TDI Towing a Boeing 747

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
About 10 years ago a strongman named david huxley pulled a 747 150 feet, along a ladder like structure attached to the ground.

I can't find the video but its somewhere on the net, this is much more impressive in my book.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It seems impressive, but honestly it is all about the weight they added in order to get the traction. Any SUV in low range with enough weight could likely do the same thing. The 'tugs' that regularly move many of those planes around have engines in them much weaker than the V10 in the T'reg.

I just called a friend that works on the airport tugs, and they use a Deutz (German company) air cooled diesel 4 cylinder that makes less than 100hp and about 200tq...and they will drag all the smaller planes around with ease. Their "big" tug uses a Deutz water cooler diesel 6 cylinder that makes about 250hp and 600tq.

So the T'reg's 313hp and 550tq did not really have to work all that hard to pull that plane across a flat tarmac. ;)

Last edited:

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Oilhammer, ask your friend what the gear ratio is in the "tugs". Has to be realy low gear, somthing like 6:1. You could get a 5hp briggs and stratton to pull the 747 with the right gears, and traction (weight).

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If you want to really be impressive, rather than simply move the plane, see how fast the rig can go from 0 to 60 pulling it.

boogieman

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI, Gray, Completely stock(unfortunately), including the gay hubcaps, 138,000miles
joetdi said:
If you want to really be impressive, rather than simply move the plane, see how fast the rig can go from 0 to 60 pulling it.

Totally,

A pinto could probably move the jet if you could get enough traction. ITS ON WHEELS for s**t sake. :eek:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Someone should check with Drivbiwire, because that looks like a Polar/Atlas paint scheme on the plane.

BTW, he said he was going 5km, which is 3.1 mph. You should try towing one at 15 mph. LOL

I saw a tug and 747 loose it on an icy ramp once and both went spinning.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
The vid only shows that the Touareq has the same torque at the wheels as the tug they normally use.
It all depends on the gearing.