European Jetta to US in 2014?

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/jetta/european-jetta-to-the-us-in-2014.html

Just the Facts:
  • New U.S. Jetta is deliberately less sophisticated than the Euro Jetta to meet cost targets.
  • If the Jetta performs well, the U.S. could get the upmarket Euro version at the model's midlife point.
  • The upcoming GLI trim level with multilink rear axle is the closest to the Euro Jetta that we'll get for now.

NICE, France— Volkswagen North America has made clear the strategy for the new Jetta and Passat. It is entirely different from the strategy for these cars in Europe.
After a recent drive in both a Jetta SLE with port-injected 2.5-liter five-cylinder and five-speed manual shifter around Detroit and then, right after that, the Jetta 2.0 TDI (turbocharged direct-injection diesel) in top Highline trim with six-speed dual-clutch automatic in France, the qualitative differences became even clearer. Inside Line promptly grilled Jetta Global Technical Project Leader Frank Donath.
First question was flat-out: Will there ever come the day when Volkswagen brings the real deal near-premium Jetta and Passat to North America at a competitive price?
And Donath shot back, "There is the strong chance that the midlife Jetta for North America could get all of the European features. It depends on sales performance."
We might get the real Jetta.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
who cares? raise your hand if you will pay $40,000 USD for a Euro spec Jetta Highline TDI.

I will agree 100% that the EDM Jetta is what I would love to have, but not at the cost. If i am spending that much and waiting till 2014, I will get a TDI 4 model from Audi.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
who cares? raise your hand if you will pay $40,000 USD for a Euro spec Jetta Highline TDI.

I will agree 100% that the EDM Jetta is what I would love to have, but not at the cost. If i am spending that much and waiting till 2014, I will get a TDI 4 model from Audi.
If that is what it would cost, then why is Euro Golf TDI sold in North America not $40,000?

Go play with your HID's.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
last time I checked a euro spec 2.0 JTDI DSG Highline started at 29,000 EUR or 40,000 USD.

This forum seems to be crawling with people just looking to stir up $**t.

Go troll somewhere else.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I'm pretty sure that includes a 19% VAT, which would put the pre-tax price around 34k.

diesel313

TDI
shortly
:eek:

Exactly, 26k bucks for a beautiful car, with keyless entry, push start, navigation, sunroof, 42 miles per gallon:eek:. Who gives a crap about plastic dash and independent rear suspension, i dont have that in my mustang and i could care less. You cant buy a ford fusion v6 with cloth for 26k. A Chevy Cruze which i just test drove just for the hell of it is 25k dollars, and i wanted to crash it head on into a wall after driving it.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
In what way? The entry level TDI is selling for ~21k, 40K is almost 2x 21K. Am I missing something or are you in permanent pi$$ed off mode since the HID fiasco.
Why would I be pissed off about my HIDs? I see brighter, further, and have a better then stock appearance with a OEM-like install. :cool:

VAT is "value added tax". It's about as optional as any other tax.
Hmm not optional? So I think that makes the euro spec JTDI Highline 40k? But Im no expert. ;)

Thanks, 34k seems much more reasonable than 40k... (but still a bit expensive for my taste)...
34k is reasonable? What about tax, title, registration? In Arizona that would make a JTDI Highline almost $38,000 USD?

:eek:

Exactly, 26k bucks for a beautiful car, with keyless entry, push start, navigation, sunroof, 42 miles per gallon:eek:. Who gives a crap about plastic dash and independent rear suspension, i dont have that in my mustang and i could care less. You cant buy a ford fusion v6 with cloth for 26k. A Chevy Cruze which i just test drove just for the hell of it is 25k dollars, and i wanted to crash it head on into a wall after driving it.
+elevendy billion. Thank you.

I was OTD with the USDM JTDI loaded w/Nav, for more than $10,000 less then a euro spec model.

So I will say it again, "who wants to spend $40,000 USD for a JTDI?"

NedWrecks

TDI
2011 Jetta
34k is reasonable? What about tax, title, registration? In Arizona that would make a JTDI Highline almost $38,000 USD?
Don't mis-quote me. I said 34K is much more reasonable than 40K. I also qualified that it was not reasonable enough for me to buy it (That's what "too expensive for my taste" means).
:mad:

Also Check this out:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/index_en.htm

"Goods which are sold for export are or services that are sold to customers abroad are not subject to the VAT..."

E

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
unless its awd and has oem projector hids i could careless about the dash difference. Now if its awd mines getting traded in.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Don't mis-quote me. I said 34K is much more reasonable than 40K. I also qualified that it was not reasonable enough for me to buy it (That's what "too expensive for my taste" means).
Also Check this out:
"Goods which are sold for export are or services that are sold to customers abroad are not subject to the VAT..."
E

csb, what you posted above is so ridiculous I will not even respond.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
In case anyone else is annoyed by ~Jb's trolling and needs a way to avoid his posts until he gets banned, here's a nice little feature I just found:

User CP > Settings and Options > Edit Ignore List

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I saw four of these 2011 Jetta today (non of them TDI) this afternoon in Richmond BC, in addition to a lot of other VW (half of them TDI). I say VW isn't selling bad in Canada. The 2011 Jetta does not look bad, sat in it, it is not bad either. If you compare the base north american Jetta to a base Corolla, except for power out put, the Jetta is way better in every other way. Even the EPA FE is only 1-2 mpg behind a base Corolla. Why would you buy a Corolla when you can buy a Jetta?

