Audi 200 R5 TDI

VMP

TDI
2.5tdi r5
Hello to everybody!

I finally decided to write about my project. I own this car since August 2011. The car was bought to rebuilt the engine and enjoy driving it. The engine swap took about three month as I had not enough time and there where minor problems that were delaying the process. After I got permission to drive this car with new engine, I started thinking about improving it. The next step I did changing the old ECU to MSA-15 and on the same time EGR valve and MAF where turned off. Then of course started thinking about more power. In February 2012 bought Bosio Race 520 nozzles and GT2260v turbine with mechanical actuator, but had to forget for a while about fitting the turbine in as had no time according to my study. After a month time got fitted the nozzles and made a visit to one tdi master, in result the 3 bar map sensor was fitted and ECU was reprogramed. Then I was happily driving it till I decided to change the original transmission to the 01e 6 gang tdi transmission. Successfully found one and got fitted with custom made gearbox mounts. Also left original 2.5 tdi SMF, clutch disk, pressure plate. And only in August had thought that it is enough to keep my turbine on the shelf and started building the exhaust manifold. This procedure took a lot time as I was only trimming, fitting, sticking all the pieces together and was bringing everything I have done to welding master to make final welding. After completed the exhaust manifold I started screwing all the things together.

And there is what I got in result.
To fit all that together I welded the 3 inch downpipe, got fitted custom made FMIC with 2.3 inch pipes and fitted re welded intake manifold from Volvo R5 tdi.

VMP

TDI
2.5tdi r5

In plans:
To make 3 inch exhaust system, put extra fuel pump in the tank, another camplate for fuel pump ( need advice from you), need to put the right pressure for injectors (what do you think if first injection stage will be 300 bar?), need advice from you.
And to go for the final programme setup.

K7ERG

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 3.0tdi quattro
Nice project. What inlet manifold are you using.
Why change from stock inlet manifold? I have a AEL with some mods but still have the stock inlet.

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
very cool !
I thought about doing the same thing...
buying an old type44 avant, put in a 5 cylinder and make 300bhp !

JW

VMP

TDI
2.5tdi r5
Nice project. What inlet manifold are you using.
Why change from stock inlet manifold? I have a AEL with some mods but still have the stock inlet.
Thank you! The inlet manifold was taken from volvo r5 tdi engine, and the inlet flange was replaced in front of it. Why? Because it allows to save room, which is so valuable when you have to construct exhaust manifold.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
i really wanted a 5 cylinder in my B5 Passat but wasn;t sure a) it'd fit or b) I could do with the hassle of VNT conversion, ECU control etc.

Very cool!

How much does the car weigh??

VMP

TDI
2.5tdi r5
i really wanted a 5 cylinder in my B5 Passat but wasn;t sure a) it'd fit or b) I could do with the hassle of VNT conversion, ECU control etc.

Very cool!

How much does the car weigh??
Thanks, should be around 1350kg, but not sure. Very heavy as it is QUATTRO!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
220/300 bar is stock. I am bumping up my new set to 220/330 bar :)
^bosch injectors

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
220/300 is true only of the 1Z/AHU after a North American TSB and ALH and later. Otherwise earlier models like his is 190/300.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Not in any way that would be discernible to the driver, whether on a dyno or by seat-of-the-pants. It basically influences the crank-angle phasing between pilot- and main injections (the farther apart the opening pressures, the farther apart in crank angle the events will happen). It will primarily have an influence on emissions and to some degree combustion noise.

