Decent Buy?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
2003 Jetta wagon with 48,000 miles on it. One owner, always maintained/serviced by a VW dealer (hmm...), asking $17,750. Photos show a very nice looking car. Owner says no known issues or problems. I'm going to look at it within a few days, I hope.

Opinions are welcomed, please. Could this car last a good 10 years?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Sounds reasonable. Even dealers may not be using the correct oil, but that's pretty common, and at least you don't have to worry about the PD's special oil.

Definitely should last a good 10 years.

If you're serious about it, get a Carfax report, and check and make sure it isn't a flood vehicle from the Gulf.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did. The Carfax report is totally clean, even though I realize it can miss very recent history (although they now have a buy back guarantee).

If you're serious about it, get a Carfax report, and check and make sure it isn't a flood vehicle from the Gulf.

funvin

if you won't, I will.

Where did you find it? (I don't expect you to answer that until you finalize the deal :p)
I have been looking for a jetta tdi wagon since months. Am settling for a golf cause jetta wagons are so over priced.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are two Jetta wagons in this discussion group. I mentioned one in Montana, and fmrownr listed his here. They're out there.

funvin said:
Where did you find it? (I don't expect you to answer that until you finalize the deal :p)
I have been looking for a jetta tdi wagon since months. Am settling for a golf cause jetta wagons are so over priced.

LarryLymb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003 Mojave Beige, 5 speed
2004 Jetta GL Wagon, 5 sp man, Silver, discovered for sale in LaBelle FL today at Best Motor Works, 35009 miles, Dark gray cloth seats, Gary Mader, 863-675-1442, previous owner reported bought hybrid Escape, comes with 8 quarts of 505 oil and filter. $17,000 but owner says he will talk if financing not needed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The '03 wagon sounds like a good buy, and I would grab it as wagons don't come up often. Yes, it will easily last 10 years. At 4 years old and 120K my '02 drives better than new (although I've changed it a bit...).

Do I understand that it's in Montana? If so, an additional benefit is that Montana doesn't use road salt so it is that many years ahead in the rust department.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got one! I drove to Vermont from Massachusetts yesterday to look at a 2003 blue Jetta wagon with 48,000 miles on it. One owner couple, all scheduled maintenance done ( I checked with the Vermont dealer's service manager), extremely clean except for a few minor paint scratches. I drove it for about 30 minutes and the engine seemed fine, especially up steep-ish hills. All systems, electronics worked as expected. $17,000.

LarryLymb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003 Mojave Beige, 5 speed
Anyone run a Carfax report on the 2004 wagon in LaBelle FL? It looked like it was in good shape and a real quiet running engine.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I did. What's the VIN?

LarryLymb said:
Anyone run a Carfax report on the 2004 wagon in LaBelle FL? It looked like it was in good shape and a real quiet running engine.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
MWG, sounds like a winner! Are you in possession of it?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I put a deposit down and we signed a purchase agreement. I expect my home equity line of credit checkbook this week. If anyone is heading up to the Burlington area in a week or two from northeast Mass., please let me know.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Mass. Wine Guy said:
If anyone is heading up to the Burlington area in a week or two from northeast Mass., please let me know.
You should still try to make a roadtrip to Oregon someday. Get out of the liberal Northeast and visit the liberal Northwest. And see a few Red states along the way.

And congratulations on finally finding the car you wanted.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I attended undergraduate college at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, and fought forest fires in Oregon and Montana, so I know quite a bit about the Northwest. Enough to know that except for Seattle, Portland and a couple of other spots, it's pretty danged conservative. Still, I miss it a lot.

TornadoRed said:
You should still try to make a roadtrip to Oregon someday. Get out of the liberal Northeast and visit the liberal Northwest. And see a few Red states along the way.

And congratulations on finally finding the car you wanted.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Mass. Wine Guy said:
I got one! I drove to Vermont from Massachusetts yesterday to look at a 2003 blue Jetta wagon with 48,000 miles on it. One owner couple, all scheduled maintenance done ( I checked with the Vermont dealer's service manager), extremely clean except for a few minor paint scratches. I drove it for about 30 minutes and the engine seemed fine, especially up steep-ish hills. All systems, electronics worked as expected. $17,000.
Congratulations! Blue is the best color! I know you'll love the car. Let me know when you need anything (hint, hint). You can probably arrange a pickup!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry to be so dense, but what do you mean "when I need anything?" And how do you mean arrange a pickup? From MA to VT?

IndigoBlueWagon said:
Let me know when you need anything (hint, hint). You can probably arrange a pickup!