2015 golf Sportwagen tdi phase 2 ??

unidenscan

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2010 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hello all,

So I have a question about the phase 2 fix on my 15 golf wagon. I purchased the car new from dealer in 2017, and the car rolled off the lot with phase 1 fix. I’m approaching 30k miles and not sure if I should do the phase 2 or not. I asked my dealer about the extended warranty once phase 2 is done, and they explained that only emission components are covered by the additional warranty. Can anyone clarify this.

Also depending on mileage at the phase 2 fix, the vehicle may have to go in again for additional hardware??

Thanks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read the pamphlet you should have received when you bought the car. Failing that look up the documents online.You should keep a copy of this in the car or on hand for reference. They are right that it only covers emission items but there is a list of what items are considered emissions related, like the engine, turbo, HPFP etc... Along with what you would consider the whole exhaust system and def system and EGR system. It also specifies when the part two should be done by mileage for the particular car and trans. You don't have to get it done then but you can. VW will more than likely try and do it on their own given the chance but you can put it off if you like. Probably better to get it done sooner rather than later though to some extent.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd say drive the car until you have issues that require warranty work the warranty will cover, at that point pull the trigger on phase 2 and keep rolling on.

30K in 2.5 years? she's getting babied.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think dealers will complete the phase 2 fix on '15s until they've reached 50-70K miles (it's lower for DSG cars than manuals). I also wonder if there's a time limit on the availability of the fix. My '15, also bought new in '17, has 13K on it, so I'm not getting to 70K anytime soon.

Drys

TDI
'15 GSW SEL
I bought mine at 41k miles at the end of January 2020 and prior to pickup from VW, they did the Phase 2 fix. I also have the DSG

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
Some dealers might not even have the part. I remember asking my dealer last year when I should get it done and he said they don't even have the part anymore. I didn't really question more as my mileage was low at the time but as it climbs I'm interested to know as well.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have asked my dealer and they stated they don't even have feedback on when exactly this should be done. I seriously doubt they will ever keep parts on hand and just order them when needed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have asked my dealer and they stated they don't even have feedback on when exactly this should be done. I seriously doubt they will ever keep parts on hand and just order them when needed.
Actually they do. And so do you. It's in the paperwork.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read post number 2 please. I already posted that. What I posted this time had to do with my dealer and their knowledge or lack thereof, of what needed to be done and when. Just because it is down on paper doesn't mean they have read it and have direction from VWoA on what to do and access to parts.

Last edited:

unidenscan

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2010 Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks for all the reply’s. Very informative. I do have the supplemental pamphlet and after reading it several times I feel as though some of the information is incorrect or incomplete. Parts of it weren’t exactly clear to me.

My dealer says only emissions parts are covered. If that means engine and turbo, that makes me feel better.

So, my factory warranty I’m pretty sure it 3/36k. If the dealers won’t do the P2 fix until around 50k miles, it seems like my car will be without warranty from 36k to 50k miles. And once the P2 fix is complete it will be covered again.

Yes, the car is babied, and my mileage is actually going down. When I first bought the car I had a 25 miles commute. Now I have a 2 mile commute. It’s essentially a 5 year old car with 30k miles, lol.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
2 mile commute isn't great for it. Make sure you take it on a longer drive now and then. And your emisisons warranty is valid until 11 years/162K miles. It remains in effect as long as you get Phase 2 completed at the designated time/mileage. You can talk to the dealer or VWoA to see when that is in your situation, which doesn't exactly fit the "normal" age and mileage.

The warranty covers the emissions system including some engine components, but not the entire engine. Water pump and timing belt components, for example, aren't covered. But the turbo, injectors, and high pressure pump are. And your car also has a drivetrain warranty: I honestly forget what that is.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Had phase 2 part 1 done at 23k miles. Has more power and quicker throttle response. downside is 2-3 hit on economy. That may not be true due to winter fuel and cold weather though. I see no reason to hold off doing it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The reason I'm not doing it is I don't want the hardware altered from the original emissions system design. I'm more confident about the emissions system durability with original hardware and software.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also be mindful there's two phases 2, one is just an O2 sensor and ECU programing the other is more extensive DPF emission stuff replacement to reach the end of warranty.

Anyone can hit up their dealer and ask for phase 2 at anytime, VWoA will deiced if you get 2A or 2B, we received 2A at 36K. I full expect to need phase 2b before 150K, but not sure if I can get it at 60K unless I have a CEL (Full DPF).

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Also be mindful there's two phases 2, one is just an O2 sensor and ECU programing the other is more extensive DPF emission stuff replacement to reach the end of warranty.

Anyone can hit up their dealer and ask for phase 2 at anytime, VWoA will deiced if you get 2A or 2B, we received 2A at 36K. I full expect to need phase 2b before 150K, but not sure if I can get it at 60K unless I have a CEL (Full DPF).
Interesting, I did not know this? I'm taking my car in to get that razor sharp trim piece looked at, and they mentioned they will do Phase 2 while it's there. I'm guessing it's only the Phase 2A with only 34k on the odo.

--Ryan

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I asked for both 2A and 2B at 36K, the service writer said that makes sense we'll do what VWoA tells us to dol, ended up with only 2A.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No sense replacing perfectly good stuff if not needed. Depending on when you asked it may not have been available for 2b yet either. Seeing as to how they seem to be on nationwide back order now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This was last May, so who knows what the parts were. If the 2B are on back order and VWoA needs to provide a loaner, i wonder how long they'll provide a loaner for if the DPF fills up.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I am pretty sure I got the full 2B replacement/update done back before I had 36k miles on the car.

the car is knocking on the door of 80k miles and I will be completing its 2nd DSG service at that time. ill for sure be hitting 162k miles well before 2028..