And the most amazing thing is that consumers aren't going to spend $40000 on a Corolla or a Elentra no matter how luxurious and advance it is, but a Jetta has a real life market value from $15000 to $40000 all over the world.

The 2011 Jetta is a very good and safe design with extremely flexible capability, the same kind of deep design depth and configuration possiblity rarely seen in any current car model.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
+100
Its actually hard to fathom that outside the USA Highline Jettas TDI's sell for so much. When I was looking to make the switch to a diesel, of course my first thought was VW/Audi. The first car a saw and drove was a 2010 TDI Cup priced at 38k, the second was a A3 Ti priced at 35k. I could have probably picked it up either model for few thousand less, but my point is that even with all the features people complain the Mk6 lacks (soft touch, gas shock hinges, full MFD) ie the "true German car experience", that was just way to expensive for a car I plan to put lots of miles on. I glanced at the 335d but after markup and the dealer explaining urea, 45k was a definite no.
Diesel in USA is still a niche market, I did not realize how bad this was until I bought a diesel. My family, friends, coworkers make fun of me and really dont understand at all modern diesel at all, they just think big trucks and black smoke. Furthermore, almost all the gas stations to and from work dont even sell diesel, something I never even noticed.
I think VWoA has done a great job, bring a car that compete with all the value of the asain and american market. While luring people with this factious $15,995 Jetta, dealers can show potential customers the great quality and features of German Engineering, oh and show them the TDI models! :)
In the end, I picked up my JTDI6 for only a couple thousand more then a equally equipped Elantra, and I could not be happier with my choice.:)

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
+100
Its actually hard to fathom that outside the USA Highline Jettas TDI's sell for so much. When I was looking to make the switch to a diesel, of course my first thought was VW/Audi. The first car a saw and drove was a 2010 TDI Cup priced at 38k, the second was a A3 Ti priced at 35k. I could have probably picked it up either model for few thousand less, but my point is that even with all the features people complain the Mk6 lacks (soft touch, gas shock hinges, full MFD) ie the "true German car experience", that was just way to expensive for a car I plan to put lots of miles on. I glanced at the 335d but after markup and the dealer explaining urea, 45k was a definite no.
Diesel in USA is still a niche market, I did not realize how bad this was until I bought a diesel. My family, friends, coworkers make fun of me and really dont understand at all modern diesel at all, they just think big trucks and black smoke. Furthermore, almost all the gas stations to and from work dont even sell diesel, something I never even noticed.
I think VWoA has done a great job, bring a car that compete with all the value of the asain and american market. While luring people with this factious $15,995 Jetta, dealers can show potential customers the great quality and features of German Engineering, oh and show them the TDI models! :)
In the end, I picked up my JTDI6 for only a couple thousand more then a equally equipped Elantra, and I could not be happier with my choice.:)
JB,
What are you referring to when you mention "the dealer explained urea" regarding the 335d?

Thanks

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
The dealer told me that the car required "urea" something that at the time I did not even really understand. The dealer explained a solution that is injected into the exhaust system, that produces cleaner emissions and better gas mileage, but it would need to be topped off every so often and refilled about every 10,000 miles. Something that BMW dealership charged $300-$700 for after the maintenance agreement expired. The dealer also explained that if I did not stay up on the refills the car would not run. However, the car would remind you, by displaying warning icons.

Still to me it was an added cost per mile, on an already expensive car. So I passed :)

NedWrecks

TDI
2011 Jetta
csb, what you posted above is so ridiculous I will not even respond.
What a DB!

You asked about the Value added Tax, I posted an article that explains what it is and the fact that it would not apply to a vehicle sold in the US.

That's twice you've crapped on my posts when I've tried to engage you in a discussion.

I won't attempt to engage you going forward. I encourage others to follow suite.

e

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Now the name calling begins? Lets go back for a second and review what you have posted. I will "discuss" all your posts without name calling.

LOL

jb: Where did you get a $40K price tag? Was that in the article? I find it hard to believe it would justify 2X US base price.

E
Common knowledge via, vw.de

In what way? The entry level TDI is selling for ~21k, 40K is almost 2x 21K. Am I missing something or are you in permanent pi$$ed off mode since the HID fiasco.
Again common knowledge had you searched for one second via, vw.de, then you took a cheap shot by throwing on the "HID Fiasco", nice.

Thanks, 34k seems much more reasonable than 40k... (but still a bit expensive for my taste)...
Here you posted that 34k is much more reasonable. However, you took nothing into account like destination, city and state sales tax, or fees of any sort.

Also Check this out:

E
Then here you said: "I also qualified that it was not reasonable enough for me to buy it (That's what "too expensive for my taste" means)."

Im not sure if that was even English? You then pointed me to a European website explaining VAT. Which would not apply to a car in America, but still managed to overlook the fact that I said here in America we are all still responsible for for taxes and fees, that will vary from Cali to NY. So it is very likely that a 34k Jetta could still reach that European $40k price point when its all said and done

What a DB!

You asked about the Value added Tax, I posted an article that explains what it is and the fact that it would not apply to a vehicle sold in the US.

That's twice you've crapped on my posts when I've tried to engage you in a discussion.

I won't attempt to engage you going forward. I encourage others to follow suite.

e
Lastly, the name calling, unless DB means something different on the west coast. You again referenced your worthless to American buyers, VAT explanation website, and again managed to totally disregard American Tax.

You accuse me of crapping on your post, look at what you have written. It all boiled down to a nearly $40k Euro spec TDI in America, and on top of all of this you ironically called me out for not engaging with you in disscussion, but I answered you multiple times?:confused: