Need Advise - Timing Belt Damage

TDIsandy

TDI
97 black jetta TDI
My timing belt was blown on my Jetta TDI, 97, the other week. It has a little over 97K on it. The mechanic said it did some engine damage. I believe he said it hit the pistons. He said he can get it started, but it doesn't stay running. Any advise on what I should do? Any ideas how much this costs to fix? Any other advise related to this problem is muchly appreciated. Thanks!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Your mechanic will have to pull the head off and take a look and see what happened. At the very least you will need some new lifters. Depending on how much damage he finds you might need a whole new head. Parts and labor to replace lifters can run as high as $1000. Parts and labor to replace the head can run as high as $2500. The numbers depend on what's broke, where you buy replacement parts, and the labor rate of your mechanic.

Good luck.

TDIsandy

TDI
97 black jetta TDI
Thanks for your information. He has already replaced the belt. He did say something about the head. Do you know how much time it normally takes to fix the head and lifters if needed? The A/C is broke as well; however, I was considering this as an optional feature at this time!!! :) SOOOO, I guess it is time to turn it in. I loved my little car !! :-( Thanks for the luck! A lot of thinking to do the next few weeks to make a decision!

bigskydzl

TDI
Jetta '98 green
I'm in the midst of a timing belt fiasco. I'm doing the take out and put back of the head myself. I got off fairly easy with two collapsed lifters. My valve guides were suspect. The head rebuild cost me $400. And I now have all those funky tools to do the timing belt myself next time.It's been a real big pain in the sheep skins but I won't have $3000 in it.