frequently asked torque specs

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed
According to the Timing belt how-to and earlier in this thread, the Harmonic Balancer bolts (6mm allen head) are 7 ft/lbs (10NM) +90 degrees.

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed
Looking for the torque spec for the rear axle bushing bracket bolts - 4 on each side 16mm head size.

AUDI/VW 2014

TDI
1,9 AJM
Hello
Do you have torque specs for Audi 1.9 TDI Motorcode AJM also ?

I dismantled the rod bearings ,they looks OK after 300.000 Km

Mitdi02

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (das Esel)
Turbo oil Supply / Feed line torque specs

Can someone please help. Trying to put together my 02 jetta tdi, replacing the turbo. Seems like I'm finding conflicting torque specs for the oil feed and supply lines at each point. Can someone please tell me the specs for each location.

Oil return line at turbo (I think there are two bolts but for life of me I don't know which ones they are any more in my tray)
Oil return line at block
Oil supply line union at turbo
Oil supply line banjo bolt

Thanks in advance!

copakabata

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 01M, 1999.5 Jetta 5 spd, 2000 VW Golf 4dr 5 spd
Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Dont believe these are listed...

Oil pump chain tensioner bolt? Edit: 18ft lbs (see thread below)
Oil pump sprocket bolt? Edit: 11 ft lbs
You got it backwards!!! The tensioner bolt is 11 Ft*Lbs, and the oil pump sprocket is 18 Ft*Lbs - with LocTite on oil-free threads!! (Some people go higher...)

Yuri

Drewmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Furthermore, The spec below is indeed what the Bentley says it is, but I believe that 30+90 is just way too much. I torque these to 37ft.lbs only.
My Bentley says for dog bone to transmission: 30 ft. lb. + 1/4 turn for ALH, but just 30 + 1/8 turn for BEW. Weird, since I'm pretty sure the 02J transmission has the same case for both engines.

Actually, values are all over the place for different engines, which makes little sense.
2.0 gas is the same as ALH (30 + 1/4)
1.8T is 30 + 1/4 for the long bolt but just 30 for the short bolt
VR6: AFP is the same as ALH (30 + 1/4); BDF is 37 ft. lb.

The dog bone to subframe bolts are 15 ft. lb. + 1/4 turn for all engines except the BDF, which just says 18. It says "always replace" for all engines except the BDF, and strangely the 2.0.

This manual really needs an editor...

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I just torque those to 37 on all cars. I think the published specs are a joke on those.

My bentley has the sway bar end link bolts at 11ft lbs. they're M10 bolts for cryin' out loud.

LibertyHead

TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI, Monsoon, Sunroof, CD Changer, Heated Leather Mem Pwr Seats, etc
Horizontal Trans Bracket Bolts?

I've seen the new Spec for the vertical bolts(2x18mm) = 74ft lbs.

Can't seem to find the spec of the 3 horizontal bolts though...
I've seen 30 or 33ft lbs. and the How-to over at MTD says 37ft lbs + 1/4 turn:eek:,
but that sounds like a definite strip-out waiting to happen.

So is any1 able to Please provide the proper spec of the 3 horizontal bolts of the trans mount to trans case???

Thanks in advance for any light being shed on this...

Last edited:

LibertyHead

TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI, Monsoon, Sunroof, CD Changer, Heated Leather Mem Pwr Seats, etc
Bueller......Bueller......:D

Anybody have the torque spec for the 3 horizontal bolts that hold the rear trans mount to the case???:confused:

I really need to get this back together...Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I just did an ALH timing belt and upgraded the 3 injection pump sprocket bolts to the new gold bolts (NON stretch bolt for ALH motor injection pump. Replaces VW part number N 903 285 04)

The old bolts were stretch bolts and i believe 15 ftlbs and 1/4 turn, what is the torque for the new gold NON stretch bolts? tried a bunch of searches and came up empty.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Looking for the torque spec for the center axle flange bolt on a 5sp. - passenger side. Thanks in advance.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
[FONT=&quot]Kerma recommends screwing down the nozzle retaining nut with a wrench until it bottoms out on the injector and is "snug". Then take a deepwell socket and breaker bar and tighten it 30 degrees.

He has some experience with this...

Yuri
[/FONT]

Paulius

TDI
Hello. Does anybody know what torque spec is for 1.9 tdi 81kw AFN/AVG engine timing belt tensioner stud to engine block? I know what nut is 20nm ,but I can't find information about the stud. Thank you

alkmisc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta (6 speed)
Anyone know the torque for the screws holding the two halves of the ALH vacuum pump together? Thanks!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten

alkmisc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta (6 speed)
I think those are the ones for attaching pump to block but the pump itself has some screws that actually hold the two halves of the pump together if you want to get to the insides. I can't find anything in the Bentley for the torque for those screws.

Good luck getting a torque wrench in there (although, someone on here did come up with a rather ingenious solution).

I think the spec is like 15ft-lb.
(confirmed on like the fifth line of runonbeer's first post of this thread)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What is the torque spec on the UPPER sway bar end link bolt?

"Sway bar end link at control arm: 33ft lb"

That's for the bottom. No top listed.

My Bentley manual has the part listed as "Bolt, socket head hex," but no torque value specified. AND, for the bottom one they show 11 ft-lbs. This obviously is in conflict with what is posted here in this thread (and probably most everywhere else).

I'm pretty sure I've torqued the bottom bolt to 33ft-lbs (as is listed here). Recent work on the wife's car I looked up the specs in the manual and went with 11ft-lbs for the upper. Not sure if I'd done the same on the daughter's wagon, which was later found to be loose (did I forget to tighten, or did I just torque it to 11 ft-lbs? not sure).

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I'd seen that 11 spec printed in my Bentley and assumed it was an error. It's an M10 bolt. 11? Nah.

I never thought much about the spec on the uppers and I never had to mess with them much but 33 is probably a good bet.

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
What is the head bolt socket called? 2005 Passat 2.0 PD motor. Looks like a cross with a allen head and torx bit, Have to ask at parts store and ..well ya'll know how that can be sometimes

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have a head gasket issue and want to try one more 1/4 turn before I take it apart. Also not sure if the head bolts were replaced. Told me the head gasket had been replaced and they drove it about 3 months and it start smoking again.