Some new trivia....

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Chrysler Group's new 3.6L V6 engine has how many exhaust manifolds?

OK, car nuts, go for it! ( I know its no VW related, but it's a change)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You guys are all too good! Yes, they integrated the manifold into the head:). I don't have a link though. This was the trivia question in the latest Rock Auto newsletter.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yeah, I don't get this design, on a couple of different levels. Surely the aluminum exhaust passages are going to increase the load on the cooling system. Great in winter for getting faster engine warm up and heat to the cabin ... not good in summer with the engine running under heavy load.

Doing that would also be expected to cool off the exhaust gases more. Not good for catalyst light-up.

It also means the exhaust can't be tuned - at all. Mazda is using long-tube headers on their upcoming Sky-G Activ gasoline engine specifically so that the exhaust pulses help scavenge the cylinder out. I know a good many modern cars are having the catalyst close-coupled to the engine, which precludes exhaust tuning anyway, so there are a few different ways around this.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Hehe... MrMopar, it does not appear to me that you have ever spent a summer in Phoenix.
New Mexico, yes. Phoenix, no.

Chrysler certainly has huge numbers of engineers who can take care of problems like the cooling capacity that their engines need, and they do extensive hot weather testing. I'm sure it will be fine.