steering wheel

alame

TDI
2005 Passat
on my recent 05 Passat purchase I notice the steering wheel spokes aren't straight across or level when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead, the spokes are slanted down to the left hand side about 3-4 degrees, the car steers great no pulling to either left or right and i haven't checked any other Passats to see if this is "normal" ?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
No, not normal. Your alignment is off.

It may just be a matter of the toe out a little on each side amounting to the steering wheel off center. The total toe may be in spec.

The only way to know for sure is to get an alignment check/adjustment.

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
No, not normal. Your alignment is off.
It may just be a matter of the toe out a little on each side amounting to the steering wheel off center. The total toe may be in spec.
The only way to know for sure is to get an alignment check/adjustment.
This^^^ or there's a chance that someone before you removed the steering wheel for whatever reason and didn't get it straight.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If the front subframe was ever removed (transmission work, etc.) and wasn't put back to the same location, it will make the steering wheel be off centre and the car still feel like it's driving straight. Essentially as Windex said, you need an alignment.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Do some research on that car's front suspension. It is not "typical", and has some special requirements.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Does your oil pan look new or freshly installed?
Any service records come with the car?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
This can also happen when alignments occur and the mechanic adjusts only one tie-rod end.

I usually specify that they make sure the steering wheel is straight when I get an alignment done. The mechanics just look at me funny but the work gets done right.

alame

TDI
2005 Passat
This can also happen when alignments occur and the mechanic adjusts only one tie-rod end.

I usually specify that they make sure the steering wheel is straight when I get an alignment done. The mechanics just look at me funny but the work gets done right.[/QUOTE

oilhammer

TDI
I'd look at you funny too. Because that to me would be the same as saying "Hey, be sure to fill the crankcase with oil when you change my oil". :p

Steering wheel centering IS part of an alignment. ;)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'd look at you funny too. Because that to me would be the same as saying "Hey, be sure to fill the crankcase with oil when you change my oil". :p
Steering wheel centering IS part of an alignment. ;)
Most reasonable, ethical technicians would say the same.

I've had to re-do a number of "alignments" where the total toe was good, but the steering wheel was still off to one side.

Or where the rear toe (independent) was not adjusted and sitting at .5 of a degree on one side.

Or where the Camber was .5 of a degree different from left to right, technically just in spec, but solved by a simple subframe shift.

Or where the body was tweaked due to a hard curb hit, and needed a slight pull on a rack before caster on that side would come in spec, but th eprevious shop just got lazy.

There aren't enough of you out there Oilhammer, that's why consumers need to be wary... :D

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I did the ghetto way after the transmission swap on my Passat. Pulled the steering wheel and moved it over a notch. :) Put 90K kms on it since and the car drives straight and doesn't eat tires.

oilhammer

TDI
There aren't enough of you out there Oilhammer, that's why consumers need to be wary... :D

Tell me about it. This NB came in today, and this is what I found:

This car has BRAND NEW struts, springs, tie rods... and an alignment. Yet the control arm bushings are in several pieces. The sway bar bushings and links are all wiped out. Both ball joints are bad, and the brand new shocks in the rear were installed with the crumbling stumps of what is left of the jounce stoppers. :rolleyes:

alame

TDI
2005 Passat
UPDATE: got the Passat dialed in today, toe out/in was outta wack it was previously aligned by a amateur I guess, steering wheel is centered as its supposed to be and steers as per factory specs.......thanks for all the input regarding my question I do appreciate the wisdom on this forum