MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
My heat used to kick ass
then I deleted the egr cooler and all that

Planning on an exhaust heat recovery dealiemabob, just gotta get around to doing it.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Anyone interested in a silver '05 mk4 5spd with 130k and a brand new set of general altimax Arctic tires? I won't be needing it in Seattle. Oh, btw, I'm moving to Seattle.

I think we are going to keep the b5.5 and sell the mk4.

Also for sale: 1983 Honda Cb1000c cheap, runs.

Let me know. I'll be around until at least mid March.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Cold Jetta

I had a similar problem till I replaced the thermostat, which was a big help. I only drive 13 miles to work, half that at 55 mph, the rest in town at 25-45ish.

What alos helped, was I put my aluminum belly pan back on. That keeps the cold wind off the bottom of the engine. yesterday here in Wisconsin, it wa -4 F, I start my car, let it run maybe 45 seconds, then I pull out and go. My SCangauge said water temp at start up was 19 F, within two miles at 55mph, I was already at 89 degrees, when I hit 100 F water temp, I turn on fan on low. This 03 Jetta heats up nicely, I almost always hit 180 or by the time to get to work, about 20 minutes. I have no heated seats either.

You will b surprised how much that belly pan makes a difference on how fast the engine warms up. I have an Evolution brand, but others are just fine as well.

My two cents.

couleetdi

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
1st, I will when I get back on Tuesday (currently visiting my wife in Seattle). I hadn't actually expected to get a bite right away.

40X40, the '83 has about 65k miles. I bought it 3.5 years ago with 61k. It's the brown color, has a set of vetter bags that don't quite match the brown (aren't pretty either) and adjustable back rest, comes with a basic grab rail too. The 80-82 cb900c and 83 cb1000c are the weird 10 speed bikes. They have a high/low sub-transmission to switch the output from the left to the right side. In reality, it's more like a 6spd.

+I went through the carbs completely last year.
+New fork seals
+agm battery
+only 500 miles on the valve shim adjustment
+has both side covers
+ only 800 miles on the front tire and life left in the rear
+new brake pads
-one of the mufflers (of 4) is cracked
-needs a new speedo gear at the wheel (5 minute job one you find the part)
-not pretty

It's a good bike to get you from here to there if you aren't too concerned with looks, or a good base to start a project. It was a good commuter with the bags.

I'm thinking $1000.

djnelsontdi

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Blue(dark)
Anybody notice the fuel, diesel price at Mills Fleet Farm in Blaine lately? I've been filling up there and the price has been $.15 to $.40 cheaper than the stations along Hwy 65. Today I paid $2.579 a gallon, and on Hwy 65 the stations have it advertised at $2.799.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Anybody notice the fuel, diesel price at Mills Fleet Farm in Blaine lately? I've been filling up there and the price has been $.15 to $.40 cheaper than the stations along Hwy 65. Today I paid $2.579 a gallon, and on Hwy 65 the stations have it advertised at $2.799.
It's usually significantly cheaper than anywhere around. Always where I fill up, except when I happen by too late at night and they're closed. (Who closes pay at the pump? They do... :confused:)

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Last December on my trip from Dallas to Mora we stopped in Cambridge for fuel at 12:30 am and pay at the pump at all the stations near 65 were turned off except the one next to Mc Donalds, which happened to still be open with someone working inside.

I have seen some cities start an ordinance where stations must have an attendant on duty for the pumps to be functional. I hope this isn't going to start happening as I use pay at the pump quite often. Even more so when driving 18 hours non stop.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Lately the cheapest stations have been along Hiway 61 in Hugo, or maybe it's WBL, and at the Holiday in Columbus just north of the 35E-35W merge, and at nearly all the stations in Lino Lakes. So I'm not surprised that Fleet Farm off the Lexington exit would try to be competitive with them.

Generally speaking, diesel prices are no longer falling and in some cases they've gone up a bit. Most of the Freedom stations were $2.699 and they all went to $2.799 several days ago. But diesel prices have not risen like gasoline prices have -- RUG was $1.89 a month ago and now $2.29 is common. I think this just means there was a healthy profit margin built into diesel prices and now that margin has diminished.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I paid $1.72 a gallon this evening for RUG here in Dallas, but diesel is still around $2.67/ gal here.

ajaxstar

TDI
MK3 TDI Jetta (being parted out) MK4 Jetta (sold) 96 B4 Passat Wagon
original owner car dealer

Has anyone had any interactions with the original owner car dealership out of Eden Prairie, MN? I was just curious as it seems they sell a number of TDIs and I was going to take a look at one of their vehicles.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Has anyone had any interactions with the original owner car dealership out of Eden Prairie, MN? I was just curious as it seems they sell a number of TDIs and I was going to take a look at one of their vehicles.
I looked at the Craigslist ads and was not impressed. Your best bet is to find a privately-owned TDI with complete maintenance records. And, right now is still a good time to buy a used TDI -- demand for them generally increases in the spring and summer, and the prices go up a bit.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
You know it's a cold morning, when you think the person in the next car is waving at you, so you wave back, only to realize, they are scraping the interior frost off their side windows.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
You know it's a cold morning, when you think the person in the next car is waving at you, so you wave back, only to realize, they are scraping the interior frost off their side windows.
I just returned from Maui yesterday afternoon and boy was that a rude awakening! Did not see many TDI's on the island, maybe because D2 was priced at $4.30 with RUG being around $2.80.

The old Golf fired right up this morning with only one GP cycle after sitting in the unheated garage for the last 10 days :)

Schuttsr1

TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Wagon, 2003 Jetta
I was just curious if anyone has had this happen to them?
I replaced the thermostat and housing with a factory one this past summer and every thing was all good till the last couple of cold snaps.the housing will start to leak to the point where I can smell it and after I **** it off and cool down a little and drive it again it stops leaking. When it hits mid 20's I haven't seen it leak yet.
I may just replace it again but I thought it was odd.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Also check you transmission mounts make sure you don't have to excessive drive-train movement under acceleration. As we found out that lot of times thermostat seal leaking even after its been replaced with new housing is cause of worn-out transmission mount. Causing engine moving too far inwards and pulling on radiator hoses and plastic housing that is held by 2 bolts gets pulled to side and starts leaking coolant. The ALH's aren't so common to happen as hose seems to be bit longer but on 1.8T engine they are pretty short. Also seen many radiator mounts break then whole radiator/condenser/fan assembly drops down and held by radiator hoses.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
its where I purchased mine.. they were good to deal with.. I was camping in SD and they held it for me..

2 weeks after I bought it my tdi threw the t-belt and took out the head etc (118K on the clock)... they werent terribly helpful then.... didnt even try to find out details on when it was replaced etc... didnt even offer to cover some costs etc..

after that I will not buy thru them again... just saying

ajaxstar

TDI
MK3 TDI Jetta (being parted out) MK4 Jetta (sold) 96 B4 Passat Wagon
its where I purchased mine.. they were good to deal with.. I was camping in SD and they held it for me..

2 weeks after I bought it my tdi threw the t-belt and took out the head etc (118K on the clock)... they werent terribly helpful then.... didnt even try to find out details on when it was replaced etc... didnt even offer to cover some costs etc..

after that I will not buy thru them again... just saying
Thanks for the info, and sorry you got put through the ringer. I figured there was a reason why they have had that 5-speed mk4 Jetta wagon for sale with the pictures taken in the summer.

Schuttsr1

TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Wagon, 2003 Jetta
Did you buy the housing from the dealer or idparts? If the latter, yeah that's not OEM and have been found to leak.
I did use an oem housing with o ring but I did use a stant thermostat. I rechecked tourqe on the bolts to see if they backed out and they are still at 11 ft/lb. I do have worn motor mounts and was going to replace those with the timing belt when it warms up a bit.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
v8coupe info

I know everyone around here knows Sean, so I wanted to let everyone know he was involved in a very serious car wreak and is in the hospital (critical condition as of last night).
I know this is the proper forum but I feel this is where he spent most of his time. Please keep him in you thoughts and/or prayers
:(
I wish him a speedy recovery!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=435379

nexxus

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi 5spd 2002 5spd swap 2004 jetta tdi 5spd 1971 mgb 1973 triumph tr6 audi tt rsd 180fwd
need to rent tools for alh timing belt

Hi I need to rent tools for timing belt alh. Will pay cash deposit and rental fee.
St Clould or twin cities area. Thanks Mike;)

nexxus

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi 5spd 2002 5spd swap 2004 jetta tdi 5spd 1971 mgb 1973 triumph tr6 audi tt rsd 180fwd
tool rental

Thanks for the fast reply! Funny I was going to contact you about a tune. Thanks again Mike

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Hmmm I was just gifted a brand new turbo assembly.

Looks like I have some reading to do before I attempt an install etc.

Not that I Need this mind you.... but since I've never done a proper cleaning, it may be the right time to get it done.