Need Help - Black Smoke And Loud Turbo

KINGANT

TDI
1999 GT TDI 110
Hi guys,

just want to see what you guys say here as i have no idea. I have a 1999 gt tdi golf mk4 and it has had a new turbo and it does make a nice but loud wooshing noise, all my turbo petrol cars made it - its basically the air getting sucked in but never had the noise on my tdi passat - i was thinking its due to the brand new turbo?

Also under hard acceleration it puts out alot of black smoke, well more so than my tdi passat did, just wondered what this could be or if it is normal, and as im getting a re-map would this solve as i was told it would.

Last of all when i put my foot flat down in 4th to 5th sometimes the car goes into limp mode and turbo turns of until i turn the car of and on again..... i was thinking it may be a safty device to protect the car and was thinking it may be due to the new turbo??

Any help or advice would be really helpfull

many Thanks

Ant:)

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
KINGANT said:
Hi guys,

just want to see what you guys say here as i have no idea. I have a 1999 gt tdi golf mk4 and it has had a new turbo and it does make a nice but loud wooshing noise, all my turbo petrol cars made it - its basically the air getting sucked in but never had the noise on my tdi passat - i was thinking its due to the brand new turbo?

Also under hard acceleration it puts out alot of black smoke, well more so than my tdi passat did, just wondered what this could be or if it is normal, and as im getting a re-map would this solve as i was told it would.

Last of all when i put my foot flat down in 4th to 5th sometimes the car goes into limp mode and turbo turns of until i turn the car of and on again..... i was thinking it may be a safty device to protect the car and was thinking it may be due to the new turbo??

Any help or advice would be really helpfull

many Thanks

Ant:)
black smoke means too much fuel and not enough air (turbo boost)

Have you checked all the hoses and connections to make sure they are not loose??

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
you need a 3 bar map sensor to stop limp mode but you also need it re-mapping to adjust for it.
but yes im having the same problem my car has everything it needs including re-tune for the bigger turbo , and it feels much quicker to . but it also is giving off black smoke a little with small injectors , which means i must have a leak somewhere. but thats all down to installation and when i get the chance i,ll have good look.

Last edited:

KINGANT

TDI
1999 GT TDI 110
Hi guys thank you very much for all your help. Yeah i did have a leak the main boost pipe had a split and the turbo would not even wine up so i glued the 1cm rip and gaffer taped it lol. need a new one, i need to check the intercooler pipes as thats were the sound comes from, sounds like loads of air wooshing in..... I will be getting it checked over by VW then when get the all clear ill be getting it mapped. so hope that will solve the limp and smoke?????????

cog said:
you need a 3 bar map sensor to stop limp mode but you also need it re-mapping to adjust for it.
but yes im having the same problem my car has everything it needs including re-tune for the bigger turbo , and it feels much quicker to . but it also is giving off black smoke a little with small injectors , which means i must have a leak somewhere. but thats all down to installation and when i get the chance i,ll have good look.

KINGANT

TDI
1999 GT TDI 110
haha so true..well i called my local VW garage and they wanted about £70 to read from a computer so i googled other vw garages and so happens theres 2 garages with ex vw mechanics with in 10 miles of my house lol so called both and one called VASS Tuning (whichchurch, bucks) said bring it in and they will have a look for free so i did just that lol and the guy found a leak and ordered a new boost pipe for me - it was from vw and cost £53 they are fitting tomorrow and also going to read diognostics and wipe any errors that may have been caused from the leak, they are only charging me for half an hours labour to fit pipe, do a diognostics check and wipe any errors for £22 so im happy and would recommend them, will post on here when im back to let you no how it all goes.

Thanks guys for all your help and advice - your all stars lol

:)

Ant

cog said:
just his right arm and left leg :D