What is reasonable mpg for my TDI?

tdisled

TDI
2005 passat
Hi- I'm new to the club and have a basic question.

I have the 2005 passat wagonTDI and am averaging only about 31mpg city and freeway combined. everything is stock and it has 110k miles on it.

I'm aggressive but not excessive- freeway 70-80mph and i'm very good in the city anticipating red lights etc. i don't brake much at all.

I thought the car would do better.

Any input would be appreciated. My mechanic is talking about changing the timing a bit to improve things.

thx:)

ScottW

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
How is your fuel filter?

Are you running the 17" or 16" wheels? 17" you lose a bit of mileage.

I notice a big difference in fuel economy driving 65mph verse 75mph.

UberWagen

TDI
09 JSW White, DSG, Pano Roof, 17" Goal Sport
The wifes 09 JSW TDI has averaged 29.95 through 15 fill ups, figured at the pump. Worst tank 28.4, best tank 39.22. Only achieved the 39 mpg tank while on a trip running 65-75 and going light on the go pedal at all times. The wife and I both usually drive it SoCal style, either mat the go pedal or stand on the brakes.:D

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
i_dont_golf said:
who the hell drives 60-65 mph on the freeway in california other than elderly women?
I do, and would get truly awful mileage if I didn't.

Last edited:

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
I noticed you live in Sacramento, do you climb hills a lot in your TDI? I have found that really negatively effects mileage.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
perhaps the Passat was not the best choice for maximizing MPG. it is a rather unique flavor of TDI. nevertheless, it is an amazing car... you just won't see 60 MPG averages like I do occasionally :cool:

1. it's a PD, not a VE
2. it's got more power (HP and TQ) than other PDs and most TDIs
3. it's heavier

who is your "mechanic?" you can't just assume they are qualified to work on TDIs... all too often, THEY ARE NOT!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

wheel size will be a big factor here, as well as your average MPH... what is the PSI you are maintaining in your tires?

steel glow plugs/ECU reflash. there are many threads concerning the recall you questioned, here is one: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230287

i_dont_golf said:
who the hell drives 60-65 mph on the freeway in california other than elderly women?
I have the past 2 years when on vacation there, and often enjoy 55+ MPG. want to have a pissing contest? you 'fornians only seem to know 2 modes of driving: bumper-to-bumper traffic jams or balls-to-the-wall reckless behavior :D

IIRC all big rigs are limited to those speeds on certain California interstates as well

so... to answer your question I would say that 31 MPG average isn't UN-reasonable, BUT you can certainly do better. I suggest you talk to aja8888, who owns the same type TDI you do, or others who have 2005 Passats for SPECIFIC info relating to your particular flavor of TDI

you've got yourself a "highway-eating uber machine..." not an MPG queen, although it still does quite well on fuel. biggest issues you will face are:

1. the steel glowplug/ECU reflash recall
2. balance shaft module conversion from chain to a gear
3. premature camshaft lobe/lifter wear (inspect under that valve cover ASAP!)

welcome to the club Peter Myers! :)

Last edited:

texascadillac42

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I have an 05 Passat TDI, which has been tuned by Jeff at Rocketchip. It also has 17" wheels and tires (aired up to 40psi). Just completed a short road trip (420 miles each way) and averaged 38 MPG, hand calculated. This was on relatively flat midwestern interstates, all highway driving, ranging from 65-80mph, mostly at 73mph however. AC on for part of the trip.

Around town the car seems to get 32-33mpg on average, and 38mpg is about average for highway runs.