heated mirrors

julesjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2015Golf Wagon DSG TDI, 2005 TDI Silver Jetta stick daughter #1,2013 TDI Jetta daughter#2, 2015Tiguan, 2015 Jetta TDI stick
It's getting colder here and I am not sure if my heater mirrors are working. How can I tell? Are these easy to replace?

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
If you turn it on and give it a minute or so it should become warm to the touch. They could be burned out if you've left them on all the time.

julesjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2015Golf Wagon DSG TDI, 2005 TDI Silver Jetta stick daughter #1,2013 TDI Jetta daughter#2, 2015Tiguan, 2015 Jetta TDI stick
How do I turn them on/off?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Putting the switch in the center position where the 'hot mirror' icon is located turns on the elements. Either of the other two positions turns them off. There is no thermistat, so don't forget to turn them off after a while.

julesjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I never noticed that icon before. It was off

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
It would seem that I have a different set-up than most others. My mirror switch has L-O-R, and with the switch in any position, the only way that the mirrors heat is when the rear defrost is on.

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
I don't have that switch at all. I was told that if I wanted to turn on the heated mirrors that I just have to turn on the rear defroster.

julesjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what my manual says. Use the rear defroster switch. But I have a nice little defrost symbol between L and R. I'm sure that I had left it on defrost all last winter and into the summer until my daughter readjusted the mirror, with no ill effects. It did dry the water off when it was raining though!

Wake

TDI
Jetta 2002 black, Passat 2004 silver
I've used them without the window defroster on.

I was under the impression that you had to put the knob in the center position and move it toward the rear of the car to turn the heaters on.

But maybe not