DSG tune without ECU tune

Optical TDI

I'm looking for feedback for those (if any) that have done the DSG tune without doing an ECU tune.

I would love to do an ECU tune, but the HPFP issue bothers me while in warranty. However what would it be like to have the DSG tune...$500 well spent or not?

For those of you that have done the DSG tune without an ECU tune, let's here your impressions.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Never heard of anyone that has done that. Would be interested to see if anyone replies that they did...

Optical TDI

what results are you hoping for after spending $500?
Since I won't do the ECU tune, I'm looking for other ways to improve the TDI. Suspension is one option. However perhaps the DSG tune will improve the driving experience...maybe more throttle response, crisper shifting...maybe nothing.

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI
Go with Malone. I paired mine with a 1.5 tune as well but I could see the DSG tune working on its own. Shift timing vastly improved, gear display enabled, etc. I think it could work.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I did mine with the 1.5 as well but I have been seriously thinking about doing just the DSG on my Passat I like the DSG behavior so much after the tune. The altered shift points really suit the CR TDI much better and the gear indicator is a nice bonus...

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
I have the DSG software without any engine tune as of right now. One of my reasons for getting the tune was to try and see if it would smooth out some of the jerkiness of the DSG. It did seem to help with some of the engagement delay from a dead stop, as well as some of the jerkiness at slow speeds. I also like having the gear indicator on the cluster display. The software also includes launch control. I tried it a couple of times, but don't see any practical uses. As far as the shift timing goes, it does seem to short shift as compared to the stock software, which is no doubt to keep rpms low. I have noticed that the software can sometimes ignore a full throttle downshift, such as when passing or merging. Even when there are plenty of rpms available, it sometimes will not downshift to give you maximum acceleration. Of course, you could pull it into "S" or shift it yourself, but I am talking about normal driving in "D".

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
I have a HPA dsg tune prepaid for that I never had installed...I have a credit with them that I don't foresee using since I ended up tuning it with Malone instead.
If you are interested I can save you a hundred bucks on it...let me know :)

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have the DSG software without any engine tune as of right now. One of my reasons for getting the tune was to try and see if it would smooth out some of the jerkiness of the DSG. It did seem to help with some of the engagement delay from a dead stop, as well as some of the jerkiness at slow speeds. I also like having the gear indicator on the cluster display. The software also includes launch control. I tried it a couple of times, but don't see any practical uses. As far as the shift timing goes, it does seem to short shift as compared to the stock software, which is no doubt to keep rpms low. I have noticed that the software can sometimes ignore a full throttle downshift, such as when passing or merging. Even when there are plenty of rpms available, it sometimes will not downshift to give you maximum acceleration. Of course, you could pull it into "S" or shift it yourself, but I am talking about normal driving in "D".
I believe the reason it sometimes ignores full throttle downshift commands is they are built in. Mine does not downshift easily but with the engine tune and added torque it doesnt need to. I believe the dsg tune is matched to the engine tune to a certain extent so one without the other makes it a little off. I like that it doesn't as anything above 3800 rpm is useless anyway.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
We have (only) a DSG tune on our Passat, we like it a lot. The stock transmission firmware had it shifting too late... the car is faster now.

-J

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I know I am reviving a dead subject but I wanted to get some recent updates/ tho it’s on the subject. Just picked up a ‘13 SW DSG and I’m slowly getting used to the DSG, but it seems like the factory calibration shifts far too early and it seems to fall into a rev range that I imagine “lugs” the motor too often.

I was curious how many guys have done DSG only tunes and what some updated results have been.

With your experience in the field does a DSG tune seem to negatively effect the DSG in any way? Shorter life? Shorter service intervals?

What does your tune change the D shift points to; “S” shift points to?

Reactions: kmi

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I have a Kerma tune on my 2013 Golf, but no DSG tune. Prior to the tune I couldn't really see an advantage to a DSG tune. Now I do. VW changed the DSG shifting some, as compared to my 2013 Jetta TDi-DSG that I turned in in 2016. Wish I'd kept it. The Golf has more road noise, but the Continental tires may be partly to blame. Anyway, the car launches hard in 1st a bit harder than the stock tune, and in 2nd gear the engine no longer lays down & reduces power, so 2nd is damned near as violent as 1st! Its almost like the damned thing is going to tear itself apart! I get tire spin in the first two gears, and even 3rd if the road surfaces are right. It is quite fast, even compared to a pre diesel-gate TDi. Passing on 60mph+ two lane roads aren't nearly as iffy as before the tune. The tune is supposed to add 34hp and 95fp torque. It feels like I'm getting most, if not all, of those numbers. My seat-of-the-pants dyno says it's got more!

I bought the tune for better fuel economy, if I could keep my right foot off the firewall I would be getting better mileage. I'm seeing 6-8mpg better on the instant fuel economy numbers on straight and level roads at 60-65mph. After the fun wears off I expect I'll get better mpg, and hoping it's in the low-mid 40's. Current best 1 tank is 39mpg, and over the 7 months I've owned it it's averaging 37.1, not real good IMO. My Jetta got 40.1mpg over 3+ years of driving over 25k miles. Driving habits are virtually the same with the Golf, which is lighter and was originally listed as getting (IIRC) 42mpg combined miles. So now the Golf TDi gets worse miles with the fix. VW really screwed us on the MPG's on these TDi's with their 'fix'. I think this tune is going to put me back in the 40's range. We shall see.