VMP

TDI
2.5tdi r5
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=734510#post734510

Nice project by the way! :) Been to Latvia 3 times too. :)
Thanks. :) In my country, as far as I know, only pilot injection can be measured and that means that I will only adjust the pilot injection, main injection not affected. I have heard, however, that after pilot injection regulation the main injection changes too, but how significantly – I don’t know. I would like to adjust the value for my tune–up specifications most effectively, but I have no idea where to start. Right now my nozzles have pilot injection – 220 bar break pressure and while I do not notice any problems at the moment, I would like to increase it more. More pressure=high temperature= better fuel burn, of course I understand that we are limited in pressure, despite that PD and CR has break pressure » 2000 bar at the same combustion chamber pattern +-.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I have connections in Estonia who may be able to help you correctly set up your injectors. Send me a PM if you're interested to know more.

turboquattro

TDI
Audi 2,5tdi
The stock pressures of those were 190/300, wouldn't it benefit by increasing to 220bar?
I tried 220 on my 1T (stock 180bar) and it took forever to start.
other than that run just fine and felt the same, but starting issue was so bad I had to go back to 180bar, otherwise my starter would be dead in no time, BTW the starting issue was cold or hot start, no difference.
Once I went back to 180bar injectors, starting went back to norm.

Last edited:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Anyone else had issues starting with 220bar pilot pressure? Lots of people here have set them to this so can;t see ti should be an issue (and OEM ones do come like this in certain Ve engines)
Were the 180bar injectors a completely different set of injectors?
If so there could have been other differences too?

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I have also run a set at 220/300 in a car with originally 190/300 injectors, no problems at all

VMP

TDI
2.5tdi r5
Looks like haven't written anything for a long time! At the moment everything works fine and I am happy so far, but started thinking about the next stage....
today for a couple of quids got another turbo 2559v from Saab 3.0 Tid, I am not saying that gonna fit it in, simply got it because of the interest. Has anyone experienced using this turbo, any opinions?
The one on right hand side

And another question, as I plan to use bigger nozzles, can anybody advise turbo that can work safely at 2.3 bar? I know about GTB2260vk, but maybe somebody has different opinion?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
seems to have a low trim wheel compared to the 2260vk, do you have dimensions on the wheels? if it is really small inducer it would be a better match to a 1.9 tdi

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
seems to have a low trim wheel compared to the 2260vk, do you have dimensions on the wheels? if it is really small inducer it would be a better match to a 1.9 tdi

It does look a bit smaller comp inducer possibly 42-43mm

It even has a vaccum accuator however likely has a little too much turbine flow with the higher flowing trubine wheel.Could be the perfect compressor paried up to a gtb 20/22 turbine.Mabye such a turbo exists already ?

Back on topic

I don't think you'll find a better turbo than the gtb2260 for your task.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Timing is retarded when pop pressures are increased which won't help engine start. Did you advance the timing to compensate?? Need to do this on mine.

Anyway, love the Audi! :)

sali87

TDI
AXL 2.5, AKE 2.5 Ex: 1.9 AFN, 2.5 ACV
I´ve got the gt2559v on a 2.5 R5 TDI in my Transporter.
1,8bar are save.... I´m at 1,95bar
bosio race520 or other 0.260 nozzles are enough for 250+hp

VMP

TDI
2.5tdi r5
Hello to everybody! I need your help in advice. Recently I got a problem with Idle, actually it was vibrating on the Idle. What I ve noticed is that during vibration the IQ changes 3.0-6.0mg/str and the voltage of N146 vary from 1.3-1.55v, but after acceletation the vibration on the Idle has been disappearing for about 10sec. and after same story. The only mistake was shown was:
01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146)
18-00 - Upper Limit

I started discovering the internet about this problem and I found that people who had similar problem could sort it out by changing this regulator or by cleaning it. Also it’s been advised to check the value in the group no 19, channel 1 and 2.

I decided to clean the regulator and see what happens. So next, I took the regulator’s cap off and have noticed that it is clean, so noting looks wrong. Aflet found another info that this problem can be solved by changing the adjuster’s minimal voltage from 0.74 to 0.8, so I decided to try it!
I had minimal voltage varying from 0.72 to 0.74v, I have setted up on 0.8v and could’t start the engine, after have setted the voltage back to 0.74v and it didn’t start. So at the moment I can’t start the engine at all!
Please can anybody tell what do I have wrong there?!