Probably tie rod ends but just to be sure.

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
Hi.

2001 Jetta TDI
297,000km 5spd

Here's my story. When driving on the highway @ 110kmh, if I accelerate some what quickly the car pulls to the right. Also when driving on the highway if I drive in a lane with those truck ruts, the car goes side to side in rut with me holding the steering wheel straight.

At cruise it drives pretty straight if there's no wind.

I've replaced A-arm bushings, Ball joints and shocks this last summer. Pretty much leaves the tie rods at fault, with the cars age and KM. As far as I know the tie rods are still from factory.

Let me know what you guys think.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Tough to say. I'd recommend getting it on a machine to check the allignment. A visual inspection might yield some results with a good "pull" test to see how loose things are. Also check tire wear, I've seen brand new ball joints fail in the first 100km and cause similar problems like the jittering in the ruts issue, showed up on some cupped tires shortly after.

How are the struts/shocks?

Second thought... have you checked your power steering fluid?

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
You'll be able to tell a loose tie rod by just grabbing a rod and pulling on it. I've only ever had one loose in 50 years of driving, on an Alfa Duetto Spider. Got the forked tool to remove them.

A loose tie rod can be dangerous, as it can drop down and cause loss of steering.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
A worn tie rod won't be as likely to drop apart as a loose one. And the wear is slightly more difficult to identify than by just pulling it.
The play will be between the ball and socket and a mere tenths of millimeter clearance, hard to detect at the joint, will be magnified by the suspension geometry to become a detectable wander long before a truly unsafe situation arises.
That said, the VW strut suspension design has several items that can contribute to this torque induced toe angle change. When you changed the struts did you also install new bearings and top strut mounts?

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
I didn't change the strut mount or bearing.

I guess I'll order those parts today and the tie rod ends to.

I'll lift the car up tonight and see if there's any play on it.

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
This issue wasn't that bad and I had no problem dealing with it before. But I bought a trailer this weekend and when I was pulling it home the car felt like it was almost out of control. Cruising along the highway I has to slow down a few time because it was all over the place.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
from my experience , factory tie rods and ball joints last long time , unlike new replacements

You should change the strut bearings before trying anything else

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
Just to put a close to this topic (i'm bad at putting a final result in my posts). Turns out when I changed the bushings in my A arm, I forgot to torque the drivers side front bolt. It was working it's way out causing the arm to move side to side.:rolleyes:

Anyway. It's tight and the pull to the right is gone.