Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck finally available!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Just stopped by my local Autozone, and they have cases of 6 1qt bottles of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 @ $36/6q. They hadn't even labeled the shelf yet.

After saying it will be out 'soon' it's about time! Has anyone else found this product yet?

Now if Autozone would just carry a half descent filter I could one stop shop :rolleyes:

-Jason

mdp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Do you mean it's actually VW approved? Would be nice:)

VW parts man told me last Oct. that he heard after Jan. 1st we should see "compliant" oil in auto parts stores. May be true.

Last edited:

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
compu_85 said:
5W40. As I understand it, this is the same product as Delvac 1 5W40, and the old Truck and SUV 5w40.

-J
Yep, it's Delvac 1 and not VW approved. Those of you with PDs should steer clear of it! ;)

G

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
When you blow up your car can I have it Mark? I've always loved that gunmetal gray color ;) I'll give you my crusty old 99.5.... it's much less picky about oils ;)

-J

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
Bob_Fout said:
Advantages over Rotella T 5w40?
Fully synthetic Group IV (PAO). Rotella Syn is Group III (and a mighty good one too). Shell does not make any Group IV or Group V oils. Even their Helix Ultra 10w60 Ferrari factory fill is GIII. :)

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
compu_85 said:
When you blow up your car can I have it Mark? I've always loved that gunmetal gray color ;) I'll give you my crusty old 99.5.... it's much less picky about oils ;)

-J
Sorry man, but it looks like it will keep running a little while longer. :D

G

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
GMARK said:
Fully synthetic Group IV (PAO). Rotella Syn is Group III (and a mighty good one too). Shell does not make any Group IV or Group V oils. Even their Helix Ultra 10w60 Ferrari factory fill is GIII. :)
After 300,000 miles...what difference am I gonna see between Syntec 5w40 (Group 3) Rotellta T 5w40 (Group 3) and M1 TDT 5w40 (Group 4)?

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
After 300,000 miles...what difference am I gonna see between Syntec 5w40 (Group 3) Rotellta T 5w40 (Group 3) and M1 TDT 5w40 (Group 4)?
Probably none. Most Group III oils are now so good that there really isn't much difference anymore. I had very good UOA results with both Motul and Pentosin GIII 505.01 oils. I would say that Syntec 5w40 has the weakest additive package of any I've seen and would not use or recommend it to anyone. IMO, RTS, Delo 400 Syn, Schaeffer's 9000, and "German Castrol" 0w30 are much better choices. GC even has 502.00, 503.01 and 505.00 approval and is also CF rated. ;)

G

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Gmark...there are VE motors with 300,00 miles that used Syntec 5w40 exclusively.... they are still running fine.

If my local autozone carries M1 TDT 5w40, it would be a toss-up between that and Rotella T 5w40, as far as non-VW approved oils.

I still wanna try the newfangled 0w30 506.01 oils or 5w30 507.00 ones :)

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
G is correct about GRP III - maybe the only disadvantage is the Turbo charger. People are posting fantastic UOA's with Rotella - Motul - Elf grp III oils. I do wonder though if they will stop producing them soon - Motul has a new all syn so does Elf and Liqui Moly. I can not see Motul having two 505.01 oils. Soon we will have to use the GRP IV. Liqui Moly just wrote Advance and told them to rec to me 507 and not 505.01. The east coast dist said the same.

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Gmark...there are VE motors with 300,00 miles that used Syntec 5w40 exclusively.... they are still running fine.

If my local autozone carries M1 TDT 5w40, it would be a toss-up between that and Rotella T 5w40, as far as non-VW approved oils.

I still wanna try the newfangled 0w30 506.01 oils or 5w30 507.00 ones :)
Bob, your'e absolutely correct. All I'm saying is that there are better choices. (and yes, I know that countless VW dealerships use Syntec 5w40). ;)

Food for thought:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=474812&an=0&page=3#Post474812

IMO, I'd go with the Rotella Synthetic. It is proving to give results equal or superior to true synthetics like Delvac 1 and Amsoil and at much less cost.

G

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bob_Fout said:
After 300,000 miles, the difference will be most noticeable in your bank account... (the Rotella 5W-40 is quite a bit cheaper at WallyWorld...)

Yuri.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
JettaDan said:
As far as I know, Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck is not the same as Mobil Delvec 1.
They are the same. Mobil explicitly states so on their website.

Mobil Oil said:
...Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the same product branded differently for different markets.
I have personally seen TDT on the shelves at most of my local Murray's Discount Auto Parts, which may help others in Northern Illinois (Bob_Fout, looking in your direction).

scurvy

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I've seen the M1 also at Murray's in Arlington Heights. Also saw Amsoil and Redline at the same store some time ago, but didn't memorize the prices.
John

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Well Bob word is that Advance and LM are starting a relationship. If you call around you find the individual stores are not aware yet. I also understand that NAPA is to start. What oils they will carry that will have good availibilty to I do not know. I would imagine it would be the new lines

Top Tec 4100 and 4200 and as well the Long Life 5W30. Those three oils can be used in just about all applications, or I should say a wide range.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Yup, the Syntec works just fine to keep the engine running. Unfortunately, it's not kind to the EGR cooler if you still have one.

Every EGR cooler I've seen that is permanently clogged with the hard, plastic-like material in the honeycomb has faithfully used Syntec since new. I'm not the only one that has noticed this.

Never had an issue with cars that run either the Rotella T synthetic or Delvac1/TDT/T&SUV (old formula).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Yeah, I've seen the boys at the Dodge forums mention "certain" oils leave all sorts of deposits (incl. sticky EGR valves) in unexpected locations.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
dieseldorf said:
Yup, just did my second oil change using this product this morning. It's been in Minnesota Fleet Farms since June I think. Sale price $28.95 for 6/q and I usually buy a box when it does go on sale.
:)

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
Is it rated like the latest Delvac-1, CI-4 "Plus"? Just curious. Might as well post a nice photo of the back of the bottle with all the important info on it. :)

I could not wait this long, so I got a case of the latest Delvac-1 CI-4 plus. I swear, it does smell slightly different from the formulation of 3-4 years ago. :)

Last edited: