Intake Port Buildup

turbobuilder

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Custom mix silver
I removed the head from my newly acquired TDI(75k) today to discover that the intake ports and valves had massive amounts of deposits. Pics to come.. Has anyone else seen this problem? Its no wonder the car felt like it had no power. A valve job and some head work on the flowbench should improve the situation /images/graemlins/smile.gif

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else seen this problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, let me say welcome to Fred's turbo,

Seccond, this problem is not isolated to your car, in fact, it affects EVERY stock TDI. Solution: turn down the EGR (this method has come under scrutney lately..) or move / filter the CCV (eg, with the OldNavy CCV filter, which I look forward to installing on my vehicle when I get the $$$).

Do a little searching and you'll fund a plethera of info about this, how to prevent it, what causes it, and how to remove the crud. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Jason

turbobuilder

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Custom mix silver
Luckily when the engine goes back in the car next week it will be minus an egr system.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
Luckily when the engine goes back in the car next week it will be minus an egr system.

[/ QUOTE ]
And will be driven off-road only. (wink, wink)