Parking brake cable replacement, step by step

SgtPete

TDI
2002 Golf
Just completed my parking brake replacement. Thanks for the lessons learned as written up. I need to add two additional items for others.

My 2002 TDI Golf rear axle retaining clip were removed by using two screwdrivers. Seems VW tac welded two screw into the rear axial chaise. They used these metal scews to attach the retaining clip. With a very small screw diver blade to lift up the metal tap on each these axial screw thread. I need to work both screws and each four small side retainers within each clip independently while wedging a second screw driver blade behind the clip pushing down. I took slow some work, not force here, because you need to reuse these clips moving each side retainer over the screw thread. These open and come apart for the new cable, attach on work bench. Ensure cable lengths of old same as new, and direction of clip is same.

My VW had a arm rest/center compartment dead center above the brake handle housing, which needed to be removed. The rear plastic horizontal cover to the rear and below the arm rest splits apart, using small screw diver at the seam on driver side. Then on the driver side there is one bolt that holds the metal support bracket for the arm rest. The arm rest should be removed first.

My brake cover housing had a 1 inch by six inch plastic cover in the rear near the floor, this popped out using a small blade screw diver. You will get better access to both rear torx screws.

Thanks all for there help in my repair. I should of done this six months ago.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Thanks for the how-to. Did this today, and the only difference I had was it was a T20 for the 4 screws that hold the centre console. For the $2.50 that it cost for each axle retainer clip, it wasn't worth the time to save the old ones.

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Apologies if I missed something, I've searched a few threads for this. Is there a way to adjust cable length? one cable is an inch or two longer than the other.

just like this pic off the first page.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Apologies if I missed something, I've searched a few threads for this. Is there a way to adjust cable length? one cable is an inch or two longer than the other.

just like this pic off the first page.
No way to adjust the individual lengths of the cables. If they are this far off then there is most likely a problem with one of the cables. Most likely one of the cable jackets is rotting and getting compressed which causes the inner cable to "appear" longer, when really its the jacket that has gotten shorter.

Andy67

TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI (stock)
Cannot insert new cable !!

Was going along swimmingly on the passenger side, then went to do the driver's side and it was reluctant to pull out. I used pliers to rotate the nut at the end of the sheath where the cable enters the cable guide tube leading to the lever and got it to release and got the old cable out. However, I cannot insert the new cable fully. It won't come through the hole where you attach it to the compensator. I've tried twisting while inserting, etc to no avail. I suppose I could try and tape a shorter, thinner lead to the end and then pull it out but wondered if anyone had experienced that before?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Make sure that the arm on the caliber fully releases. If not, the cable lengths will be different.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
I had these parking brake cables from MetalManParts.com sitting in my garage all winter.

I had been using zip ties to hold the brake cable ends into the autocompensator to keep the left one from slipping out.

I was able to re-use the "C"-shaped clip from both calipers.

I carefully removed for re-use the rear axle clip on each side.

Axle clip close up.

At this point the cable just slips out of the chassis tube, well the left side did anyway, the right side required extra twisting it eventually popped out. The metal thing just before the silver tube looks like a nut but it is not, there is no thread inside the tube.

With the new cables installed my autocompensator is now copacetic.
I have a 99.5 Jetta and cannot get the brake cable housing to release from the chassis tube!! See second to last picture above. My cable end housing must be an older style because there is no " nut " as shown in that picture. It just a round plastic piece.

Anyone else have this trouble and is so what did you end up doing to get the old cable out?

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Nothing moved and I twisted and pulled very hard. Ended up carefully drilling out the end of the chassis tube with no damage to that tube. Then had fun trying to thread the new fatter upgraded cable ends into the console housing. All told this job took me 5.5 hours. So much fun working on a car that's seen 14 Minnesota winters.

Skullbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen
Clamps

Those clamps that go onto the two screws by the rear axle are a PITA.. I saved them for re use, but the new cables have the thicker rubber sleeve, so the diameter is bigger. Have been trying to bend them to fit the new cable. Annoying.. Guess they changed the clips too? Will have to see if the local dealer has them and finish tomorrow.

Forke

TDI
'02 Jetta
Big thanks for the good pictures. I have a 2002 Jetta with an armrest, and I found that all you have to take apart inside the vehicle is the armrest, and the rear ashtray. Of course I found this after taking the entire centre console apart.

Push the seats all the way back, and recline the drivers seat more than 50%.

The plastic cover can be pried off the driver's side of armrest. Remove the 13mm bolt and pull the armrest out.

Then pry the plastic cover off the rear ashtray (either side) to reveal tabs on the ashtray that can be pried to pop it out. You should now have as much access to the parking brake cables and cantilever to replace the cables without pulling apart a large portion of the interior.

Careful prying plastic...

Holly Money

TDI
MKIV golf gls
You definitely can't go by the VIN for the cable type. I ordered a set from tdiparts.com and got a pair of 1J0609721AC, which isn't the right cable, but I'll just add it to my parts inventory for when they go on my 2003 Jetta. I need to replace the cables on a 2000 Jetta, and even though the VIN is about 4000 units past the supposed split point, it still has the old style cables.
So, the only way to find out exactly which e brake cables are needed is to look at them physically?

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
MK4 e-brake cable replacement

Same dilemma as mentioned above - boot split at rear disc, and in freezing weather, snow and water get in there and the dam*ed thing sticks, leading to no release or to a very hot rotor after driving with it on :mad:

Going with this
http://cascadegerman.com/product/1j0609721ac-set/
and asking Aaron to verify it works for the '99.5. Thanks for the helpful write-ups, gentlemen.