Ordered my 10 JSW TDI today

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
After swaying back & forth I decided to put my order in for a '10. I have been tired of my Forester for a while, I will pass that along to my son until the lease ends. So I ordered a Platinum Grey w/ black interior, Sunroof, stick, MDI and winter package. I am happy with the discount from Elliot at YBH. Should be in sometime after the first of the year. I just hope the $1300.00 will stay from the government.

Has anyone installed fog lights on a 10? And has anyone installed a trailer hitch? I plan on putting the bikes on the back and not the roof.

hammersc

TDI
Golf TDI soon
Congrats. I am interested in answers to your hitch question as I would like to use my yakima hitch rack on my future Golf or JSW tdi. It is a 2" and I imagine I can only use a 1 1/4" if anything at all hitch wise.

Your new car sounds awesome.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
hammersc said:
Congrats. I am interested in answers to your hitch question as I would like to use my yakima hitch rack on my future Golf or JSW tdi. It is a 2" and I imagine I can only use a 1 1/4" if anything at all hitch wise.

Your new car sounds awesome.

Here is one on Ebay.. 10 Jetta Sportwagen Trailer Hitch for $99.00.

has any bought one of these?

Hamman

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's, but an '84 Rabbit diesel
Careful, I remember reading about someone who had a Curt on thier
Jetta twisting under a moderate amount of hitch weight.

Search if you can.....:eek:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Hamman said:

I will be using this exclusively for a bike rack, still an issue?

Austinatlanta

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Congrats on the order. I have one that I am waiting for as well. As far as the fogs, there are some other post on the site here that speak to that issue. Just do a search for fogs on 09+ jetta. The car has to have an upgrade to the electrical before it will support the fogs. Sorry I cannot remember the tech. term for it. Some report that it will be something you can add later at the dealer once the higher line electrical components are available for the new jetta.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
All the parts are not available yet to install Fogs on a 10 Jetta Sportwagen.......VW says they won't have a kit for at least 6 Months....... I intend to install Fogs on mine as soon as I can get all the parts assembled........I will be buying a Eurowires Relay wiring harness

Hamman

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess it wouldn't be a problem with the bike rack, but go with another brand and then if you want to tow or up the weight, there's no concern.

Of course if you use a 1 1/4" to 2 converter to utilize your bike rack, you will really increase the load on the hitch and might have what amount to
high loads anyhow. I have a 2" receiver bike rack (Thule) for my minivan and with 4 bikes, it can get pretty heavy.

westface

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Hamman said:

From my poking around the CURT is the only one of the normal looking hitches that will allow 2000 Lbs. tow and 200 tongue. The car is rated as 1000 tow with 200 tongue. What's up with those Euro ones that have the weird phallic thing sticking up? How does your bike rack fit on that? Ball & Hitch trailer?

Hamman

Veteran Member
TDI
Do a search for 2009 TDI towing and in the fourth page you'll see a post about a fellow who has seen some flexing with the Curt and was not happy. That whole thread has a lot of good information on what you might want to know.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I had the early Curt hitch on my car....never used it but saw those posts about them bending.....so I emailed Curt and they sent me the new upgraded model No charge.
I'll feel comfortable now putting my draftmaster and recumbent tandem on there now!

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Well, I cancelled this order of the Titanium for November and reordered a Salsa Red yesterday for April Delivery.

lnfcpa

TDI
2009 jsw
I have the Curt on my 2009JSW. I use it exclusively for a large bike rack. I typically have 2-3 mountain bikes on the rack. I haven't had any issues.
The install is difficult. (I've put on a few other racks over the years). It's nearly impossible for one person to do without a patient helper.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Philpug said:
Well, I cancelled this order of the Titanium for November and reordered a Salsa Red yesterday for April Delivery.
You should contact Chris Farnham at VW of Langhorne PA he sells the Sportwagen for 500 over invoice and has cars in stock or can find it!
215-741-4100