Replacing coolant temp sensor

PKtdi

TDI
2000 Jetta, green
The dealer wanted $480 to fix my glow plug/relay/temp sensor problem. I told them I was having none of that and went and got my car back. I followed Wingnut's Glow Plug 101 guide and so far have ruled out ALL the plugs, the relay, the fuse, and most likely the harness, basically everything they wanted to fix. Total cost to me = $0.

I'm basically down to replacing the coolant temp sensor. I've read about pulling it quick, putting in the new one and then topping off the coolant, that's fine, my problem is where is it? Is it the one Wingnut points out in his guide? If it is I don't see how you can do that very quickly, it is behind and under the coolant plugs and alot of stuff is in the way. If it is this plug, does anyone have suggestions as to how to make that area more easily accessable? How do you pull it, is there a clip or anything holding it in, or does it just yank out? If it is not this plug, can some one point out the one I am suppose to pull? This is my first car and I'm still learning where everything is at under there....

One more thing, I heard the C.T.S. was $6, what's a good price for G12 and do I need to go to the d(st)ealer for both or can I pick the stuff up at a CarQuest or someplace similar? (I live in MPLS)
Thanks in advance guys.
PK

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
Rob has you in the right neighborhood for the sensor. Look for the cooolant hoses below the vacuum pump on the driver's side of the engine. If your car is a manual trans, you'll see 3 wires hooked up to the coolant pipe. The sensor is below and behind them. It will have an electrical connector on it similar to the one on the MAF, but smaller. The connector works the same way as the MAF connector. Use the MAF connector as practice for how it unplugs.

The part is cheap- Hooray. The coolant isn't, but given what you will save by doing it yourself, do you really care??

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Reading this thread should help:
Coolant temp sensor disaster

As to the location, if you can find the three coolant glow plugs sticking up like three fingers, imagine there's a thumb pointing rearward toward the firewall/cabin. That's where you'll find the sensor.

PKtdi

TDI
2000 Jetta, green
OK, so we are all talking about the same sensor. I already unplugged it once, while I was testing the relay to make it think it was cold and produce a voltage across the harness. So I can unplug the connection to the sensor itself. How about the sensor though, is there a clip or anything holding that in, or is it just press fit and wiggles out? Do you leave the plug in to aid in pulling the sensor out? Thanks guys.
PK