Loss of accel. power/now loss of electrical power

Christina

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Hi everyone. It's been a very long time since I last posted here; hope all the Metro DC area TDIers are doing well.

My 2001 Golf has been pretty fine so there's been no reason for me to post, but now it's sick. I'm not very knowledgeable about cars so forgive me for what may be imprecise language...

For a little while now I've been noticing that I have to push the "gas" pedal pretty far down to get the car to shift properly, and it seems to rev up unusually high -- like, up to 30 on that RPM dial -- before it downshifts. And it seems to labor when I go uphill. I do mostly city driving so it's not often an issue because I'm not driving highway speeds and I don't have to put on quick bursts of speed. But, it's bothered me enough that I knew I would have to take it into the shop soon. (Meaning, when I had enough money.)

Today, I was out and the car was driving fine early on, but then when I left a store and cranked up I couldn't turn the steering wheel (easily). Turns out my power steering was gone, and that battery indicator light on my dashboard was illuminated. I drove straight home (a chore, with no power steering) because I assume that indicator light means that I was driving off my battery and that it wasn't properly recharging.

The owner's manual says this could be an alternator problem, but I'm wondering if the acceleration problems I've been having, and this electrical problem, could be linked? If so, is this a very expensive repair?

Of course, I've got to take it to be fixed as soon as possible. Any DC area shop recommendations other than Martens? I've not been very happy with them. I've been going to Pat Goss Auto World in Seabrook, Md. but I'm worried I might not have enough juice to get there from DC. However, since they've done much of my recent service, perhaps it's best to stick with them?

Christina

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Re: Loss of accel. power/now loss of electrical po

No thoughts at all? The power steering issue turned out to be a broken belt, which is nice -- I was afraid it was something much more serious. But that still leaves this "revving up really high before downshifting" problem.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan

I would guess either the MAF or a clogged intake. I believe the MAF can be replaced under warranty if you are < 70k miles.

Have you ever had the intake cleaned? It could be gunked up.

I understood there was a pretty active tdi group in the D.c./Maryland area. Maybe someone could look at yours first hand.

hth
-tom

Christina

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf

I'm well over 70K, but, thanks for the tip. I'll post this question in the regional thread.

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver

I think the low power is probably the MAF. Try unplugging it and see if the power returns. This will set a CEL. My auto tdi behaved just like that before I replaced the MAF. I logged the output in vagcom and determined it was reading low. The low power causes the trans to "act up". The MAF is available through www.dieselgeek.com at about $80.00. It's not hard to replace. Do the air filter while your in there and I would clean the air box too. They are very sensitive to dirt/dust.

The other problem sounds like a broken serpentine belt. That belt drives the alternator, power steering, and the aircon. I'll bet your air conditioning doesn't work either. If it's the belt, it shouldn't cost much to fix.

Good Luck,

Roger

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue

Since the belt is being replaced, the alternator problem may very well be fixed at the same time. Do try the MAF test.

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver

One thing I forgot, check the snowscreen for blockage while your at the airbox.

Roger