Intake Manifold Runner Flap

dannomyte

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This post is to serve as an FYI to other Jetta TDI owners. I searched this forum and didn't come up with the problem I just encountered, so I thought I would post about it.

The car: 2006 Jetta TDI. Totally stock.
The symptoms:
  • occasional loss of power
  • rapid clicking noise when the engine is turned off. It would sometimes repeat itself once or twice.
  • the problem could be duplicated simply by cycling the ignition. The engine does not need to be running.
The diagnosis: Faulty intake manidold runner flap
Part No.: 03G-128-063-Q
Result: problem resolved

I took the car in to our local dealership imediately when it started showing symptoms. Unfortunately I don't have the time or equipment to do the work myself, so I'm at the mercy of my very expensive dealership. They diagnosed and remedied the problem right away. Frankly I don't trust anyone else with the car.

So now you have it. If you encounter rapid clicking noise AFTER you turn off your vehicle, this may be your issue.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
How much did they charge to fix it and did they tell you how they fixed it? I thought the intake runner flaps were on the BEW engine only (the BRM did away with this set up I believe). This is the flap on each intake port (in the intake manifold) that closes at low engine speed/load to create more turbulence to mix exhaust gasses with air better in the cylinders. This malfunctioning should not create noticable running problems, nor should it be active after the "ignition" is turned off.

The dealer may be confusing this with the electrical throttle plate on the intake manifold, next to the EGR valve. Both the BEW and BRM engines have one. The throttle has plastic gears and they can strip out and make a ratcheting sound. Since the flap opens fully after the engine is turned off, if the gears are stripped out, this sound will occurr for several seconds after the engine is turned off. This happened to me. The flap assembly is very costly for the BEW and about half as much for the BRM (idparts.com has them for the BRM for about $250, I think). For the BEW you are at the mercy of the dealer, but I got mine at 1stvwparts.com for $350. My local dealer wanted $550!

--Nate

droptopp67

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I just got my 06 jetta back and the dealer is telling me I need to have the intake manifold runner replaced. They want $500 to fix it. Sounds exactly as described above "clicking" sound when I shut the car off. I have NOT experienced any performance issues. Would that mean this is more likely the throttle plate?

BTW, since I've gotten the car back 2 days ago, it won't hold coolant and I couldn't get the heat to kick on inside the car this morning (50 degrees outside) Thanks VW Dealer ;)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The runner flap is part of the intake manifold and I think this is unique to the BEW (and not on the BRM) engine. Ask the dealer if they mean the throttle housing/flap that is attached to the EGR valve. I think they are confused. Here is the part if its the throttle flap:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2246

$150 buys it and if you have nimble fingers, patience, and a set of allen wrenches and basic tools you can install it in about 30 minutes.

Any idea where the coolant is leaking from?

--Nate

Last edited:

tightgtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This post is to serve as an FYI to other Jetta TDI owners. I searched this forum and didn't come up with the problem I just encountered, so I thought I would post about it.

The car: 2006 Jetta TDI. Totally stock.

The symptoms:
  • occasional loss of power
  • rapid clicking noise when the engine is turned off. It would sometimes repeat itself once or twice.
  • the problem could be duplicated simply by cycling the ignition. The engine does not need to be running.
The diagnosis: Faulty intake manidold runner flap
Part No.: 03G-128-063-Q
Result: problem resolved

I took the car in to our local dealership imediately when it started showing symptoms. Unfortunately I don't have the time or equipment to do the work myself, so I'm at the mercy of my very expensive dealership. They diagnosed and remedied the problem right away. Frankly I don't trust anyone else with the car.

So now you have it. If you encounter rapid clicking noise AFTER you turn off your vehicle, this may be your issue.
So the loud clicking you were experiencing, was it right after you turned off the ignition and then about 2 seconds later it would do it again? mine has done this since i bought it last year and i swear i read this was normal. but now the noise has gotten to very fast clicking and today it was much slower and louder. let me know
thanks