smoothness? I wonder if your camshaft and lifters are beginning to wear out. Has VW 505.01 oil been used it's whole life? How many miles are on it?

Another possibility is a failing in-tank lift pump or glogged fuel filter.

--Nate

evad

TDI
2005 jetta
Thanks frugality,andreigbs,and pdjetta for the info. I will work on thes ideas. The car has 200k on it, but has been maintained very well. The idle is perfect, and have used 505.01 oil from the beginning. Had the fuel system cleaned and have changed the fuel filter every 9 months. Again thanks for the info. If there and other thoughts out there please post them. Thank You!