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah I think VWoA changed their minds at how they were to roll out phase 2A and 2A+B.

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
Here is my take. When phase two is done an additional five years and 60k mile “emissions” warranty is included. It is to your benefit to NOT have the emissions work done until absolutely necessary.

All 2015s have an 11 year or 162k mile emissions warranty from the original in service date (1st date sold to a customer). That means somewhere between 2025 and 2026 or 162k miles. As long as there are no codes being set for emissions, then I suggest keep driving the car until right before that 162k mile limit OR the 11 years. Then get phase two done. This will then get you and ADDITIONAL 5 years OR 60k miles of full emissions warranty.

Since the DPF is the most expensive component and it is Replaced only once under this warranty it is to your benefit to get as much life out of the original as possible. Why replace it at 40k or 70k if it is not full of ash or malfunctioning. To me a used car that has only had phase one done is MUCH more valuable. The opportunity to get an additional 5 years or 60k miles of warranty somewhere down the road is very attractive.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe. They may not have any parts left by then. It isn't like they have one reserved for every car. I would bet towards the end they will be buying some of these owners out instead of fixing the cars. Many will be lost to normal wrecks and such anyway. Good plan though if everything works out for you. I will get 2b done when needed and not before.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for the 30k service today. When they pulled up my VIN it said 2A and 2B were available. I told them not do either of them right now. I'll wait until they force me to do it to keep whatever is left of my warranty (or pass emissions in CA).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As long as there are no codes being set for emissions, then I suggest keep driving the car until right before that 162k mile limit OR the 11 years.
I think VW is very very confident you won't hit 162k on stock emissions hardware and phase 1 or 2A fix.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Just had 2A done. Anyone know details on what had to be removed to replace oxidation catalyst? Accessible from the top, or does the DPF need to be pulled?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2A is just to install the addtional O2 sensor, they just needed to cut the existing hardware and splice in a sleeve with a bung. 2B is the replacement of more major hardware.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
2A is just to install the addtional O2 sensor, they just needed to cut the existing hardware and splice in a sleeve with a bung. 2B is the replacement of more major hardware.

Thanks.

23Y8 GEN 3 PHASE 2 DIESEL UPDATE

5Q0-253-301-H PIPE
1K0-298-101-D CONV, KIT
PERFORMED ECM SOFTWARE LEVEL UPDATE SVM G3S2

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
I think VW is very very confident you won't hit 162k on stock emissions hardware and phase 1 or 2A fix.
It has nothing to do with emissions equipment NOT making it to 162k. The replacement of the DPF and other parts was strictly due to EPA emissions.

As emissions components rack up miles the amount of NOx and other emissions goes up slightly. The EPA mandated that emissions needed to be kept within the legal federal range. THIS is what mandated the DPF and other parts be replaced at 70k miles. Emissions would be non-compliant when the vehicle passes 70k miles.

It has nothing to do with whether the DPF stops functioning or is full of ash at 70k miles. That is why I see not doing phase 2b until either a CEL is on or the the in service warranty is nearing its end.

Compare a 2015 with only phase 1 done to a 2014 where there is a single phase. You could buy a 2014 that is fixed at 30k miles. It will have warranty for 10 years or 120k miles for original in service date. On a 2014 that was sold in 2013 that means the warranty is up in 2023. Unless you can put 90k miles on the car in three years you will hit the end of line for in-service warranty coverage in 2023. Assuming a dealer just did the warranty repair in 2020 then you would have an additional 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date of the repair.

In the above scenario the 48,000 miles is meaningless since the the in service warranty mileage is longer. The four years gets you to 2024 (one more year), but this means you can only average 12k miles per year before the mileage portion runs out.

On a 2015 MY you get 11 years or 162k miles from in service. This pushes you to 2025 minimum. This also give you 26k miles per year for those five years. Say this is normal for you. Then in 2025 you go in for phase 2b (VW has to comply with the court order. There is no expiration date). The warranty is then extended to 2030 or an additional 60k miles.

Potentially this means a 2014 MY runs out of coverage somewhere around 2024. A 2015 potentially has coverage until 2030 (six additional years vs the 2014) or up to 212k miles.

If you were really lucky and got one of those NEW stop sale vehicles that was sold in 2017 as new then you could have warranty until 2032.

"Emissions" warranty covers a LOT more than most people think: Essentially everything from the high pressure fuel pump to past the DPF. It also includes the engine long block. So essentially ALL of the diesel engine parts that are expensive and not wear parts.

A 2014 should be worth thousands less than a 2015 with only phase one. For the 2009-2011 model year vehicles it is vitally important to ONLY buy them if the emissions warranty was RECENTLY completed. Anything fixed in 2017-2018 time frame has half the warranty gone already. The ONLY exception would be if the car was fixed by a VW dealer and then sat for two years. If a VW dealer sells a "Fixed" car then the warranty starts when the first purchaser post fix buys the car. This ONLY applies if a VW DEALER sells the car. If the emissions warranty is pretty much gone on a 2009-2012 TDI then it should be priced similar to a used car lot on good condition or maybe closer to private party value.

If you find a 2011 with a fix done in the last month or two that could be a really good deal that would include four years/48k miles of warranty. I would still argue that a 2015 with only phase one is a better long term value. If it is a CPO as well then it is an even better value as long as the dealer isn't assigning thousands of $$ of value to CPO. It has about $750-800 of value and no more.

Last edited: